PDA

View Full Version : Designed something for my half drilled pearls...

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I have loads of half drilled pearls, mainly silver greys, that I bought when I was working at The London Pearl Co. and wondered what I could use them for apart from the obvious pearl studs. So I had a go at something a bit different at the weekend - this is just a prototype really as I needed to anneal the "cups" a bit more as I have the start of a couple of tiny splits - my fault for being impatient!! Photo's aren't brill - must get a light box set up!!

mizgeorge
02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
What a fun design :) Makes me think of a juggler!

caroleallen
02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
They're lovely. I'm always nervous of using pearls as I worry that the glue won't hold. Do they feel secure?

lesley
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
That's so delicate and beautiful - I love it!
Silver grey is a perfect colour too.

HannahJewelleryDesigns
02-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Proper Gorgeous!

Rustic Charm
02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm liking these very much Vickie!! x x

fi79
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Oooh me likely. Me likey a lot. Very classy, lady!

Lisa Quinn
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
What a beautiful and contemporary way to set your pearls xx

They're lovely. I'm always nervous of using pearls as I worry that the glue won't hold. Do they feel secure?

I worried about this until I read John Cogswell' "Creative Stonesetting, " he gives several ideas to help secure the pearl, one of which is cutting small nicks or filing notches in the pin to ensure a better grip for the glue.

Mystic
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
very very nice, just my taste.........simple but elegent:xmas-)::dance:

Emerald
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Lovely design Vicki i love grey pearls xx

caroleallen
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

I worried about this until I read John Cogswell' "Creative Stonesetting, " he gives several ideas to help secure the pearl, one of which is cutting small nicks or filing notches in the pin to ensure a better grip for the glue.

That's a really good idea.

Charlotte
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Thats really beautiful! I've been thinking about using half drilled pearls for a while. So you just make some kind of pin and make notches in it and glue? What kind of glue? Sorry, its been something I've been meaning to look up! There is something very elegant about pearls and white metal.

MuranoSilver
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
A slightly flexible glue like a 2 part epoxy is good :)

Bigwol
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Really nice - I like the free flowing curves and hammered wire finish, it looks modern without the 'twinset' twee image I had of pearls.

Nice one!

Dave

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Really nice - I like the free flowing curves and hammered wire finish, it looks modern without the 'twinset' twee image I had of pearls.

Nice one!

Dave

LOL nah, I'm not a twinset type of girl! But I always has that image of pearls until I worked for LPC. I learnt lots there with regards to colours, types, how to drill them etc etc and found they are really beautiful especially South Sea pearls which I luuurve but cannot afford to use at the moment! I remember drilling pearls and stringing them to make a necklace that was worth twice the value of my house!!!!

Thanks for the comments guys [[]] xx

Petal
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
"Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn

I worried about this until I read John Cogswell' "Creative Stonesetting, " he gives several ideas to help secure the pearl, one of which is cutting small nicks or filing notches in the pin to ensure a better grip for the glue. "

That's a really good idea.

What a lovely design, simple and elegant. The way the pearls are held in place sounds really interesting and I must track down that John Cogswell book. Thanks for the tip - I can cross that question off my list.

:Y:

xx

Mila Jewellery
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Thats really beautiful! I've been thinking about using half drilled pearls for a while. So you just make some kind of pin and make notches in it and glue? What kind of glue? Sorry, its been something I've been meaning to look up! There is something very elegant about pearls and white metal.

Well I used an ear post, cut down to make the pin - was a pain in the a$^e to do though as fiddly so I may used some some silver half drill ear cups and cut the post of the back and then solder them in next time.

They seem to be pretty well glued in - I just used superglue which is what I always used to use at LPC but a slightly more flexible glue may be better.

Di Sandland
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh that's gorgeous and very original. Cogswell book on my list too (which is getting longer by the day).

Lindyloo
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
oooh that's really lovely

Jayne
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
ooh, nice :)
every girl should have a pearl necklace
J x

Solunar Silver Studio
03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I must track down that John Cogswell book. Thanks for the tip - I can cross that question off my list.

xx

Cogswell book on my list too (which is getting longer by the day).

Love the design! I am expecting my Cogswell book to arrive today! I think I got the best bargain - about £3 less than the next cheapest I could find and free postage...check it out!! creative stonesetting : aphrohead.com (http://aphrohead.com/Product.aspx?pid=18159005) It has taken 4 days to deliver though!

Computer has crashed 4 times already this morning...it's no good...I think it needs serious doctoring...(WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!)

lorraineflee
03-12-2009, 09:08 AM
That's a really lovely way to use the pearls!

Lorraine

AlexandraBuckle
03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I really like it :xmaswave:

agent_44
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Love it Mila, just my cup of tea!

bob flemming
27-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Lovely!

I've just got that book and REALLY recommend it. You have to sit down and read it, there's so much information in there, just flicking through it doesn't do the book justice.

JudyC
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Exquisite Mila, what a great idea.
Cheers
Judy