PDA

View Full Version : mouldable wax

vini the kiwi
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
hi all
anyone know of a wax or polymer that one can mould and emboss that sets to form a lost wax free form negative

vini

ben b
07-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Can u give a little bit more info?
some of this depends on the process, such as if your casting yourself, or if its to be 'burned out' or used to make a rubber and so on.

the first obvious choice when you say emboss, is the hard red envelope sealing wax, like you would imprint a seal ring into. This sets rock hard, but you may have probs with a 3rd party caster, if that was the wax, and not a wax 'model' to be waxed again by them.

Ominicci
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
s,ʇı llɐ ʞǝǝɹƃ oʇ ǝɯ!!

vini the kiwi
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
thanks for replies

I wish to cast one off bespoke mounts around irregular stones now, I could model it in Plasticine or the like then make a silicone mould of it .then cast the wax blank attach pours and vents set it slurry etc and cast in the usual way, but the silicon stage seems a bit of a waste of time as I will discard it due to the bespoke nature of the stone I wish to set. far better a product that behaves much as metal clay, in as much as it would set hard then become the lost wax blank its self

there is this product Ferris File-A-Wax Carving Wax : Casting-Equipment & Supplies, Wax & Tools, Wolf Wax & Tools : Tools & Metals : Otto Frei Ferris File-A-Wax Carving Wax - Jewelry Tools, Jewelry Supplies, and Findings (http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=1866)

but its not soft the thin slabs and rounds would be of use if I could attach a softer hard setting wax to it .if you get my drift

αυτιά σας μυρωδιά των πορτοκαλιών :reindeer:

ps_bond
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Revoplast (http://www.suttontools.co.uk/acatalog/info_WX040a.html)?

Never used it, but it sounds like it may fit the application.

ben b
08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Ah...Jason john is your man here (you could PM him using his profile and send private message option).

He has quite a bit of experience in using the delft clay casting method (casting himself) and has done what your wanting, that is, made settings for baroque stones.

Now, depending on the stone (of course!) and its resistance to heat! you could WARM the stone, or warm the wax (wax, just like in the link you posted.... this is common in the trade, and i think cookies sell it..AND there is a colour coded, SOFTER one) and just push the stone in, so it forms the inner seat....then, file away the edges to produce the wall thickness wanted. Best to drill a hole through the wax first, so you can push the stone out, once youve squashed it in the soft wax, as it will have a hole in it anyway for light transmittion once done.

Give jase a PM...as he can give you 'hands on' experience of exactly this.

vini the kiwi
08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
thanks Mr Bond

seems a bit money penny:) wonder what light spectrum triggers setting but its the kind of thing I am looking for thanks . perhaps heated up caring wax may work , I want to push the stone into then remove same leaving the created bezel flange to be closed round the stone after casting, I am real new to this, so forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong, also got some frit today for enameling I will probably get into a right old mess but that's how I learn ,I know the purity of the silver is important when enameling lets see what I end up making at worst we can all have a good laugh :reindeer:

ps_bond
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
seems a bit money penny:) wonder what light spectrum triggers setting but its the kind of thing I am looking for thanks.

Somewhat expensive, yes - for dabbling anyway; I can see it being useful in a production environment. All the compounds I've seen like this have used UV to trigger the reaction; suitably energetic without being *too* hazardous.

vini the kiwi
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Ah...Jason john is your man here (you could PM him using his profile and send private message option).

He has quite a bit of experience in using the delft clay casting method (casting himself) and has done what your wanting, that is, made settings for baroque stones.

Now, depending on the stone (of course!) and its resistance to heat! you could WARM the stone, or warm the wax (wax, just like in the link you posted.... this is common in the trade, and i think cookies sell it..AND there is a colour coded, SOFTER one) and just push the stone in, so it forms the inner seat....then, file away the edges to produce the wall thickness wanted. Best to drill a hole through the wax first, so you can push the stone out, once youve squashed it in the soft wax, as it will have a hole in it anyway for light transmittion once done.

Give jase a PM...as he can give you 'hands on' experience of exactly this.

thanks ben and jason Hmmm hot stone? hot wax ,hot tools nephrite jade is akin to asbestos i,ll cook abit and see
ta muchly guys experimenting all part of the fun Mr bonds link seems Ideal but costly may see whats about on the world market

vini the kiwi
09-12-2009, 09:57 AM
All Fix Epoxy Putty would do the job I think, just found it on a google search.

Mouldable and sets to rock hard within a few hours and it's cheap Vini. :Y:

I think Milliput would be a better option as you wont have to import this from USA. (silvergrey or superfine white)

yes jason good for pattern making, think I will have to go with the silicone mould stage and make wax blank found some suitable waxes for all stages, missed out on a jeweler's wax injection machine

Jewellers Lost Wax Wax Injecting Machine on eBay (end time 07-Dec-09 20:41:47 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330381364464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)
but found a pourable wax
thanks for help :Y:

Lindyloo
09-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone tried the red mouldable wax? I've seen it used, but not used it myself. I think it is part of the Ferris range, and softer than the rest. You can mould it with your fingers. But I'm not sure about hardening, and whether you can then drill it etc. But perhaps the drilling part could be left until after it is cast?

Thanks for that info on melting the wax though Jason. That's sounds worth a try.

Lindyloo
09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, and hello Vini, from a fellow antipodean (Australian).

vini the kiwi
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, and hello Vini, from a fellow antipodean (Australian).

hi ya I,m a dual national technically a pomwi lived on the west coast for 15yr
both my older sprogs at varcity in nz, how ya finding london, dark this time of year

Lindyloo
09-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Snap Vini. We've been here for 18 years, and I am also dual nationality as my Dad is English. So that makes me a pomzi? Are you Greek too? My OH is Greek.

vini the kiwi
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
hi all ferris

file o wax on cousins uk website, they state that it burns out cleanly so I have taken a punt and purchased some they have sheets and a wire selection box, imagine you melt some to use as glue the blue has flexibility so hopefully can use as pattern or lost wax

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/7/0/1144.aspx

vini

vini the kiwi
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Snap Vini. We've been here for 18 years, and I am also dual nationality as my Dad is English. So that makes me a pomzi? Are you Greek too? My OH is Greek.

no linda not greek but spent 4 month there in the early 80s out on the islands had a great time