PDA

View Full Version : Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU???

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 05:50 PM
You might think we'd know this seemingly simple answer but it can cause some heated debate
among the most placid of folks...

I guess if you make or sell your jewellery / skills in that field then you're a Jeweller,
but what else are you and is that how you define yourself?

For example as I make precious metal jewellery, I'm a GOLDSMITH even if I mainly work in silver.
The dictionary defines a goldsmith, as "any person who makes small objects of precious metals,
usually for personal adornment".

A SILVERSMITH according to the dictionary is a person who works on larger hollowware & flatware;
things like candle-holders, knifes, forks, spoons, plates etc....

Given that I rarely work with gold, "goldsmith" doesn't really feel appropriate, however impressive it might
sound on business cards! I previously thought a better term for me was either "metalsmith" or "silversmith"
but I learnt that neither of those are right at all!

So, I have decided I'm an Artisan Jeweller. Artisan because it reflects the creativity I put
into my pieces and "jeweller" because I can't think of anything else!!

Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
24-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I think of myself as a jewellery designer/maker - but it sounds a bit clunky so I don't describe myself as that.

I've often had this dilemna. What am I?

Charlotte
24-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I stopped calling myself a Jeweller because people always assumed I worked with beads for some reason, so I tend to call myself a silversmith now... although I'm starting to work with gold, I don't have the right to call myself a goldsmith yet;)

The worst was when I was at uni doing 'Design Crafts' and people used to think I made quilts and table decorations;)

SilverByRosie
24-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I would say I'm a jewellery maker. Silversmith doesn't sit right as I don't do much "smithing", i.e. soldering and heating, and I don't always use silver. I use silver, copper, brass, aluminium. Pretty much anything I can bend :)

Jeweller sounds too professional for me, as this is really just a hobby for me that occasionally gets me a bit of spending money. It also puts me more in mind of the high street jewellers like H Samuels etc.

I don't think my skills are good enough to call myself an artisan!

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I always presumed Silversmith but seem to refer to myself most often as a Jeweller as it covers the most sins. H.Samuel is a jewellers and they have all kinds of things for sale.

I might however join you in the Artisan Jeweller category as that sounds rather impressive :)

julie
24-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Jewellery Technician maybe :rolleyes:

Milomade
24-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I call myself a designer/artist as I do lots of things that involve design and art. I don't class myself as a silversmith or a goldsmith at all and I don't want to pigeon myself into being a jeweller either as I make other things besides jewellery...it's complicated bing multi faceted!

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 02:35 PM
How you label yourself is extremely important, isn't it. I retired from midwifery 3 years ago (health) and I have only just got over the bereavement of loosing my 'midwife' label (sad or what :rolleyes:).

I like artisan jeweller - I think it expresses the originality, artistry, and creativity that go into creating jewellery. So

love
Di
Artisan Jeweller

Petal
28-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I would say I'm a jewellery maker. Silversmith doesn't sit right as I don't do much "smithing", i.e. soldering and heating, and I don't always use silver. I use silver, copper, brass, aluminium. Pretty much anything I can bend :)

Jeweller sounds too professional for me, as this is really just a hobby for me that occasionally gets me a bit of spending money. It also puts me more in mind of the high street jewellers like H Samuels etc.

I don't think my skills are good enough to call myself an artisan!

Like SilverBy Rosie, I have no idea what to call myself and haven't given myself a 'label' so far. :confused:I have had no tuition (yet) and have self taught all I know so far, although I'm planning on some short non-qualification course(s) soon. What's the Self Representing Artists Association like - I agree with their ethos of not copying designs and not using mass produced items, but am I right in thinking that this is an association for glass artists?

I'd like to join them, but feel I'd have to be trained with a qualification and wonder if anything exists for jewellery crafters?

Oh, I guess I'll just have to take a silversmithing course, then I can call myself an Artisan jeweller!!! :)))

What do you think guys?

Jules
Beadworkers Guild Member

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I am just a noob :(

Petal
28-07-2009, 02:59 PM
:">... me too

That's it - I MUST get on and make some stuff today!! Keep those hands away from the keyboard.[-X

Jules x

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 03:01 PM
lol i am supposed to be posting invoices at work (shhhh dont tell hubby), but i am so frightened of missing some vital bit of information on here, that i keep checking the "todays Posts" lol. Tomorrow is one of my crafting days, but it's gonna be a little spoiled by a hospital appointment in the morning :(

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 03:52 PM
oh Su LOL []
designer- maker.....I guess! if not klutz LOL ;)
Em

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't know those definitions either. I call myself a jeweller but I suppose that does cover a multitude of sins!

mizgeorge
28-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I have described myself as an artisan jeweller. I'm no silversmith (can't be doing with trinket boxes and napkin rings, though I can make them), and I'm not a goldsmith (either in training or style). However, I'm also not a traditional jeweller, and don't have the tools or some of the skills to be able to call myself one. I think I need to go a long way and learn a great deal more before I can earn that title.

I also don't like calling myself a jewellery designer (though I am an SRAJD member) - not because it's not what I do, but because the label has become attached to far too much poorly finished bead stringing and cheap costume stuff, which is definitely not what I do!

Interesting thread.

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Artisan jeweller does sum it up well but I think people would think I was "up myself". I agree though that just "jeweller" doesn't really do it. There must be another term that would be better.

agent_44
28-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I also dislike using the word artisan, it sounds a bit poncey to me! No offence meant to anyone who likes to use it!

I use Jewellery Designer and Maker - it's a bit more of a mouthful but to the point and covers any perceivable jewellery making technique because of its non-specificness. :)

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I know what you guys mean about the term "Artisan" but the dictionary definition isn't too "up itself", lol
Mirriam Webster dictionary...
Artisan
1 : a worker who practices a trade or handicraft : craftsperson

Etymology:Middle French, from northern Italian dialect form of Tuscan artigiano, from arte art, from Latin art-, ars

I'm striving to create beauty (albeit my version of it) and to me it is no different from Artists painting pictures.
The main difference being they can charge £10000's for a red quare on a yellow square or a spray painted wall ~
cause it's "Art" aint it!!

The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent.
The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artist.
~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

Nicola x

agent_44
28-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh you definitely deserve to class your self an artist, so what you say makes total sense, just don' think it's 'me' IYSWIM. Anyhoo, Ive seem a shedload more art in your work than a million red squares on yellow backgrounds ;)

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I like 'Artisan' and am goign to use it in my website. And part of the wiki definition says "Manufacture by hand and with hand tools imparts unique and individual qualities to artisanal products, in contrast to mass produced goods where every one is nearly identical" and "Artisan handmade jewellery is prized for its uniqueness, variety, and beauty. Reflecting the talents of the artisan onto the wearer, the broad spectrum of artisan jewelry is available to provide satisfaction to royalty, rock stars, and "everyday folk." "

There is an everyday tool (hardware) shop in Bristol called Artisan lol.

I didn't realise that Silversmithing was producing the items that Nic mentions in her first post, but like others don't think that 'goldsmithing' applies to me even if it IS what I do. I really don't like 'jeweller' as I think that conveys setting precious jewels (which I don't do) even though it really means jewellery as in adornments.

I also don't think I am a good 'designer' so don't tend to use that word much either. In fact I have half a dozen large cabs that I want to set and they have been sat here for ages as I can't 'see' what to do with them - I don't want to just put them in a plain bezel setting. I feel a design challenge thread coming on - anyone up for that?

AlexandraBuckle
29-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Great idea. Will you make the winning design for us?

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll make all of them if I like them :Y:!! Helps ME out anyway :D

Charlotte
29-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, I think Artisan Jeweller sounds good for business (website/cards etc) but for anyone who asks e.g. hairdresser etc I think I'll still say silversmith even though I don't make knives and forks, it just seems to be understood by the general public (i.e. people who don't read the dictionary) what I do;)

Ominicci
30-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes that's what I normally say too.

Sheltie
30-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Never really called myself anything. Although I have been descibed as a Viking Silversmith and Artisan is often used by others to describe me, so this is probably what I will use.

My slogan is always

Handmade Jewellery Inspired by Time

myke
30-07-2009, 08:16 PM
were all inspired by time ......

MuranoSilver
30-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm quite inspired by Majoram....;)
The "slogan" I use in my website is "Jewellery Created by Hand & Heart"
nic xx

BS_YB
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I am Jewellery Repairer but some have called me a jeweller/jobber/Goldsmith/jack of all trades.

I see day in and day out, the best and worst of manufactured and designed jewellery that comes through my hands. It is far harder to repair a badly designed piece than to make it from scratch. Attention is not paid to how elements of a finished piece interact and wear or fatigue other elements to make certain future failure and shorten the life of the item.

YB

Sorting others mistakes for 10+ years

bustagasket
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I am rather fond also of the term Silversmith although I wouldn't class myself as one yet, maybe in 3 or 4 years or so when properly experienced.

At present I am a hobbyist silversmith. :)

I like that term :D

Fiona
15-08-2009, 11:14 PM
No idea what I should call myself.. I make lampwork beads, turn them into jewellery using sterling and fine silver, make my own earwires, headpins, clasps and stuff.... dunno what I am.. jack of all trades - master of none :)

Rock Hard Fairy
16-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I can't or dare call myself anything just yet as I'm a complete beginner but as most of what I've done uses metals and semi precious stones (rocks!) and involves music I do like the term metalsmith!!! :)

Matp85
16-08-2009, 10:03 AM
it seems to me that the terms "silversmith" and "goldsmith" are terms used by anyone to put on cards, websites and to make them look good (without offending people who truly value the words and meanings).

I work in many areas covering repairs, casting and mould making so i wouldn't know what to call myself. I sometimes use the word jeweller when talking to people but for some reason they just think i sell it rather than work with it, maybe because of high street jewellers.

Like the first post a heated debate this can be :P