PDA

View Full Version : Chained Love

Bigwol
26-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Can't beat a bit of chain.

Most made a while ago, when I had time on my hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/Bench/ChainedLove.jpg

Emerald
26-11-2009, 10:04 PM
lovely Bigwol keep rolling them out x

Lindyloo
26-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Very nice, BigWol. Love your composition there.

mizgeorge
26-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice chains I always like seeing lots of chains together for some reason ;)

I like the endcaps on that Viking knit too - did you make those too?

And the box clasp?

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Lovely work. Really like them.

Petal
26-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Absolutely gorgeous work :Y::Y:

MuranoSilver
26-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Oooh nice love the viking knit :)

Bigwol
27-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Nice chains I always like seeing lots of chains together for some reason ;)

I like the endcaps on that Viking knit too - did you make those too?

And the box clasp?

In my textbook (Stark - Classical loop-in-loop chains) the Viking Knit is called Two-way double loop-in-loop, made by fusing loops, and dogbone shapes then passing one through the previous loop.

The Endcaps were fused from a fine silver coil (no solder) with a fine silver cap, finished with a sterling (for strength) jump ring soldered to the cap.

The box clasp was scratch built from 1mm sheet metal, the tongue was made from hard solder - hammered for springiness (is springiness a word??)

This is a variant on the end cap with a sisterhook hand made from sheet with a handmade tube rivet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/ChainPics/WifeProofClaspOpen.jpg

Chain pictures taken with my faithful Asahi Pentax Takumar 50mm F1.4 manual lens (from about 1965) on a Canon EOS 350D digital camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/ChainPics/50mm.jpg

bustagasket
27-11-2009, 06:17 AM
I am stunned, i am just getting into chains, and am going to be working my way thru my new books as fast as i can, yous are wonderful bigwol, loce the square one, very different

snow_imp
27-11-2009, 07:08 AM
That's the kind of work I aspire to.

mizgeorge
27-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Dave, my apologies, I thought the two-way double was a viking knit (continuous wire) - I'm very impressed now - mine never look that neat!

Beautiful endcaps and clasps - really beautiful :)

Petal
27-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Dave,

"The Endcaps were fused from a fine silver coil (no solder) with a fine silver cap, finished with a sterling (for strength) jump ring soldered to the cap."

Is this the endcaps you are referring to?? Fusing looks like an interesting way of making jewellery. Is it a technique you particularly like, or is it a pain to do?

agent_44
27-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Lovely stuff, nice chunky byzantine always makes me happy :D and I really liek the square looking one aswell.

AlexandraBuckle
27-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Really great chains!
There is so much stuff I have never even tried to do. I'd like to have a go at some of these... maybe I'll get round ot it one day!

Bigwol
27-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Dave,

"The Endcaps were fused from a fine silver coil (no solder) with a fine silver cap, finished with a sterling (for strength) jump ring soldered to the cap."

Is this the endcaps you are referring to?? Fusing looks like an interesting way of making jewellery. Is it a technique you particularly like, or is it a pain to do?

Yes those are the fused endcaps.

Fusing gives a neat result because you don't have to use any solder or flux, but you have to be spot on with the torch, raising the temperature evenly until the whole piece fuses at the same time, it looks sort of extra silvery and slightly 'wet' - if wet makes sense on a red hot silver coil!! - fluid might be better). As soon as you see it fuse remove the flame immediately, an extra blast 'just for luck' has no place in fusing fine silver.

If you overheat it, you are the proud owner of a brand new puddle of fine silver.

Like everything else it's just practice - get stuck in, you'll never know whether it's for you until you try it.

Dave

Sunnybank
27-11-2009, 11:55 AM
To my great shame I’m afraid I hadn’t appreciated chains in their own right until I started to see some of the examples on the forum.

There are so many aspects of jewellery that I would like to try, but I know that I would never have the patience to cut the rings, never mind join them together in a regular pattern. Instead I’ll admire beautiful work like these.

The Dragon
27-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Lovely work BigWol.

I've just started looking at fusing as a form of decorative finish for pendants etc, now you've given me something else to think about (oooo my poor brain).

Did you say you'd written a book on the subject? Is it suitable for complete idiot beginners like me?

Sorry keep thinking about all the things I want to learn - have no idea where I'm going to find the time to learn them all though!

:snow:

WitchfordSilver
27-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I do like the loop in loop chains, I've had problems pulling the chain through holes drilled in wooden blocks to even out the links.

Need to find a larger draw plate.

mizgeorge
27-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I don't draw loop in loop at all - I just gently tamp it with a rawhide mallet to even everything out.

I think you'd need to square off the drawplate if you wanted to draw it?

Gemma
28-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Amazing stuff. I want to have a go at fusing now. Better buy some fine silver...roll on pay day...

Jemart
21-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Ooh, total coincidence but I just ordered that chain makng book today!
What pattern is the square one? I'd like to have a go at making one of those for my husband.