PDA

View Full Version : 999 silver punches and sponsor's mark advice

mochiandmocha
27-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi all!
Sorry to open a new thread but I read all the info on the other ones and I think it'd be too confusing to add these questions there.

Someone said cookson had 999 silver punches but I can't find any...Does anuone know anything about it? Will they have any soon or where can i get one?
Also, (if I understood well) I could have a sponsor's mark made with my design/name. Does anyone know where I could get that done and could you give me a rough idea of pricing? (just to know if it's really worth investigating or if it'll have to wait)?

I was hoping to order a 925 on cookson very soon before the end of free post so if they DO have a 999 it'd be brilliant if I could add it to my basket ^_^!!
Thanks so much!!!

snow_imp
27-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Using the search of "999 punch" I found item 999 730A (Swan Neck. Punch '999fs', 1mm Marking Punch For Fine Silver,pmc Or Art Clay) and 999 730B (Straight Neck. Punch '999fs', 1mm Marking Punch For Fine Silver,pmc Or Artclay). You do have to wade a bit 'cos a lot of other things come up as well. Searching on "999fs punch" brings up just those two items.

Would either of these do?

mochiandmocha
27-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Great! thanks for the quick reply! yes I'll have a look! ^_^!

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm just about to use my punches. Do I have to anneal the piece like if I would use classic letter punches or is it OK to just "whack it hard" like someone said on another thread?
Thanks !

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Fine silver's plenty soft enough to just go ahead and bash! In fact, you have to be careful not to hit too hard or you'll end up punching too deep.

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Great! Thanks!
What about 925? Does it have to be annealed?

mochiandmocha
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
OK thanks for the tips!
Yes we are under 7.8g so no problem there, I got more risks of breaking the piece than breaking the law (my boyfriend told me to put this joke=D>)

reeves
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
925 is for sterling silver and is what all assays offices use

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Don't forget if you are punching items yourself that the entire item must be under the legal requirement in weight or you are breaking the law.

You don't need to anneal 925, just punch.

As George says be very careful with fine silver, it is so weak it's scary. :Y:

does that include the weight of stones aswell?
or is it the overall weight of just the metal?
would that also include the chain if it was a pendent,or would just the pendent have to be under a certain weight.
thanks
stu g

mizgeorge
12-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Just the weight of the metal, it's best to send stuff for marking before any stones are set.

For pendants, if they could be sold separately (ie, if the pendant can be detached from the chain without any tools) then each can be weighed separately. If the chain is permanently attached then it becomes a single item and should be weighed as such.

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks george for clearing that up for me.
stu g

ben b
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Good point raised here, about total weights!
Now, the 'laws' about hallmarking, and about 'retailing jewellery' would differ here!
You would come under two laws or jurisdictions, those of the hallmarking act, and those of trading standards.
You could, in thoery, perfectly legally not send in for assay a pendant under the weight requirement for hallmarking. You could also make a chain under the weight for hallmarking.
You could sell both separatly.
However, put the pendant on the chain, permanently jointed or not, but in a display box, with an overall price....and your 'breaking' trading standards 'laws' but not hallmarking ones.....
but then...put the pendant on the chain with two prices, chain and pendant as a suggested combination.......
and your fine.
Auction rooms sell any weight item with impunity by calling them white or yellow metal.
Its not what you do...its how you do it....

But you also have to think about what your customers want....its alright bending assay laws about combining weights...but often, customers want to see the marks...so dont forget that too!