PDA

View Full Version : pyrometer

vini the kiwi
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
hi all new to site and smiting posted some of my work on newbie intro

I wonder if anyone can help :~:

just brought a catterson smith muffle kiln it seems to work ok and got it for a good price, and well constructed , but as temperature is so critical in many operations I was wondering if there is a way to check the calibration of the pyrometer there is a screw on the front that can adjust the needle, yes I fiddled with it typical bloke

I read there are these cones you can get that start to collapse at set high temperature
any one used them

thanxs in advance
vini

ps_bond
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd use a suitable thermocouple with a meter, personally. Maplin used to sell one - but I use an inconel sheathed K type with it. The cones would get you in the ballpark though.

I'd have fiddled with it too... :)

Di Sandland
06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd have fiddled with it too... :)

It's a man thing, Peter :(|:(|:(|

vini the kiwi
06-12-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks Di & Pete I flicked an email off to Essex kilns who took over catterson & smith to see if they have them , ran it on test @600c and it held no prob then took it up to 900c but think I need to check as transit may have affected the dial and of course the man thing of fiddling with things, that dont come with instructions, I know your parts of the uk well got friends in Soton and used to visit south molton once or twice a month on business I have some PMC3 so may as well just give it a :(|

vini

vini the kiwi
07-12-2009, 07:29 PM
hi guys found some cones that will do the job
will let you know how they work

vini

ben b
07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
essex kilns....lol.......

why do i find that funny?

you gotta muffle kiln from Essex kilns.....it sounds like the begginning of a pub joke....

:hohoho:

vini the kiwi
10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
it came with white shoe,s and matching hand bag :hohoho: