PDA

View Full Version : Polishing after oxidising

Vivia
30-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Hope you're all fine on this chilly evening! I'm oxidising my a copper ring at the moment, really just to practise the egg method and also because it's a job that doesn't require venturing outside to the freezing cold garage-come-workshop. I've got to the polishing stage but I don't know what sort of polishing it needs- is it just a case of using normal polishing cloth? I've heard somewhere steel wool mentioned?

Any pointers much appreciated :ta:

mizgeorge
30-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I give it a rub over with wire wool (0000 grade) just to knock back the oxidisation on the high spots - and then tumble if I want more shine.

Charlotte
30-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Thats exactly what I do, couldn't be doing with eggs though. Never tried oxidizing copper, or brass for that matter, might give it a go sometime.

Lindyloo
30-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Do Cooksons do that 000 grade wire wool?

Charlotte
30-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I got a large pack from a pound shop the other day.

Vivia
30-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Ooh excellent, thanks for that, I shall see if I can find some around!

The egg method worked surprisingly well Charlotte, but I only had a small piece of jewellery. The ring is pretty much totally black, which is what I was going for (luckily).:)

Milomade
01-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I tried the egg methid on a pendant and it went a nice shade of black and I buffed parts of it up with a polishing cloth. My chains on the other hand just look tarnished and brown and I can't get them to go black at all.

mizgeorge
01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
I tried the egg methid on a pendant and it went a nice shade of black and I buffed parts of it up with a polishing cloth. My chains on the other hand just look tarnished and brown and I can't get them to go black at all.

Did you give them a really good scrub first? Even the oils from our fingers can be enough to stop the reaction taking place properly.