PDA

View Full Version : My new Website

caroleallen
25-11-2009, 10:37 AM
My designer is in the process of re-doing my site. I'd really appreciate it if you could have a look for me please and let me know what you think of it so far. I'm finding the online shop's not loading too well but that may be because he's still working on it. Thanks for your help.

Carole Allen Jewellery (http://www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk/new/)

Di Sandland
25-11-2009, 10:53 AM
The site is beautiful Carole. The other one was too but, as we all discussed aeons ago now, there was too little text for the webots.

However, like you say, the shop is very slow to load and I clicked away when I got fed up waiting. Luckily, I'm not a customer (although I would be if I were in the market ;))

mizgeorge
25-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh Carole - I think it looks GORGEOUS :)
I can't get the shop to load at all, but the rest is just lovely. Very restful on the eye, but interesting enough to keep me clicking!

Well done to you and your designer.

caroleallen
25-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks very much. It may be that the shop hasn't been loaded yet but it will be very much like before, so I think it'll be OK. I'm now waiting with much trepidation for Geti to cast his expert eye over it.

Lisa Quinn
25-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Oooooooooooh, it's very polished and sleek, easy to use and quick to load, no criticisms at all, the only thing that I can think of is from a marketing perspective, would it be possible to have a page appear once you have added something from your cart, with other items from the collection, so that the customer might be tempted to purchase matching products.

~Lisa x

caroleallen
25-11-2009, 11:35 AM
That's a really good idea Lisa. I'll mention it. It's already costing me an arm and a leg though, so that may be a step too far!

Kalorlo
25-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Ooh, the front page is much better! It's looking great.

caroleallen
25-11-2009, 12:07 PM
It's actually live now so don't use the original link. There are 1 or 2 little niggles but I'm really happy with it. The idea of linking matching products was, as I suspected, going to be expensive, so not a goer, I'm afraid.

snow_imp
25-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Carole - just had a look at your new site. I clicked through to the link on the shop and then the courses - but I can't read the text because the contrast between the two tones of grey is non existent!

You might want to have a look into that - I'm using IE8 to view it.

bustagasket
25-11-2009, 12:12 PM
ooo very sleek :D

Solunar Silver Studio
25-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Carole - just had a look at your new site. I clicked through to the link on the shop and then the courses - but I can't read the text because the contrast between the two tones of grey is non existent!

I'm having a few problems with contrast too - although I can just about read it. Some of the photos are really pale though so you can't really see what you are potentially buying - particularly the newlyn daisy chain bracelet and the st ives pendant - 2 that I can remember!! It may well be my screen though as I have not got any techy bods here to tell me if I can alter the settings!

Looks pretty classy though!:Y:

Jayne
25-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Carole,
Just had a click around your site. It looks lovely - I especially like the banner at the top, although I think the banner is spoilt a little with your contact details on the right. Would it be possible to have your address in a single line either at the top or the bottom of the page?
I also found it a little tricky to navigate. Once onto the homepage I have to click to get into the shop, scroll down & click again to get into the category of jewellery. If I decide that I've finished looking at bracelets and want to have a look at, say, earrings there's no link to take me there or even back to the shop so I click 'back' and am taken out of the shop altogether. I then have to click to get back into the shop, scroll down etc. etc..
The images of your jewellery on the banner are beautiful and I'm sure you will sell more of those than your other pieces - would it be possible to have a hyperlink in the image, or in a short piece of text at the bottom of the image so that customers who immediately fall in love with that piece (there will be lots!) can easily make an impulse buy?
Sorry to be so harsh - I just think that this feedback is more useful now when you can easily tackle your web designers than in 6 months time.
Love J x

Solunar Silver Studio
25-11-2009, 01:14 PM
If I decide that I've finished looking at bracelets and want to have a look at, say, earrings there's no link to take me there or even back to the shop so I click 'back' and am taken out of the shop altogether. I then have to click to get back into the shop, scroll down etc. etc..
Love J x

I found the 'click to view products' button took you back to the shop gallery page - although I agree with you the title doesn't obviously tell you that is what it does! ...so perhaps that could be altered to make its function clearer.

Jayne
25-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't read the text because the contrast between the two tones of grey is non existent!

It looks okay on my monitor :confused:

I found the 'click to view products' button took you back to the shop gallery page - although I agree with you the title doesn't obviously tell you that is what it does! ...so perhaps that could be altered to make its function clearer.

Ah-ha! Sorry, I spoke too soon :">
J x

lesley
25-11-2009, 01:47 PM
The shop isn't loading at all for me. I tried earlier and it was the same. Just says "Please wait. Loading products..." and has been for the last 10 minutes. :confused:

kymbi
25-11-2009, 02:20 PM
A beautiful looking website Carole, really restful on the eye and gorgeous photography :D

I had no problems loading the online shop or any of the categories but I clicked through the categories and found that some of the links on the bracelets page are a bit temperamental - you can click on some of them, move on but not always click back on an earlier one. I just went back and tried again and more bracelets loaded up and appeared in the scroll, so I don't know if you are loading up the products at the moment.

lesley
25-11-2009, 07:33 PM
It must be me 'cos it still hasn't loaded! :xmas-):
Bah, I want to see the goodies!

Emerald
25-11-2009, 07:50 PM
It looks really good to me Carole had no problems with the shop or the contrasts the very best of luck and i hope it pays for itself big time xx

Bigwol
25-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I had no performance problems at all on the proper link, everything loaded fast, and the scrolling products were working fine.

I use Firefox 3.5.5 and an old 700mhz C800 Dell Latitude with Windows 7 and had no difficulty with contrast or colours - it was all readable, clean and crisp. The colour scheme of the site is great! - it reminded me of summer in Cornwall, strong lighting and piercing blues from sea and sky.

My dad was born in Penzance, and lived in St Agnes for several years and apparently I've got quite a lot of relatives in the Penzance, Marazion, Hayle sort of area.

When we lived in Helston (about half a century ago) my mum entered me into a baby competition, and I'm told I was highly commended for being a happy baby. (it was probably wind!)

Just one minor typo - 'If you are interesting in stocking my jewellery' on the wholesale page was probably intended to read interested

That's about it - great site - I'm sure it will do well for you.

Best wishes

Dave

amazingbabe
25-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Stunning,, everything worked perfectly for me, love your jewellery :X

caroleallen
25-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys. I've passed on all the comments and hope the designer can sort them out. That was a really useful exercise as some of you have picked up things that look fine on my Mac. Thanks also for the nice comments.

geti-titanium
25-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Hold the front page there a second Carole :reindeer:

Firstly though, major improvements here and a lot better for seo possibilities so that's good.

The biggest thing I notice though is the large amount of unused space down the right hand side with just an 'online shop' link. I think you would be better by getting rid of 'online shop' and incorporating either a line type category menu or icon type menu here to go straight to the products - this would cut down on a click for the visitor.

Also 'Products' on the top menu bar might be better changing to a different word as I was expecting to see erm... well, products.

A more prominent 'About' link on the top nav bar would be better instead of embedding it halfway down on the homepage. An about category is a good idea because it gives the site a more human feel as opposed to the automated, soulless Amazon type sites. Images of you staring nonchalantly into the distance whilst running up a huge mobile phone bill (for eg.) instead of jewellery here and information about the designer always works well.

I like the different images on each header section but, like Jayne mentioned, the address could do with moving - on some the image interferes with the text.

You could do with a sitemap. A sitemap is essential for google indexing purposes.

I think that is enough for the time being although, apart from adding more keyword rich text, there isn't much more to do - well done.

Lindyloo
25-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd just like to add that I think your site is lovely Carole. I loved the previous one too. Works just fine, looks just fine on my computer. Made me linger for ages.

Ominicci
25-11-2009, 10:56 PM
One thing that strikes me is that your home page starts;

My jewellery is handmade in my studio in the heart of Cornwall. I use a range of materials, including sterling silver, gold, enamel and anodised aluminium. Whether you are looking for bangles, rings, necklaces, earrings or bracelets, I'm sure you'll find the perfect gift. My work is feminine and wearable and thus very popular as wedding jewellery.

Then says;
Click here to read more about Carole

'Carole' could be anyone. Shouldn't it say something like 'Click here to read more about me, Carole Allen' ? As the resulting page goes on to talk about 'Carole' but the rest of the site says "...I do..." and "...I can travel to your house..." and "...my classes are small..."

I don't know what this is called but I'm sure someone who knows more about writing (Di?) would be able to clarify?

The shop loads OK for me. But it is not clear that if you hover over the first and last photo (when you select a category) that the images 'slideshow' in the little strip that is displayed. Is there any way you can highlight this as it is a fantastic feature (I found out by accident)?

Contact page - do you really want a map of where your house is? Do you want callers, or should it be 'by appointment only'? (I know anyone can look it up on streetmap etc, but you have given it to them on a plate)

Other than that it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petal
26-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I agree with Nicci that you are making it very easy for someone to find you and my initial thoughts were about security and mentioning that you work in gold. :-" Perhaps you could exclude it from the wording and just say that you work in a variety of mediums - which are highlighted in your lovely photographs. Just a thought.

Apart from that, your website is absolutely stunning. I love the beautiful colours, the exquisite jewellery and if I wasn't learning the ropes myself, I'd definitely be a buyer.

:Y::Y:

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 11:04 AM
He's made a few changes and hopefully it's better now. Thanks for all the input. Let me know if you have any more thoughts please. Ooh and on Google.com I'm on the first page for jewellery classes Cornwall and UK! I know that may change, but hopefully I won't go too far down the list.

Di Sandland
26-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Google.com I'm on the first page for jewellery classes Cornwall and UK!

Bloody 'ell, maid, you've achieved the glittering prize there, eh? Well done you! :respekt:

Emerald
26-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Geti will be impressed x

AlexandraBuckle
26-11-2009, 05:54 PM
It's looking really great Carole!

geti-titanium
26-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Having a map on your site is a big plus. If the address is clearly shown, which it must be to instill confidence in the site owner, then having a map can only benefit the site. Whether you are selling from home or from a shop, there is always the security element to consider.

There is very little worse, apart from no traffic, than not showing contact and address details for killing sales on a website.

geti-titanium
26-11-2009, 09:24 PM
OOh yes! I forgot to mention as well. I've never been a big fan of those sliding displays, I always find them difficult to control so I can't be bothered with them and a typical scenario with me when I see one, (not just yours) is to hover on them and think 'stuff this - I'm off!' - but that's just me of course.

geti-titanium
26-11-2009, 09:28 PM
It still looks bare on the right hand side - a nice GETi logo would look good there ;)

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Bare is fine by me!

geti-titanium
26-11-2009, 09:32 PM
spoilsport! :snowball:

Lindyloo
26-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I like a less busy site, Carole. I actually get put off by sites where there is so much happening, I can't find what I want.

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Do you find mine too busy?

Lindyloo
26-11-2009, 10:00 PM
No, not at all. I was responding to Geti's comment about the blank space. I love yours, it is restful, and doesn't make me want to close it down, like some others do. I thought your old one was great too. In fact, one of the best I've seen.

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Linda :bauble:

Emerald
26-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Its not busy at all you can click on what you want to click on to, we may have to Spam Geti :reindeer:

The Dragon
26-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Beautiful, professional and inspiring. =D>

I can't comment on the technical stuff such as SEO's but from a purely browsing point of view it was a great experience. To me the best bit was how you used the banner area to display select pieces. How about moving the address details to the right hand side - kill to requests with one stone as it were?

I think it will be very well received by prospective clients, it does appeal to that little 'inner voice' we have when shopping for quality products.

Well done you for having the courage to change a successful website and make it even better.

:snow:

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Its not busy at all you can click on what you want to click on to, we may have to Spam Geti :reindeer:

Let's get Geti!

geti-titanium
26-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I think I must look at websites differently to most people. To me that empty space represents a prime piece of real estate - if it isn't going to be used then it would be better to widen the left column to the full width so that more of the page can be viewed without scrolling down and tuck the online shop link up in the top nav bar.

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I really hate cluttered sites too. Too much text just puts me right off. I think it must be a girl thing!

Emerald
26-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I think I must look at websites differently to most people. To me that empty space represents a prime piece of real estate - if it isn't going to be used then it would be better to widen the left column to the full width so that more of the page can be viewed without scrolling down and tuck the online shop link up in the top nav bar.

yeah but she still aint going to put Geti innit:D

Hart-Star
28-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Cornwall Council might want you to have the whole thing done in Cornish as well as English, but I think the English version is fine and dandy.

When talking to web designers you sometimes have to specify whether it has been tested and will work with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome...

A very minor omission might be a favicon (try wikepedia for the explanation) Favicon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon)

As you have lots of pages, you might like to for exaple , put hyperlinks to jump from the reference to jewellery courses on your home page to the actual sub section of the site.

As to getting to your studio - perhap include links to British Rail / Newquay airport ?

MuranoSilver
28-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Great looking site Carole
Like geti I clicked on the top link for products and missed the shop link entirely. Went back and spotted it after reading the thread....
I know it's HUGE (once you've seen it) but tired eyes might miss it.
maybe it could be a brighter colour?
Nic x

elliboo
28-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the site looks lovely, although I didn't see the shop link either Doh! ( I do recognise your style though - I think I might have bought something a few years ago if you sell through Trelyon in St Ives!) I think I'll bookmark your site :)

caroleallen
28-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks again guys. All useful comments. Yes I do sell in Trelyon, thanks for bookmarking.

Mila Jewellery
28-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm a little late on this post, but your new site looks great, and it's really easy to use :Y: Some gorgeous pieces on there too :)

caroleallen
28-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Blimey! Already visits to my site are up by 400% and I've had 4 orders today which previously was what I was getting in a week.

kymbi
29-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Brilliant news Carole :Y:

lynseysorefingers
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
wow! great web site. you jewellery looks great x

agent_44
02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Blimey! Already visits to my site are up by 400% and I've had 4 orders today which previously was what I was getting in a week.

That's fab news Carole, your new site looks great, definitely an improvement! I would say I am not sure about the Flash based shop system, but sounds like it's starting to work for you :D