PDA

View Full Version : Image transfer onto metal.....???

Jayne
25-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I read this morning that it is possible to use an image transfer medium (omni-gel, ITS) to transfer printer images onto metal.
I was wondering whether anyone has tried this - does it work? (sounds a bit fanciful to me.......)
J x

mizgeorge
25-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I've ironed laser printed images onto sheet metal for etching, and also to copy a design, but not tried any of the usual image transfer media on metal. I've always assumed they need a porous surface to be really effective, and even then they tend to need sealing.

I know there are people transferring onto polymer clays very successfully, and also onto metal clay, but I'm not sure how durable they are - and they still need sealing, which seems a fundamental weakness to me.

minnie
25-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi

I am really interested in trying photo etching, did you iron it from acetate sheet onto silver? Was the silver heated from underneath as well ?

Any information gratefully recieved.

mizgeorge
25-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Christine, I used a version of this technique:
[Ganoksin] Jewelry Making - Photocopy Transfer Etch (http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/photocopy_transfer_etch.htm)

I used the simmering plate of the aga rather than a griddle (because that's all I had). I believe it also works very well with a flat pan on an induction hob.

I know Tim McCreight's Complete Metalsmith reference uses heat on one side only however. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work just as well provided the sheet isn't too thick.

hth

minnie
25-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you, I have solid electric rings which I use for Keum Boo so I can use those. The link tells me every I wanted to know.Great!

MuranoSilver
25-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I'd love to see how your results turn out
Good luck
nic x

minnie
25-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks Nic.
I have got to order acid and am treating myself to a laser printer(good old Staples, free delivery) so it will be a while but will definitely be doing it.

I taught myself Keum Boo, so will do it ,as once I get bitten by the bug I HAVE to do it.