PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Earring Backs

Milomade
30-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I've seen magnetic clasps on the CG site and wondered whether it's possible to get magnetic earring backs [and fronts]. I did a search on google and just found finished magnetic earrings. I've had a lot of folk ask me if I do earrings with buttons for non-pierced ears and when I said I was looking into using magnets, people got really excited and said they'd keep an eye on my site etc for when I did get round to making them.

So I wondered if I could just use normal small magnets that I know I can buy in bulk, or do I need to get specials ones for jewellery use - where would I get them from?

Ominicci
01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I started wearing those before I had my ears pierced the second time and lost so many of them - both backs and fronts - as they were often not strong enough magnets. On a piece of card they feel quite strong, but on your ear lobe they are not so good. My ear lobes are not very thick but if the earrings got knocked (glasses, hairbrush, etc) they came off.

So make sure they are nice and strong! (And don't forget the H&S warning about not wearing them if you have a pacemaker.)

Milomade
01-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I saw a tutorial on youtube of someone embedding magnets into clay and making necklace ends and they used 'rare earth' magnets which looked incredibly stron and would attrack each othe from opposite sides of the cutting mat she was working on. Just trying to find if you can get them silver plated as they contain iron which will rust if not coated.

Gemma
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I used to wear these before I got my ears pierced and had similar problem of them falling off or reeeeeally pinching. Nothing so attactive as bright red earlobes :xmaslaugh:
I prefered earscrews for comfort so had to wear dangly earring all the time. Shame that!