PDA

View Full Version : WIP Hand forged chain

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Well it took all day and was a run before you can walk project but the end product was qorth the time and the burned fingers lol

It's not perfect but please bear in mind this is only the second thing I have soldered and that I managed to fudge up lots of links by accidentally soldering them together *nightmare*

It will have Green Cat's Eye Beads and small Swarovski Crystal AB bicones one it when the Swarovski Crystals finally arrive.

Anyway, here it is... I made everything except the clasp :)

The Links: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3750924658/in/photostream/

Yes, that is Bacon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3750924934/in/photostream/

The final result: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3750924382/

*phew* :D

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 06:53 AM
That is brilliant! Well done for sticking at it! And you have the same torch as me! It took me ages to find one that you could adjust with one hand while you are working! Why aren't they all made like that??? Crazy! (erm...you don't cook bacon with it as well do you?!?;))

I really feel that I cheat when I make my chains:o...fusing fine silver does away with all the soldering and pickling! I am sometimes tempted to do some sterling silver work as I am so out of practice with the soldering...but then I am back to the tarnishing problem....I can't wear sterling without it going black really quickly (perhaps I am a toxic person!!:eek::eek:)...doesn't anyone else have that problem? I can wear fine silver for ever without it tarnishing...it just goes a bit dull after a while!

Your chain will look stunning with all the beads on it...you will post a finished photo, won't you...
Barbara

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Hee hee, thanks :D

Well, I didn't know that about fine silver that's for sure!

Yeah sterling silver goes black on me too, necklaces and earrings mostly but I just keep cleaning them and I have an ultrasonic cleaner now so I can really clean it up again now :)

Can't wait to finish it and wear it and yes, I will definitely be posting a photo :D

Coco
24-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Very nice! :)

What kind of solder did you use?

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi I used the Medium Solder that came with a kit from Cooksons... I just couldn't get to grips with hard or easy it just wouldn't work for me :)

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow chain looks really good for second time soldering!!!

The Bijou Dragon
28-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Thankyou!

Almost finished it now, just got to tumble some more headpins and then I can finish the beads :D

Coco
28-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi I used the Medium Solder that came with a kit from Cooksons... I just couldn't get to grips with hard or easy it just wouldn't work for me :)

But was it the kind you cut up, or paste? Coz some people say solder paste is really good when doing chains or links :)

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Coco, the solder in the kit is the type you cut up - I know cos my kit arrived today :)

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Well done you!!!! It looks great and wil be wonderful with its dangly bits :D

i know what you mean with soldering, my first piece that is still in production, required me to solder some tiny tiny links onto it, (must photograph it so that it can develop here :D) and on sunday i made another lot of slight bigger links for my new project and had my second soldering experience.

When i designed my first one, the tutor told me that cos i like everything to be so delicate, i would be an expert solderer (if thats a real word lol) by the time ii finished the bracelet. Well i dunno about that, but i sure as hell gave myself a baptism of fire lol