PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of advice please

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I want to learn how to set stones so I thought I would start with something fairly big and not too expensive!! I spotted this dichroic glass cab - my pics don't do it justice, it's really pretty. Anyway, I want to make it into a pendant, rubover setting ideally with an open back but wanted a few pointers on the best way of doing this, or any other suggestions for setting it.

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Crikey! I think I would start with a nice 3mm round cz :)

Rustic Charm
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
My very first was a teardrop faceted stone put me off for ages!! lol, moved on to cabs find them much easier and getting better but still have some really bad days and think why oh why do i wanna do this!!! x

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
LOL a cab would be easier Alan,

No Jason, no! :) Drill a hole, pop in cz, fold edge over cz - now that's easy! First one I ever did took me 2 days - (many moons ago!) :)

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
you need all the equipment and it's expensive,

Pendant motor, ball drill, burnishing tool made from worn out ball drill and wooden handle to hold burnisher.

Drill the hole using the ball drill so that the stone sits a little below the surface of the metal. The stone locks into the radius of the metal and holds it whilst you roll the edge over. I tend to avoid those diamond shaped burrs as I find the stones tend to flip out as soon as you touch them. Job done - move on to next piece. :)

Emerald
02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Vitoria have you seen the Bezel wire they sell in cooksons, havent used it myself but that may be a good place to start and then to hold the stone to stop it dropping out the bottom solder an inner ring, although i am sure there will be someone with a brighter idea xx

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
You make it sound easier than it is Alan. LOL

To be honest I sweated buckets doing my first ones and they took ages to get right, most of the problems were cured when I swapped over to using a ball drill instead of a setting burr. As you say it can be fiddly to get the stone level but, once you get that right, it's plain sailing. - well when you've done a couple of hundred anyway :)

Emerald
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
the poor girl asked cabochon setting not you two trying to out do each other with who can do it better and with what tool!:)

Emerald
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
must admit i use a ball aswell, well i did i think they are a bit rusty to:N:

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
And I don't know how to set a cabochon anyway :hohoho:

geti-titanium
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you mean ball burrs or is it an actual drill?

A ball burr would describe it better - aka ball drill though

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you for the advice :D I'll give it a go at the weekend - think I'm going to need a whole day interrupted to have a play with this

Thanks for the links Jason - very helpful :Y: