PDA

View Full Version : My first Hallmark!!!

Rustic Charm
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Recieved my first lot of hallmarked things back today!! i'm really excited seems to make things feel sort of real and proper now! LOL x

This one is on the back of a reticulated piece,not a brilliant pic but makes me feel happy!! x

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
:))) cooooool! It looks so professional :D x

bustagasket
02-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I havent heard a thing from the London Assay office, i sent off my application form but havent had a welcome pack o anything. so getting rather worried.

Rustic Charm
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Mine took a while to come through Su,give them a ring to move them along i did as i started to get worried too, they had said about 2 weeks originally but think it was more like 5 when i eventually got notification through.At least my stuff didn't take too long to get hallmarked though!!

Lisa Quinn
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
:)))ooooh very exciting Bridget,:)))

Lisa xx

Ominicci
02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Well done Bridget!!! :Y:

Bigwol
03-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Well done - a rite of passage. - treat yourself to a large beer! - or two!

Dave

AlexandraBuckle
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
yay! Its exciting isn't it :)

agent_44
03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Congratulations! :D

snow_imp
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Congratulations.

I just got my first hallmarked pieces back this week too - they're small on mine, but I don't mind - I know which dot is my initials and that's enough for me.

I never thought I'd have my own makers stamp!

caroleallen
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I've just sent a load of stuff off for same day hallmarking. I hope they do it and return it on the day they get it or it won't be back in time for this weekend. It's costing me double but as I've only got 3 shows to do now I really need it.

Hart-Star
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I got my first batch back too, and I've now got to finish them off.

In this case they placed the marks exactly where I wanted, but I'm not sure if there is a foolproof way of indicating on the all note as well as the individual pieces - e.g. using a marker pen ?

I guess that having paid for the punch and the registration, I'd better get making more pieces.

snow_imp
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I used a fine permanent marker to put where I wanted the stamp placed - it's what the assay office suggested and it seemed to work just fine. They cleaned the marker off before stamping the hallmark.

Rustic Charm
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
i marked mine with a pen too,they didn't clean it off tho but i wiped it off when i got them back, some aren't very deep or straight or evenly struck but it's on there and that's all what matters to me ! lol x

Sterling11
16-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Mine took a while to come through Su,give them a ring to move them along i did as i started to get worried too, they had said about 2 weeks originally but think it was more like 5 when i eventually got notification through.At least my stuff didn't take too long to get hallmarked though!!

Wow
great....Congratulations.........Me too waiting for my first diamond ring.. i ordered 15 days back and i have to collect that...im also so excited like you...

lorraineflee
16-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Sterling11
Welcome to the forum. :xmaswelcome:
Lorraine

elliboo
17-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Congratulations! I've just filled in my paperwork to take down to the Sheffield office tomorrow - so exciting!

Lisa Quinn
17-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Congratulations! I've just filled in my paperwork to take down to the Sheffield office tomorrow - so exciting!

You will have to give us an update of how you got on at the Sheffield Assay office particularly with regards to the service that they provide you.

elliboo
17-12-2009, 05:48 PM
LOL! That sounds slightly ominous! I'm hoping that since they're only 5 mins drive from me it won't be too bad!

Lisa Quinn
17-12-2009, 06:32 PM
No no nothing like that, I was trying to decide which assay office to register with and as I work in Sheffield that would be the most convenient office.

I was hoping that you will give us an up to date review of the quality of service and the quality of the actual marks.

Maybe we can meet up for lunch when you have them back and you could show off your hallmarks !!?

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Well done Bridget! :Y: Getting hallmarking sorted is certainly on my list for 2010.

Like Lisa I've been considering going to Sheffield as I'm based in the northwest, but I suppose it won't make much difference as it will all be done by post, but would be good to know of anyone has had any bad experiences at any particular office so I can figure out where to avoid!!!

Fi

Di Sandland
17-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I wish there was an assay office in the south west, it seems logical to me that the mark should be sort of from the region the piece was made. I'm originally from London so I thought maybe I'd use that office instead - but the feedback is not good.

To be honest, the best feedback I've heard has been from Scotland, with Birmingham a close second.

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Ooh, thanks for the tip off Di. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that I'm an eighth Scottish so maybe I could use that as dubious justification to go to them!!! Or maybe I'll make my decision sensibly and go for the one with the best pretty stamp mark. :-D

Di Sandland
17-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Ooh, thanks for the tip off Di. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that I'm an eighth Scottish so maybe I could use that as dubious justification to go to them!!! Or maybe I'll make my decision sensibly and go for the one with the best pretty stamp mark. :-D

err, that'd be Scotland then - they have a castle ;)

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 08:50 PM
You can read minds!!!! Just checked the marks and Edinburgh's is definitely the nicest. Interestingly though, I've also found a web page which details historical assay marks at Silver Makers Marks (http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/). Seems there was an assay office in the south west in Exeter back around 1850 and guess what... their mark was a castle too!!!! Spooky!!!!

Di Sandland
17-12-2009, 09:14 PM
very spooky, seeing as I'm writing a book that centres on Exeter castle!