PDA

View Full Version : Sending parts of jewellery for hallmarking?

Charlotte
26-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I am making an order as quickly as possible at the moment but not only am I waiting for out of stock chain from cooksons, I need to get my work hallmarked (trust me to make my work so damn heavy!;)).

I was wondering though, could I send the main part of the jewellery (e.g. the pendant or the main part on a bracelet) and add the chain later (after hallmarking)?

Sorry to disappear on you guys for the last couple of months, was on a bit of a downer and have only got a grip on myself and started making jewellery again:o Hope you are all well xxxxx

lorraineflee
26-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd been wondering that as well - hope you get a reply soon!!

Lorraine

AlexandraBuckle
26-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear you've been down :(
Hope you're on the mend xxx

As for hallmarking (I think -please correct me someone if I'm wrong) they weigh the entire peice for pricing purposes, so if you don't send it all it's a bit naughty. You can send it in bits, ie not put together, but you should send the whole piece.

Sorry hun!

Solunar Silver Studio
26-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Well - I have sent seperate pendants and they haven't queried them. How are they to know if you sell them simply as pendants or attach them to thong or ribbon or to a chain you have made or a bought one which already has a hallmark?? Bracelet bits are probably a bit more awkward! Perhaps you had better phone them...:)

mizgeorge
26-11-2009, 11:59 AM
provided the pendant can be removed from the chain without any tools (ie just slips off) then it's fine to send it separately as the two parts are considered separate. If it's permanently attached (eg with a jumpring too large to pass through the bail) then it has to go all in one piece.

It's lovely to see you back Charlotte :) Hope things continue to improve a bit - how's the back now?

Charlotte
26-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm thats a shame! I might be able to make the pendants removable though;) And I have enough chain to make the bracelets with for now, so thats the plan! Just hope I can get it all made by tomorrow, I've done most of it, but its the last few fiddly bits which always take longer than expected!

I'm much better now thanks mizgeorge, I am all raring to go with my jewellery again (still working on my back muscles)! How are you doing? Good to see all the familiar names are still here, and a whole lot more!!!

Not sure I was quite ready for all the xmas smilies though;), its not xmas for me until I fly back to my family a few days before xmas day;) Although mum is sending me some mince pies which may do the trick;)

Di Sandland
26-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi Charlotte - huge welcoming/comforting hugs :X

HannahJewelleryDesigns
26-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont know if this helps but one of my pendants is made in four parts which are rivetted together with the acrylic in place, I adapted the rivet to give the piece enough tension to hold itself together as I cant solder with the plastic in there.

Any way, I send the pieces for hallmarking before they are rivetted so the stamping doesnt crack the plastic. I put the part I want marking in one bag with a sticker saying "pendant components for hallarking", and the other bits in another bag with a sticker on saying "pendant components for testing, NOT for hallmarking". Then they test all the seperate bits in both bags to check the fineness but only put the hallmark on the ones I have specified. That way they know that all the parts are of the right quality no matter which ones go together.

I have my hallmark with the Birmingham assay office and I called them to find out what I needed to do in this instance and they gave me this proceedure. They are really helpfull there to so dont worry about calling them, they are really friendly :)

Hope thats usefull to somebody!!

lorraineflee
26-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I checked with them today too. My pendant, which will go onto a separate chain, doesn't need the chain sending too but the earrings I have made (also PMC 99% fine silver) need the earwires including, not for hallmarking but to ensure that they aren't base metal so that the earrings can be described in total as silver. That's the gist of the email that I got from Birmingham.
Lorraine