PDA

View Full Version : Payment

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Right, I'm in a muddle again... just got an email from a customer from my website who would like an item quickly. How long does a cheque take to clear? Is it standard practice to say 'I will send you the items as soon as the cheque has cleared?' I think it all might be too late, but I would appreciate some help! xxx

agent_44
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Cheques normally take 3 - 5 days, and yeah, you shouldn't send anything out until it has cleared.

geti-titanium
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Have you got a PayPal account they could send the funds to.

People who rush you to send goods are sometimes fraudsters so you need to be careful - a lot are mostly genuine as well though.

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
OOOh Geti you are a genius!!! Yes, I have a pay pal account, would that be fairly straight forward to do? I've only ever spent money on paypal;)

I would never send something to a stranger without payment, I just thought it sounded a bit rude in the email, but I guess thats business for you;)

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
I had a look on paypal, it looks to me like its on the 'Request money' tab, then all I need is the customers email address, I enter the amount and click 'goods'? Is that right? Would they then open their paypal account and the request would be there, and it would all be nice and easy?

geti-titanium
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Just login to PayPay and you should see the link for requesting money - they don't need to have a PayPal account to do this either, just an email address

AlexandraBuckle
08-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I had a look on paypal, it looks to me like its on the 'Request money' tab, then all I need is the customers email address, I enter the amount and click 'goods'? Is that right? Would they then open their paypal account and the request would be there, and it would all be nice and easy?

I think if you request money on paypal it then sends them an email, which they click a link on and it goes to their paypal log in. If they don't have paypal they can just pay by card i think.
So as long as you have their email address it should be fine :)

AlexandraBuckle
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
yep wot he said :)

Petal
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I think I'd be wary of taking a cheque from someone. Cheques 'can' take 10 days to clear, that's how long some building societies/banks give you before you can use the funds. 3-5 is the norm, but they can be a lot slower than that.

Paypal sounds like a much better idea.

Good luck.

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone, been trying to say thanks for ages but cooksons went all crazy on me. Ended up sending a nice clear email to my potential customer and have started making the cufflinks (if she doesn't want them they are part of my collection anyway and I always need more!).
Glad I have some kind of system now though, I always thought paypal would be good for my website but didn't realize you could could do separate payments so easily!
Thanks again... you guys are awesome;)

Emerald
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
OOOh Geti you are a genius!!!

Now thats not something you hear often !:raspberry: :X

Glad you got it sorted Charlotte

geti-titanium
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Now thats not something you here often

I know you love me really :X

EmmaRose
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
LOL, its nice to see your face finally too Geti :)))

Don't want to rain on your parade, but wasn't there something a while back about paypal clearing and then taking back monies???? sure it is a remote chance but just something to bear in mind!!!
:xmastree:
Em
x

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks, yeah I always charge extra to send special delivery!

I just tried to request money from myself (using different email address of course) just to see what the process was and it seems as though you would have to set up a pay pal account. Have I done this right?

Emerald
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Usually when you go on the Paypal site you are given two options you can either log onto your Paypal and pay throught the cards you have stored or you can just type in a card number and name etc

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Ahh I must have missed that thanks. Is a paypal payment instant? I think thats my last question on the matter! Thanks so much for the replies, I would have been totally stuck without you! My customer is trying to bargain with me;)

EmmaRose
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Pretty much, like 5 minutes I think!
LOL no bargaining!!! Tell them you have paypal fees to pay!
I had someone asking for a discount on £15 earrings recently! like I already don't cut my own throat to sell them at that price!
Em

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Lol, well I'm still making a profit off them as I normally sell at whole sale, but this was through my website so I made it retail price. Waiting for the verdict now. I have like a day and a half to make some cufflinks... I'm pushing my luck;) (filing as we speak... anyone else use computer/tv time to file/sand? Lol.