PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress - start to finish of a PMC mixed media piece

MuranoSilver
23-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Well here's a picture of the original design plus the thickened up on the PC version printed on transparency, the impression plate and focal piece.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thothpendant.jpg
and this is a close up of the impression plate and focal.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thothpendant2.jpg
This is only the first part there's going to be quite a few more sections + a whole lot of colour added before I'm finished....
I thought I'd share as I went along, it's a big project so it'll be great to get some encouragement along the way :D
Nicola x

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh WOW they are beautiful!!

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Love the design Nic...and the shape! Where is it heading....are you free to tell us or are your lips sealed????
But before you go any further....HOW do you get from a printed transparency to an impression plate???:confused:...now THAT I would really be interested in.... A whole new world would open up!!!
Barbara

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Oooh yes I'm free to tell you but that would spoil the fun....:D
Getting from a drawing to an impression plate isn't too complicated but it does involve some equipment....
The impression plate is a Photo Polymer Plate I get mine from the USA it's done using UV light (like a nail salon box).

Here ya go here's a whole blog post about them:
http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-pictures-into-jewellery.html

Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Urrrggghhhhh...my heart has skipped a beat....not good at my age!! I've just had a quick peep and it looks amazing...I must learn more about that. I've got my 3 year old grandson to look after today...and I have a ring for my daughter to finish for this evening - and my fix of the forum to fit in;)... but I will read that on the blog and the link to the video you have on there....But before I go pick him up...tell me - are the plates expensive...and the equipment? Finances are very tight in my household so I can't just splurge when I want to...a joy deferred....I think that will be my epitaph!!
Barbara

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 08:23 AM
The plates are about $5 for two 2x2inch plates & I use a Rio Salon UV Nails unit which was about £80 from Argos
there are smaller UV boxes on Ebay
which are cheaper but you need to be able to fit the exposure frame in so they need to be of a reasonable size :)
PAJED do a photopolymer plate kit (http://www.pajed.co.uk/asp/Product.asp?PID=48) with all the other bits n bobs (+sell plates)
Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
24-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow *jaw drops*
This is all so new to me! I had no idea you could do this sort of stuff..

I take it you can keep reusing that plate thingy to imprint the PMC?
That is so clever.

I love transferring drawing into work - I transferred a lot of my drawings into etched metal at uni - this is right up my street!

Love it! Can't wait to see what it turns into :)

julie
24-07-2009, 09:33 AM
WOW ... when i think how good pmc is & what wonderful things you can do you amaze us with even more ways to use it with lovely results ...you really do know your stuff and make such beautiful jewellery :)

Coco
24-07-2009, 12:15 PM
+ a whole lot of colour added before I'm finished....

Gorgeous design. How are you going to add colour? With enamel or.....something else?

Bet you're all impressed with my technical knowledge :D

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The plates are about $5 for two 2x2inch plates & I use a Rio Salon UV Nails unit which was about £80 from Argos
there are smaller UV boxes on Ebay
which are cheaper but you need to be able to fit the exposure frame in so they need to be of a reasonable size :)
PAJED do a photopolymer plate kit (http://www.pajed.co.uk/asp/Product.asp?PID=48) with all the other bits n bobs (+sell plates)
Nic x

My OH is worried now as I spent the last half an hour reading up on this, reading your post and watching the video from your blog and making 'ohhhhhhh-ing' sounds... the kind of ohhhhhhh-ing sounds he says usually mean more expense :D

Are the impressions that the plates make deep enough to enamel at all?

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Ooooh yes **nods sagely they're perfect for enamelling!!
Nic x

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 05:03 PM
OK here's todays progress:
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth3.jpg
I've added the back piece and started the carving on the edges.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth4.jpg
Also made the bezel edges to hold the stone.

Next is to add the back decoration / text and finish the front edge texture.
If I get time I'd also like to start making the back for the bezel section & work out how I'm going to make the bail.....

Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
24-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Ooh it's starting to shape up! It looks great!

Coco
24-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Stoopid question alert, but is that its actual size?

julie
24-07-2009, 05:52 PM
looking good :D

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks all :)
Coco it's currently 6.5cms high (inc bezel) and 4.5wide but as it's SilverClay it will shrink with firing.
Nic x

SilverByRosie
24-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Possibly a silly question, but would it be possible to make an impression plate using lino?
I remember making lino prints in a high school art class and they went quite well, but I'm not sure how well they'd work pressing into the clay.

~Rosie

Charlotte
24-07-2009, 08:24 PM
That looks fab, and very neat (I have an obsession with clean lines;)).

Its got a tribal edge to it, is that where the inspiration came from or am I making this up?;) I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

The Bijou Dragon
24-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Ohhhh... see there's that noise the OH doesn't like again lol

Looks beautiful Nic can't wait to see the finished piece *sooo impatient* :D

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I remember making lino prints in a high school art class and they went quite well, but I'm not sure how well they'd work pressing into the clay.

~Rosie

They work fine as do erasor carvings and lots of other impression making things for silver clay. (Just make sure they're oiled so the clay doesn't stick).

Charlotte I love Tribal designs and get a lot of inspiration from tribal artform, Maori patterns and even Tattoo art!

Bijou - I'll try to get more finished soon ;)

Nic x

Coco
25-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks all :)
Coco it's currently 6.5cms high (inc bezel) and 4.5wide but as it's SilverClay it will shrink with firing.
Nic x

Well it could never be too big ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
25-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Good Heavens! What a whopper!! I can't bear to think how much clay is in that! It certainly puts my tiddlers to shame!:o
Barbara

MuranoSilver
25-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I just weighed the pendant on my jewellery scales - it's currently 23.4g!
Tonights post is a little later as I've been busy working on the pendant....
Here's the front with the carving all finished and the back on the bezel setting.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth6.jpg
and here's the back with a little "surprise" - can't see a bail?
That's because those little holes are where the brooch pin will go!
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth7.jpg
And here's the trial fit for the brooch pin...
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth8.jpg
You can also see the back detail a little more clearly and my makers stamp.

I tried really had to come up with a bail that wasn't clunky but didn't like any of them -
so now it's a brooch BUT I will be making a slider bail to fit over the brooch pin :D

Next I need to build up some PMC over the pin fittings and then the PMC part is done (except for the firing!)

Nicola x

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Beautiful - watching with bated breath...

Di x

The Bijou Dragon
25-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Oooooohhhh!! I get so excited when I see a new post on this thread! Can't wait to see the finished item. :D

julie
26-07-2009, 07:56 AM
It's Beautiful .. the finish on the back very tidy,an all round lovely piece when the colour in "WOW" :D

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Today we have two days work in one post (I was teaching yesterday so although I slipped my piece in with the students work I didn't get time to do photos)....
Firstly my ARRRGH moment - this was the result of the first firing...
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth-cracked.jpg
The crack was actually the better of the two outcomes of having made the bezel a bit too snug....
Luckily for me I always double anneal pieces that are being made with a solid bezel back so the glass didn't break, the silver did.
I made up some lavender paste & went to bed....
Some lavender paste and a second firing later -
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth10.jpg
and here's the back (notice I've built up the embedded brooch parts to add strength)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth9.jpg
Okay I realise straight out of the kiln silver clay isn't very exciting (even with sparkly Dichroic)
So here's a picture of the back all polished up & oxidised to show the detail.....
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth11.jpg

It's got to be a separate post anyway (I've used up the pics per post limit)
so would you like to see the front???

Nic xx

The Bijou Dragon
27-07-2009, 04:59 PM
No... no wait... I mean the other one... yes!!!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Please !

AlexandraBuckle
27-07-2009, 05:03 PM
He he he! Lol. Yes pleasy!

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 05:05 PM
And as if by magic.....
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth12.jpg
I now can't decide what to do - I could just oxidise the cells
or stick with my original plan and use cold enamels (resins).

Which I guess would be more fun as you could see the colours go in
section by section.....
Any thoughts??
Nic x

bustagasket
27-07-2009, 05:11 PM
omg! i am just gob smacked, its brilliant. I HAVE to get to play with this clay stuff sooner rather than later, not want HAVE HAVE HAVE to. The price of a kiln is a little scary but i will have to cross that bridge when i get to it, but i gotta find a way to learn to do this!!!!

AlexandraBuckle
27-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Gah! I don't know - I'm so indecisive! Both would look good, though I think as you have have the purple already, add some more colour... I think...

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 05:16 PM
AWWW....don't tease us! We've all seen boring oxidised stuff!! WE WANT COLOUR!! Or I do anyway!:">
Barbara

julie
27-07-2009, 05:18 PM
i'd like to see colour too :rolleyes:

Charlotte
27-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I would love to see the colour too. Looking beautiful by the way!:-O:-D

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 07:04 PM
colour, colour, colour.

You are such a tease :dance:

Di x

The Bijou Dragon
27-07-2009, 08:26 PM
That's really, really lovely! Would love to see colour in it though :)

agent_44
27-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Ooh that's lovely.

Not sure about enamels, as you've got some quite bold colour up there with the dichroic and it might distract from it. Some kind of patina woudl look great though - a purpley - black finish in the recessed areas would look great with the stone.

Lindyloo
27-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Would you believe I've only just discovered this thread - I'm new to forums. :confused:

But I second all the comments - It's truly lovely. I'd also go with adding colour.

I love the idea of using lino cuts to make templates for PMC. Very accessible.

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I've used all these colours.....
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth-resins.jpg
and it's taken nearly 5 hours, but here you are....
I present "Thoth" (the Egyptian God of Scribes)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/thoth-finished.jpg
is this where you now say "actually oxidised would be good..." #-o

Nic xxx

The Bijou Dragon
27-07-2009, 10:39 PM
is this where you now say "actually oxidised would be good..." #-o

Well now you come to mention it... lol

Nah, it's beautiful I love the colours... stunning infact!

agent_44
27-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Actually - the colours you have used look lovely! :D

julie
28-07-2009, 05:32 AM
beautiful the colours are lovely :dance:

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 06:37 AM
it is absolutely beautiful, no other words for it. I am gonna have to kill you now :P

Solunar Silver Studio
28-07-2009, 07:33 AM
It really is beautiful...and I love 'peacock colours'...but 5 HOURS!!!...I guess that would take it a tad out of my price bracket!!:'(
The cold enamel colours are really bright and clear aren't they? I know nothing about them. I did some resin work at college and didn't get on with it...one piece that I cast..about 10 inches high...is still 'sticky' nearly 4 years later!! So I never got to finish it off...I obviously got the mix wrong, which was a shame, cos it would have been boootiful!!
How durable are they when set? Would they scratch? And could you tumble that piece now or would that wreck the resins? And do you end up wasting all the colours in the mixing cups now? Not that I'm a penny pincher you know[-X:-" ...but this is credit crunch Britain!!
Barbara

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Love the colours, Nic. Love the whole thing in fact. Have a 'link' with Thoth too - I'm a tarot reader and my fave deck is.... Thoth!

AlexandraBuckle
28-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Wow - it looks great! Really like the green colour in particular.

Interested to hear the answers to Barbara's questions. I too was not keen on resin at uni.

I would actually like to know why it took that long (ha ha not like OMG you work sooo slowly) I mean more the processes involved.

How come it is so time consuming? Thats what I'm trying to ask!
I'm so rubbish with words sometimes!

Charlotte
28-07-2009, 08:37 AM
This has been one of my favourite threads so far, I think it would be fab if everyone could take a few photos of their work in progress and start a thread... I was going to the other day but my camera wouldn't turn on#-o

There is something about the process which is very intriguing, especially with us all working in different styles and materials.

In fact I'm going to go to teso's now and get some batteries ([-o< hopefully that'll work) and if I can think of something to start making I'll do one... but I'm more interested in what everyone else is doing!;)

Gorgeous work Nic! Is it in the shop for sale yet?

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Awww thanks for all the feedback folks, it's been such fun posting up all the progress!

Bustagasket - You're going to kill me??? Is that because you like it? If so you best avoid all top end jewellery shows as it might result in carnage!!! :help: :D

Barbara (Solunar) - Things always take me ages with a prototype especially as those colours in the pots were just the final mix. Each pot had a big sheet of aluminium foil with lots of dribbles on it while I was guessing the colour mix & how much Pearl-ex powder to add for a metallic sheen.

Oooh which reminds me I hadn't mentioned that although the resins are bright and clear looking, they actually have Pearl Ex powders added for a more enamel like sheen.... The Resins I used are colores gemstone transparent range part of cooksons kit!

That piece you cast are there any stones set into it? If it's just silver and resin (and not too delicate) then you might be able to thermal shock the resin and any residue off. Go outside (coz it stinks and the fumes are poisonous) heat the metal until it's hot and the resin is burning off then quench it in cold water....You might have to do it a few times and they'll be cleaning up afterwards but it will give you a fresh opportunity to try again.

The colours in the mixing cups are mainly used up as I have bangle moulds and little earring cups at the ready. Spare resin is just poured into them and I then have funky bangles to gift to friends []

I always leave a smidgen in the cup though as it's a good way to test if the pendant might be set. Poking something you don't care about with your finger, is much better than leaving prints on the stuff you took time with.

I also dry the pendants in upside down clear sandwich boxes (to reduce dust hitting it).

Moon Cottage I collect tarot decks and angel cards as I adore the artwork on them... Thoth is very artistic isn't it, I also adore the Greenwood Tarot, Hello Kitty, Illuminated Tarot (which is hand painted) and The Phantomwise Tarot.

Alexandra It took so long because I was blending the colours with pigments etc and being really picky. I test them on the shiny side of aluminium foil as it's the closest match to how they'd look on the pendant /brooch. If I'd used the colours as they mix it would've taken about 1 1/2 hours (I'm still picky about filling the cells and do it with toothpicks).

Charlotte Hooray!!! can't wait to see your eye candy! This one won't be for sale. I've decided to try making some ltd edition ranges. This is 1 in an edition of 12 (I'd like to keep one of each so when clients come in thay can actually see the work I produce rather than just photos). Each one will be different some will be pendants, some brooches and some both there will be a few in the £95 price range and it will go up to about £280 for the most extravagant one.
I've already started Thoth 2/12 :D

Nic xx

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I collect tarot decks and angel cards as I adore the artwork on them... Thoth is very artistic isn't it, I also adore the Greenwood Tarot, Hello Kitty, Illuminated Tarot (which is hand painted) and The Phantomwise Tarot.

Nic - I have close to 100 decks :-" so if there are any that you particularly fancy seeing I can always send you a scan.

Di x

Solunar Silver Studio
28-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all that Nic, very enlightening!!
And just to put the record straight...the piece I did at college (3D Design Craft) was JUST clear resin...I couldn't run to a piece of silver 10 inches high!!:eek: It was a piece of sculpture that was supposed to be part of my final year exhibition...it was supposed to have a sort of ice and water theme...but ended up looking like it was made of wet sugar!:'( . It is getting less tacky each year ...so perhaps by 2020 I could start to polish it up!!!:-D
Barbara

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Bustagasket - You're going to kill me??? Is that because you like it? If so you best avoid all top end jewellery shows as it might result in carnage!!! :help: :D

Nic xx

Yes Nic I BLOODY LOVE IT lol I am jealous as hell that i didnt pluck up the courage and start doing this stuff years ago. and INSANELY jealous of all the beautiful creations i see you guys making. I badly need experience and education and and and................eeeeeeeeveryfink!!!!!!

Su'

The Bijou Dragon
28-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Completely off topic here but...

How strange... I collect Tarot cards, Angel Blessing Cards, Playing Cards and any other variety of cards you can imagine including close-up Magic trick deck cards... I have two HUGE boxes full of packs of cards from all over the world.

Have to say though, my favourite pack of cards is Peter Pracowniks Dragon Tarot (or any of the other Dragon themed sets)

... if you want more wierd... my name is also Nicola and I used to collect Murano Glass...

Can you hear the twilight zone music?

:D

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Can you hear the twilight zone music?

Sure can 0:-)

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I am sooooo glad I did not get into PMC or ACS even after having done an evening class in it otherwise I would be ordering this weird and wonderful equipment to make my own molds etc. Am content to watch and wonder....

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Looks fab Nic :-) :cool:
Reminds me to get going on my photopolymer again!! (used it once, moved house, needed a new printer, blah blah blah) just need a design now.....that's the hard bit lol ;-)
love it though :-)
where did you get your name stamp? is that a plate too??? looks very good.
Em

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Completely off topic here but...
How strange... I collect Tarot cards... if you want more wierd... my name is also Nicola and I used to collect Murano Glass...
Can you hear the twilight zone music? :D

Ok I'm scared now - I've seen "Single White Female" ROFL ;)
EmmaRose my name stamp is from Babette Cox (who is brilliant)
Nic x

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 09:46 PM
It's lovely Nic. Do you prefer resin to enamel? I've got some cold enamels but I didn't really get on with them. I think it may have something to do with me being far too impatient to wait for it to set. Enamel is much more instant, though there's more scope for it going wrong.

MuranoSilver
29-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I've only done basic playing with enamels - it's the scope for things to go wrong that I find a little scary :-O
What I like about resins it that it's very much a what you see is what you get and mixing shades together is sooooo much easier.
I do intend to get into enamels more though, even if only to use some of the many enamellling
supplies I've purchased and not yet used :">
nic xx

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:27 PM
@ Nic,
might have guessed :-)
think we all have stuff hanging around we haven't uder yet :-)
I love resin because you can embed stuff in it, and I can't burn it :dance:
Em

roxiejewelry
02-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Great start! Can't wait to see the final product.

MuranoSilver
02-08-2009, 07:52 AM
It's on page 4 Roxie :D

Coco
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Can you kiln fire cold enamels as well as set them cold or do they just turn into a melted pile of goo?

Coco
02-08-2009, 01:12 PM
And can you imprint stuff on it? :dance:

MuranoSilver
02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Cold Enamels are resins, so if you put in a hot kiln you'd charred goo AND some pretty toxic chemicals.

Hmm not sure about imprinting resin but you can definately trap fabric, papers and all kinds of stuff within it :D
You can imprint onto polymer clay though and that CAN then be added into/onto fired clay.
Nicx

Coco
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
If I wanted to encase a flower or something in it, would I have to dry the flower first or could I just pick it and entomb it in resin?

Sorry, I keep asking things :o

MuranoSilver
02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I would probably dry it first - but the best thing to do would be test it ;)

Lindyloo
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you have to take special precautions when using cold enamels like using extraction? Why oh why is enamelling so hazadous?

MuranoSilver
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
People call it cold enamel because it sounds posh, but really it's just resin :D

I just make sure the windows are open and the room is well ventilated.
The fumes can be quite strong though, so if you have access to extraction then use it ;)

nic x

reikiangel
02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
This thread is SO interesting .. im loving it!
Nic i love your work xxx

Coco
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
the best thing to do would be test it ;)

Nah that takes too long. I wanna know noooooooooooooooooooooooow!!! :dance:

Or just do a test. Whatever *-:):D

Coco
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
#-o I forgot to say thanks for your help

Thank you :)

Coco
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Once you've mixed resin and hardener together, can you store them in a pot or something to use at a later time or do you have to use straight away?

ps_bond
11-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Once you've mixed resin and hardener together, can you store them in a pot or something to use at a later time or do you have to use straight away?

All 2 pack compounds - epoxy resins, polyester resins, RTV rubber etc. etc. have a limited "pot life" once they are mixed with their hardeners. The pot life can be from minutes to a few hours (and you can retard it a little bit by chilling it, but it's not usually a good idea). So... Not really, no. Check the instructions on them to see how long the pot life is.

Oh, and take care with them - some of the compounds can be significantly unpleasant; wear gloves & ventilate.

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Yep - Limited life, in the case of colors they're workable for an hour or so then 24-48 hours to harden. The hardner alone also has a shelf life (about 6 months)

Nic x

Coco
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
And once they've hardened there's no way of re-using them?

MuranoSilver
11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I often just pour them into a shape e.g a bangle or block then you can saw into them or shape them into other stuff....it's just a hunk of resin
Nic x

jille
13-04-2011, 03:22 PM
A fascinating read Nic, thank you, love the brooch BTW