PDA

View Full Version : Hammering PMC

fi79
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

Hope someone can help. My Aunt's friend has asked me to make her a star shaped pendant but she wants a hammered effect. I haven't worked with SS sheet yet so that's not really a possibility. What I want to know is:

Can I hammer PMC? I'm just not sure if the difference in its properties will make it too fragile or likely to snap.

If I can hammer it how do I do this? What's the best hammer to use (I have a ball pein just now)? How hard to I hit? Do I cover it with something?

How do I finish it? Polish it up or just leave it?

If I can't hammer it I've been racking my brains to think how I could texture it to look hammered. I tried a texture sheet with a kind of marbly/divoty effect but it wasn't right - indents were too deep. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!! :snow:

caroleallen
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Could you maybe hammer it very gently when it's still in it's soft state? I mean just use the ball end of the hammer to make impressions into it.

agent_44
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
What Carole says will work, not sure if the texture will look exactly the same though, but you should be able to hammer when the PMC is fired with no ptoblem.

MuranoSilver
03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
If you're going to hammer PMC then it's best kiln fired at 850 or 900 degrees C for 1 to 2 hours.
This gives it maximum density and strength. If not then fire via torch or hob but double the firing
time (cant hurt) try to make sure the piece is at least 4 cards thick (reduces liklihood of splitting)
If you drill the hole in bone dry clay then make it a little bigger than normal
(the hammering flattens it and makes it a bit smaller)

Hammer with a POLISHED end of a ball pein hammer for a lovely finish.
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/solunarsilverstudio/rosary.jpg

Funnily enough I have just been making a rosary with a cross that I have made from PMC and given it a good hammering!! To be honest - I have done quite a few bits with hammered texture and I have found that so long as it has had a good cook in the kiln - like Nic says - although I have never done 2 hours before! - it seems to take a real bashing without any problems. I have never had any cracking and I have never given it special consideration either! They say when it is fired it works like real metal and I took them at their word!!!

Again - I hope there is an image attached to this as I can't see one on my computer! ...it does make like a bit difficult!!!

MuranoSilver
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I cook flat pieces for an hour and rings for 2 hours at 900 ;)
then I have hammer textured PMC rings too and used ring stretchers on them
nic x

snow_imp
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Barbara that rosary is beautiful, even if you still can't see the photos you're posting.

fi79
03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone - I'll give it a go. Just didn't want to waste any if it wasn't going to work.

Barbara the rosary looks great - love the texture! If I manage that I'll ve a very very happy bunny.