PDA

View Full Version : Whats the one thing you haven't been able to master?

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 10:52 AM
OK, here is my confession....I can't make rings! (I am sooooo embarassed! :o) Unless they don't involve solder. After all these years and many attempts I can never get the two ends to fit properly/closely enough to solder! I land up filing until there is no ring left!
Please make me feel not totally hopeless and 'fess up what you can't do!
Em

Coco
24-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm really bad at making holes round in the front and square at the back.

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 12:24 PM
can't say I have ever tried that Coco! how do you do it? I would drill all the way through then use triangular file to square out the back. not easy though!
E

Coco
24-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I was taught to drill a little hole and then scrape bits away with a saw blade. It's harder than it sounds.

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Filigree - can't do it and now I don't ever want to again....
(well not at the moment) definitely more of a solid piece kind of gal!
Nic x

ps_bond
24-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I was taught to drill a little hole and then scrape bits away with a saw blade. It's harder than it sounds.

Ah, saw cutting azures? It is that. I tend to use a flat graver instead - lacks the finesse!

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 03:03 PM
There's a fab article here about cutting Azures with burs
http://aboutstonesetting.com/articles/spring08/azures.html
I guess looking at it is another reason I prefer doing solid rubover
cabouchon settings in silver!
Nic x

ps_bond
24-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Tried that - still felt it needed bright cutting too!

silver Girl
24-07-2009, 03:27 PM
OK, here is my confession....I can't make rings! (I am sooooo embarassed! :o) Unless they don't involve solder. After all these years and many attempts I can never get the two ends to fit properly/closely enough to solder! I land up filing until there is no ring left!
Please make me feel not totally hopeless and 'fess up what you can't do!
Em

hey em
I would love to help you if I can ?
do you solder rings , or do you just make ring without soldering ??
ether way , let me know and I see if I can help you :D

Charlotte
24-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I am terrible for giving up with polishing and just giving a piece a scratched or satin finish:o Although I usually prefer an oxidised and satin finish, it seems to suit my work;)

I find sawing small pieces (e.g. earrings) very difficult.

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Wire wrapping... particularly making spiral cages... I gave up trying to make those by hand they drove me insane. My Mom still lusts after some crackled marble caged jewellery.... might have another go as it's her birthday in October!

Milomade
24-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I settle for a textured sanded look for all my work as I'm scared of the polisher at college - things get far too hot and I always burn myself and I hate it when things go flying off - especially my small items. I also hate the noise it makes.

Can't comment on much else as I've not got that much experience.

Charlotte
25-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I used to be so scared of the polisher and sand belt at uni, they never felt safe even after 2 years of use... although your fingertips get used to getting burnt;) I'd be even more scared owning one now though, being on my own with a deadly machine;)

AlexandraBuckle
25-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think i even used the polishing machine at uni!
I bought a wire brush and opted for a satin finish on my work!

Coco
25-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Can't you polish pieces with a drill instead of a scary polishing machine (I'm scared of it too :o) Or am I just imagining that you can?:confused:

wendy
25-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I've recently acquired a polishing motor that purrs it's so quiet, it has made my life so much easier. I used to find that if someone wanted something polished I'd chuck it in the barrel polished and forget it for a few hours, and only really had success with uncomplicated shapes (I've ranted about this before!). I'm finding that the polish achieved with the mop is much brighter, and best of all quicker = less electricity.

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I can polish and sand with the best of em - comes from having been a wood turner (until I started to get 'brain-fog' from time to time and had to give it up). Finishing is my strong point.

What I really have problems with is (gulp) soldering :confused:

wendy
26-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone ever worked with Niello? It's something that I've always wanted to try, and never actually got round to because the recipie I have is a little vague. I have plenty of lead, but wonder if liver of sulphur would do for the 'add plenty of sulphur' bit, is liver of sulphur the same as sulphur?? I'm no scientist!!

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 12:58 PM
EVERYTHING!!!!!! oh wait prolly cos i am so new to it :P

ps_bond
26-07-2009, 03:00 PM
...is liver of sulphur the same as sulphur?? I'm no scientist!!

Nope, liver of sulphur is mostly potassium sulphide. For elemental sulphur, flowers of sulphur is a possible source. Not the nicest of things to melt though - a combination of seriously unpleasant gasses and the all the fun of handling something akin to molten sugar - if it gets on skin, it will stick and will cause some nasty burns.

There's a fairly thorough essay on niello in Metals Technic IIRC.

wendy
26-07-2009, 09:05 PM
There's a fairly thorough essay on niello in Metals Technic IIRC.

Thanks for that, I'll have a read and then decide if I'm equipped to have a go! It does look like a labour intensive process, but I do fancy having a go because I love the finish. I have some ancient recipie books for jewllers, little pamphlets full of crazy alloys and patinas, makes me wish I had access to a lab!

Coco
26-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Has anyone ever worked with Niello? It's something that I've always wanted to try, and never actually got round to because the recipie I have is a little vague. I have plenty of lead, but wonder if liver of sulphur would do for the 'add plenty of sulphur' bit, is liver of sulphur the same as sulphur?? I'm no scientist!!

I have no idea what it is, but now you've mentioned it, I want to try it :D

What is it?

julie
27-07-2009, 06:36 AM
i can't make nice ,neat clasps every now and then i think i have masted it by making one i can use.. nearly all look like large "FISH" hooks :eek:

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Emma - are you soldering rings 'in the round' so to speak? When you join the two ends make it so they join on a flat plane - so the ring is more like a D shape and the ends are on the flat side. It makes it easier to solder. then you can bash it round a mandrel to make it round again. Does that help any?

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:28 PM
hey em
I would love to help you if I can ?
do you solder rings , or do you just make ring without soldering ??
ether way , let me know and I see if I can help you :D

I can't solder them lol, I usually buy ring blanks or use twisted wires.....
would love to be able to solder them! I can solder jump rings fine, but a finger ring, :'( nah uh LOL! would appreciate any help!!
Em

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Emma - are you soldering rings 'in the round' so to speak? When you join the two ends make it so they join on a flat plane - so the ring is more like a D shape and the ends are on the flat side. It makes it easier to solder. then you can bash it round a mandrel to make it round again. Does that help any?

already doing that! :-(

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 05:13 PM
What sort of rings are you trying to make? Are they from sheet or wire. If making from sheet, Cooksons will cut lengths (up to 1m) in any width which makes it easier to cut. Of course, having your own guillotine also helps.

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:09 PM
wire. but no guillotine anyway!