PDA

View Full Version : Dying metal

Coco
23-11-2009, 11:59 AM
How'dya do it?

I know we've been through it before but remind me. Someone said you can use dylon I think. Can you? And you can also buy pre anodised aluminium. Do you just paint it on like paint or do you have to leave it to soak?

minnie
23-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi
You can use permanant markers, you can get sets on ebay. There are dyes especially made by a company called Apollo.(when I did it we dyed the sheet and used the markers on top)
If you use dyes you immerse the metal then take it out and dip it in hot water and it seals the colour. You can use Dylon I think but seem to remember someone saying it could be patchy.
I also remember that the anodised aluminium had to be coloured within a short time of buying for it to work ( not sure on time etc)
I went on a one day workshop with Mandy Nash at the Model House Gallery in Wales.
Lindsay Mann is bringing out a book next summer called Coloured Aluminium Jewellery (she also runs workshops)
If you look on John Moore's website johnmoorejewellery.com there is a bit about the making process, which describes how he does it.
I read somewhere that Jane Adam is doing a book as well, which will be great as her work is amazing.
Hope this is of use.

caroleallen
23-11-2009, 03:52 PM
You use inks and dyes made specially for anodised aluminium by a company called Clarion. They're very expensive though. When I set up it cost me about £1,000 to get the basic colours. You can use permanent markers but you can't really print with them. As long as you don't handle the sheets with bare hands, the inks and dyes leave colour wherever they touch. You have to scrub off the excess inks afterwards. The anodised aluminium sheets have to be kept sealed as they deteriorate.