PDA

View Full Version : Does this look any good?

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I found this today - I've never had/used one so I was wondering what you guys thought? It's affordable and I'm not expecting it to last for years but I hope it will do for now. I've not bought it yet - I was awaiting opinions lol but got some cash burning a hole and it's not enough to buy a rolling mill with!

Rock tumbler - rock polishing machine for polishing rocks, stones and gems (http://www.gemrock.net/products/products_category.asp?cat=233)

lorraineflee
23-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I've got a similar one, the Beech
Here is the link Manchester Minerals Tumbling Machines (http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Tumbling_Machines.html#a10_2d006Bundle2)
I also bought an extra barrel with vanes for tumbling silver.
It works just tine.

Lorraine

amazingbabe
23-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I got the national geographic one in Argos, in the kids toy section, then bought some steel shot and it is perfect for the job and i have it over 2 yrs now and it was €24.99 :snow:

kymbi
23-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I had a tumbler the same as your Lorraine which I also bought from Manchester Minerals along with the vaned barrel. I was more than happy with it, and it did the job. My only teeny niggle was with the plastic barrel where I struggled to get the plastic lid on and off, but no-one else in my house did.

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I got the national geographic one in Argos, in the kids toy section, then bought some steel shot and it is perfect for the job and i have it over 2 yrs now and it was €24.99 :snow:

I saw that actually but read the reviews saying it taked DAYS and DAYS for stones! How long does it usually take for your jewellery bits?

lorraineflee
23-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I had a tumbler the same as your Lorraine which I also bought from Manchester Minerals along with the vaned barrel. I was more than happy with it, and it did the job. My only teeny niggle was with the plastic barrel where I struggled to get the plastic lid on and off, but no-one else in my house did.

Run hot water over the lid and it comes off really easily!
Lorraine

lorraineflee
23-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I saw that actually but read the reviews saying it taked DAYS and DAYS for stones! How long does it usually take for your jewellery bits?

Stones are different as you are trying to "bash" all the rough bits off (not very technical that was it!) Jewellery is minutes rather than days!
Lorraine

kymbi
23-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Run hot water over the lid and it comes off really easily!
Lorraine

ooh, thanks for that tip Lorraine, I'll give it a whirl.

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Stones are different as you are trying to "bash" all the rough bits off (not very technical that was it!) Jewellery is minutes rather than days!
Lorraine

Lol that was what I was just discussing with my OH - his friend's parents used to tumble stones for days but as you said, there is a lot more to bash off (that's just my type of technical term!)

Solunar Silver Studio
23-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I give the thumbs up for the toys too. I do have a Beech one - but I find the toy one works really well as it is quicker and easier to open and close (as it has a simple screw top with a good sealing washer) and you can do small amounts in it. Mine was from Harrods!! (via a Charity shop!) and I got it for £3.50 complete with 2 spare drive belts and various grits and stones if I ever wanted to do them! The only down side with it is that it is noisier than the Beech one - but as it is in my shed I tend to turn it on and go off to do something else while it does its stuff. If I have loads to do I use the Beech one but it does tend to leak and rips your fingernails off trying to get the plastic ends off!! Neither of them is perfect - but they both do a perfectly good job.

agent_44
23-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Looks just like mine which does the trick fine. Have to say though the plastc lidded barrels are a pain in the backside, however the saving in cost is worth it in my opinion.

And re the kiddies tumbler - tumbling stones does take days and days!!!

WitchfordSilver
23-11-2009, 06:21 PM
For jewellery you will need a vaned barrel, the vanes are on the inside to throw the shot about as it rotates. Rock barrels tend to be smooth on the inside.

The motor base can be used for either.

agent_44
23-11-2009, 06:24 PM
You don't need a vaned barrel for jewellery. Myself and plenty of other people I know have barrels without vanes and they do the job just fine and have done so for years.

mizgeorge
23-11-2009, 06:26 PM
For jewellery you will need a vaned barrel, the vanes are on the inside to throw the shot about as it rotates. Rock barrels tend to be smooth on the inside.

I don't agree - lots of people think you need fins, but in a rubber barrel, the shot tumbles just fine as long as it's not filled more than 1/3 in total (including shot, metal, water and barrelling medium). The problems come when people overfill them and there isn't enough room for stuff to move around.

My only reservation about the plastic barrels is the sheer noise they make. Fine if you've got somewhere to leave them and it won't annoy you though!

Di Sandland
23-11-2009, 06:31 PM

No you don't - discussed at great length some months ago. Many of us have barrels without vanes that we use perfectly successfully.

agent_44
23-11-2009, 06:34 PM
My only reservation about the plastic barrels is the sheer noise they make. Fine if you've got somewhere to leave them and it won't annoy you though!

I actually don't find the noise to be that bad, but if you can put the tumbler in a room and shut the door on it than you probably wont hear it at all.

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Noise isn't a problem really as it's outside in the workshop. Well I think I'll try the kiddies one for now and then when I'm rich, famous designer I can invest in a more heavy duty one :rolleyes: :-D

lesley
23-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I didn't know what a vaned barrel was until I came on here. Mine is unvaned and I often get compliments on my shine and finish.

caroleallen
23-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I've got one of those Beech ones but TBH I got fed up with it leaking all the time. When water leaks it makes the spindles wet and the barrel won't go around. I've got a rubber barrel one now and it's much much better. It doesn't like the cold weather much though and takes a while to speed up.

Rustic Charm
23-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I have the beach tumbler and get one with it fine,it is a bit noisy but i just shut the door and it's not too bad, i actually like to hear it so then i know it's turning properly!!! x x

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting this Mila, I was just looking into one of these, and trying to find a good priced one too! Think I will go and have a look at the kiddies one too.

Just a quick question about steel shot, where's best to get it from?? I have seen that you can buy online but figured the p&p would be quite high, or can you get it over the counter somewhere?? Is there anything else I would need to purchase with a tumbler?

Thanks again xxx

emroyjewels
23-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for posting this Mila, I was just looking into one of these, and trying to find a good priced one too! Think I will go and have a look at the kiddies one too.

Just a quick question about steel shot, where's best to get it from?? I have seen that you can buy online but figured the p&p would be quite high, or can you get it over the counter somewhere?? Is there anything else I would need to purchase with a tumbler?

Thanks again xxx

Hi - I bought some stainless steel shot from cherryheaven (over the phone) after some recommendations on here! Their website is shocking, as discussed on other threads, but if you find the product on there and then phone up they are very helpful. There prices include postage too.

I bought half a kilo for £15.50, but was suprised when it arrived without any pins in it - just planet type shapes and balls. I'm new to tumbling so not sure if this is right. maybe someone else can advise?

However,as with all my purchases I looked around before buying it to get the best price so here's the results of my research for mixed shot:

for half a kilo, cherryheaven.co.uk at £15.50 is the cheapest.
650g from UKGE s £26.33 plus postage.
full kilo which is the size most people buy: artclay.co.uk is £29.95 incl postage. (Interestingly they are in the same office as cherry heaven, although have a different customer service rep.
Manchester minerals is another alternative for a kilo, but is more expensive at £28.92 plus postage (didn't write the postage down, but it must have been more since I didn't buy it!)

I'm only planning to tumble in a plastic tub inside my tumble dryer (as found on a random blog! - since I can't stretch to an official tumbler at the moment) Will let you know how it goes in case you're interested.

HTH someone.

Em.

Jayne
23-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I bought my shot from Cookson during the freepost offer :)
simplepimple :)
J x

Di Sandland
23-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Em the pins are good for getting into all the tiny crevices. You can buy them separately but that rather defeats the object of all your shopping around :( Somebody may well have a link for the best place to get it.

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 09:52 PM
J x

Aaaah good thinking :Y:

Jayne
23-11-2009, 09:52 PM
£18.25 per kilo

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that Em, very useful and helpful :Y: Definitely let me know how you get on with the tumble dryer :) xx

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 10:02 PM
J x

Thanks for that Jayne!! Am now going to add that to my shopping cart/wish list, ready for the next freepost offer he he!!! :Y: ALthough I still can't bring myself to look at the total cost .... :-O xx

Mila Jewellery
23-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that Jayne!! Am now going to add that to my shopping cart/wish list, ready for the next freepost offer he he!!! :Y: ALthough I still can't bring myself to look at the total cost .... :-O xx

Oh it's scary - is there a way you can get rid of everything and start again? I get lost sometimes and can't find the stuff I've put in there that I can afford amongst all the things I've put in there wishing I could!

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh it's scary - is there a way you can get rid of everything and start again? I get lost sometimes and can't find the stuff I've put in there that I can afford amongst all the things I've put in there wishing I could!

Not sure tbh, I think there was a thread on here somewhere about wishlists etc being away from the shopping cart, although I may have dreamt that :-D The rate I am going though I might need to take out a 2nd mortgage :D xx

Emerald
23-11-2009, 10:21 PM
you also need some Barrelling Powder to help with the shiney:)

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 10:34 PM
you also need some Barrelling Powder to help with the shiney:)

Thanks Jo :X

xx

Tigerlily
23-11-2009, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=Emerald;24598]you also need some Barrelling Powder to help with the shiney:)[/QUOTE

Hi Jo, have just had a quick look on Cookies and can't seem to find any??? Am I being daft or do they not sell it? xx

Jayne
24-11-2009, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Emerald;24598]you also need some Barrelling Powder to help with the shiney:)[/QUOTE

Hi Jo, have just had a quick look on Cookies and can't seem to find any??? Am I being daft or do they not sell it? xx

Barrelbrite Plus,bb-63, 1kg Barrelling Compound, Uc - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=barrelbrite)
J x

Tigerlily
24-11-2009, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Tigerlily;24606]

Barrelbrite Plus,bb-63, 1kg Barrelling Compound, Uc - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=barrelbrite)
J x

Thanks again Jayne [] xx

Mila Jewellery
24-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Woo hoo I've been to Argos and got one of those kiddies ones :D all I need now is the shot etc and sore fingers and a rouge coloured face will soon be a distant memory!

amazingbabe
24-11-2009, 06:07 PM

I have never used it for the stones i only use it for my silver and it takes 2 hrs for a great shine, honestly i find it perfect :)

Mila Jewellery
24-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I have never used it for the stones i only use it for my silver and it takes 2 hrs for a great shine, honestly i find it perfect :)

Oooh I'm dying to try it out now! Where can I get shot from at 7.15pm?!.. lol

amazingbabe
24-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Aaaah good thinking :Y:
I got mine on ebay and it was very reasonable..... I put the jewellery in the barrel with water and fairy liquid and voille !!!!! When you are done tumbling though cover your steelshot with water otherwise it will rust... I too promised myself a more upmarket tumbler when i had more money but to be honest the kids one is so perfect and its a little over 2yrs old now :)

emroyjewels
26-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok, I don't know if this is possible, but I threw my silver creation in with a load of shot, washing up liquid and water, and chucked it in the tumble dryer.

It came out looking shiny, but also covered in mini dents from the shot. Can any one tell me
a) what I did wrong #-o
b) how to fix it :help:
c) if there is a foolproof way to polish silver (even if it takes forever it's surely better than wrecking a piece?)

Unfortunately it was a piece for a customer, and I really don't feel I can send it out looking imperfect. Probably not the best piece to experiment on (fool that I am!), so I'd love to rescue it rather than starting again.

Completely annoyed with myself now, probably should have bought some rouge instead of jumping in with the shot which appears to have been a bad move for me.

minnie
26-11-2009, 08:42 PM
It is probably that the tumble dryer goes much faster than the barrell polisher, giving a much harder hit of the steel.

The steel shot and barrelbrite are made to go tumblers, which go at a slow regular speed.People please stop suggesting tumble dryers!! It's a bit like put the kitten in the microwave to dry it off!! Doesn't work!!

The dents are there.

caroleallen
26-11-2009, 09:22 PM
What a shame. I suppose you could try filing the dents out but it depends on the piece. Could you incorporate the dents into the design maybe?

Emerald
26-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Ok, I don't know if this is possible, but I threw my silver creation in with a load of shot, washing up liquid and water, and chucked it in the tumble dryer.

It came out looking shiny, but also covered in mini dents from the shot. Can any one tell me
a) what I did wrong #-o
b) how to fix it :help:
c) if there is a foolproof way to polish silver (even if it takes forever it's surely better than wrecking a piece?)

Unfortunately it was a piece for a customer, and I really don't feel I can send it out looking imperfect. Probably not the best piece to experiment on (fool that I am!), so I'd love to rescue it rather than starting again.

Completely annoyed with myself now, probably should have bought some rouge instead of jumping in with the shot which appears to have been a bad move for me.

Put it in a container attach a magnet to the outside and you are ready to go have tried this as an experiment and only the OH clothes where in there and funnily enough............................ ooooh lots of shinies xx

mizgeorge
26-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Tumble driers don't go fast at all! You do need to attach the container to the drum though, or it's falling from a height, which won't work. What size shot were you using though - I'm surprised it's managed to dent silver.

If it's a flat piece, you could probably forge it back to pretty flat, and then use emery paper/micromesh and retumble. Before I got my tumbler, I used to just roll my jar of bits back and forth under my foot while I was doing something else, thereby getting a bit of a foot massage in the process ;)

emroyjewels
27-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Thankyou so much!:ta:

Will be off to buy some micromesh to try and rescue it now.

Really appreciate your help guys, shall experiement again, but maybe not with a customer order. :(|

Hart-Star
28-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I got a bench polishing machine from these folk, and it isn't noisy at all

[url=http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/[/url]