PDA

View Full Version : pickling times

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey!
I read a few posts about pickling and how people were afraid that the solder would come apart, dissolve or something...
Would anyone be able to tell me what kind of time they mean by "too long in the pickle". Is it two days, or a week? I don't hesitate to leave my work in the pickle for 2 days. Should I not?
Also, I read that after soldering the piece should go in the pickle without waiting or the oxide could "settle" in the metal. But I sometimes file and sand my piece first and then leave it for the night in the pickle. Is it a mistake?

Thank you so much!

kymbi
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't leave my silver in the pickle too long - pop it in, wander off to do something else and then retrieve - it's not usually more than an hour or so, but I don't know if it harms the metal if it's in overnight or longer.

If you pop the metal into the pickle right after soldering, you may find you need to do less sanding and polishing - the pickle will remove the firestain so you have a better view of what finishing it needs.

reeves
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
It doesnt really matter how long you leave work in the pickle a few minutes or hour or so really depends how much fire you use,I agree with the last post your better off putting the piece in the pickle before you start filling or buffing it,makes less work of it.Personally i tend to put my work in the pickle for a few minutes,especially if your working with silver.:snow:

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok we might be using the wrong concentration then...coz a few minutes does nothing at all!
Thanks!

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I rarely leave anything for more than about 10 minutes - I use alum as a pickle, and keep it fairly warm (which makes a huge difference).

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
OK I think i see what the problem is: we leave the pickle pyrex bowl in the kitchen... and it's COLD!
One morning a couple of weeks ago when we got up the pickle had actually FROZEN (though the temperature was above 0 outside:confused:)! That's the Scottish North Coast for you...

I'm putting it on top of the fire for 5 minutes and I'll you know!

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

we reuse our pickle (water and crystals in pyrex bowl), and we change it every few weeks (we don't use it that much.)

Are we being ridiculously eco-friendly? Should we use new solution every time with hot water?
That sure would speed things up!

In French we have a saying that goes "I'll go to sleep a less dumb person tonight".

:ta:

EmmaRose
08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
no need for a new solution. I have found you get some blackening if you it leave it in too long. A hotplate under the pyrex bowl will do the job. Or I have a slow cooker from Argos (under £20). Solution goes a bluish colour when spent.
Em
x:xmaswave:

Emerald
08-12-2009, 04:45 PM
There is no need to use new pickle everytime, water will evaporate but the chemical does not so you can just top it up with water as JJ says from the kettle once pickle turns a greeney blue colour then is the time to change but even then it will still clean if hot, just takes longer

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
so if the solution is blue, replace? And that's where the blacking comes from...

Thanks so much guys, sorry for needing such basic help:juggle:

Emerald
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Blackening will also come from leaving in the pickle to long, like days

Mila Jewellery
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Tesco's have slow cookers for £10 at the moment ;)

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Lol, I can't even remember that last time I changed my pickle and it still works fine, but I have a fancy cooksons mini pickle unit... bought before I heard about the slow cooker possibilities.

Emerald
08-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh Mila thank you i was going to buy one from argos as i have have just run out of Meths again(note to self buy more wine) my workshop is stuck in the dark ages lol :Y:

Fi Wilson
08-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I use a slow cooker (from Argos) for pickling and it works just fine. Just on the issue of replacing your pickle solution, how do you do it? Pour away or put in sealed container, etc.? My original pickle solution is going strong but I've been wondering. :confused:

Fi

Emerald
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Nic Suggested sometime ago you allow it to Chrystalize and then take it to the tip and put it in the toxic department

Fi Wilson
08-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Ahhh! Interesting. Suppose it would make sense to do something along those lines. Thanks Jo. :Y:

Ooh, it will be like going back to that chemistry class at school where you allow the salty water to evaporate to leave salt crystals! :xmaslaugh:

Emerald
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I have a whole Jar of Chrystalized safety pickle as it dident like to be stored for 11 years lol so i will be off to the tip with it.

caroleallen
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
It's not a good idea to leave work in the pickle for too long as it can go black. I've found that you can burn the black off with a torch. It gives off a bright green flame which must be copper I think.

mochiandmocha
09-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes I've seen the Green Flame too.

As for the slow cooker, I just left the jar on the fire/boiler last night... It worked wonders!!

bustagasket
09-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I use a slow cooker (from Argos) for pickling and it works just fine. Just on the issue of replacing your pickle solution, how do you do it? Pour away or put in sealed container, etc.? My original pickle solution is going strong but I've been wondering. :confused:

Fi

in one of my books it says to neutralise it with bicarbonate of soda and then it can be safely poured down the drain. Whether it is correct or not is another matter lol

Ominicci
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I think Nic warned us off that in a previous thread Su... <:)-