PDA

View Full Version : Am I an idiot for doing this?

Coco
23-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I recently quit a jewellery course for lots of reasons but the long and the short of it is, I want to be a jewellery maker. So I found another course which starts in september, and while I am really excited about it, there's a tiny little voice in me head asking me if I'm sure and I hated the other one so what's the point of starting a new one it'll just be a waste of time and effort so why bother.

But....I can't just give up already....can I?

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I think you need to figure out what the MAIN reason for leaving the last course was. For example, was it the tutor, or the other students, or what you were learning. A differnt tutor and friendly fellow students can make even a dull unit in a course fun! If it was the actual subject that turned you off...did you stay long enough to get past the boring basics - health and safety - how to handle tools etc...every course has these and you have to grit your teeth until you break through to the other side! Even the best and most interesting courses have rough bits...nothing is perfect...and you may have to do stuff that you would rather not do...but there is nothing like learning from someone who knows what they are talking about and can show you how to do it. Teaching yourself from books is a solitary business and although rewarding is hard because you have to figure out what you have done wrong and how to fix it by yourself...there is no one to ask! I would go back to college at the drop of a hat if they offered a pmc certification course. I am saving to go to the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery to do the Diploma in PMC. I've got the train fare and most of the accomodation for 10 days so far (that has taken 18 months) but still have the fees of £1,500 to go...and as that goes up each year I am playing catch up!! I will do it eventually!! If you really want to learn how to do something, stifle that little voice in your head or it may stop you from achieving what you really want!

AlexandraBuckle
24-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Thats great advice Barbara :)
Ooh your like the forums agony aunt!

How similar is this new course to the old one? I agree with Solunar, you need to pinpoint what it is you didn't like about the old course and try and figure out if you are likely to encounter the same problems in the new one.

Or if you really want it to learn - grin and bear the bits you don't like...?

Coco
24-07-2009, 10:05 AM
It was mainly the tutors and the way things were run there that I didn't like. The other students were a solid mass of gorgeousness (Except the really annoying ones that I just wanted to slap :p)

But no, I kinda miss the others, and I don't want to sound all needy and pathetic but I think I quite need some kind of structure and someone dishing out deadlines and things otherwise I won't get anything done :o

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 10:43 AM
There is a test to see if you've learnt all you can learn...
If you're alive, you haven't

No learning is EVER a waste of time, it might not even be something you put into practise straight away, but who knows when the gems you'll learn on this course will come in useful.
Barbara (Solunar) made some very useful points, it very much depends on why you ditched the first course. You say you "Hated" the first one, unfortunately many basic silver smithing courses can be a bit like that.
Remember what Mr Miyage did to that poor Karate Kid....all that "wipe on, wipe off", drove him crazy! Before you can play with the art form you sometimes have to do a bit of boring repetitive stuff to gain the technique....

When I went in a soldering course we did 2 days solid of soldering a mixed thickness wire long weave panel. We then cut the panel up and I made two bangles and a pendant. I learnt a lot though & sold the pieces.
I kept a picture of the pendant bit ;)

Nic x

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree, try it first! Get the right course and it will be a great experience!
Mid Cornwall school v. expensive! I would love to go but have settled for going on the conferences instead- you learn so much!
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 11:16 AM
It was mainly the tutors and the way things were run there that I didn't like. The other students were a solid mass of gorgeousness (Except the really annoying ones that I just wanted to slap :p)

But no, I kinda miss the others, and I don't want to sound all needy and pathetic but I think I quite need some kind of structure and someone dishing out deadlines and things otherwise I won't get anything done :o

Not needy and pathetic at all...I can tell you it is one of the hardest things I have ever done...trying to set up an 'arty crafty' type of business by myself when there are no other 'arty crafty' people around that I can bounce ideas off. My family are great and very supportive in principle but none of them has an interest in anything I do or create in the jewellery line. I usually get - 'Oh yes, that's NICE - well done!'...when what I really need is...'Oh yes, I think that bit works really well but what about trying such and such on that piece there...' Other 'arty crafty' people make you think outside the box and challenge you... That's why I am so addicted to this forum...it is like a lifeline thrown to an artistically dying craftsperson!!...THANKS GUYS!!:D:o
If you live in Surbiton surely there are other colleges around that would offer similar courses if you don't like the ethos of the one you went to.
Barbara

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 11:28 AM
seconding every thing Barbara just said!

Coco
24-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Thinking about it more, it really is the tutors in the last place that put me off. My first jewellery course I did was full of boring bits but ultimately an ace experience and the thing that made me want to become a jewellery maker. The tutor there was really supportive and had the attitude of no mistakes just things you learn from. Whereas my last tutor was if you make another mistake you should just kill yourself. Said jokingly of course, but still blooming hurtful.

I think I'm just scared of having another mean tutor.

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Thinking about it more, it really is the tutors in the last place that put me off. My first jewellery course I did was full of boring bits but ultimately an ace experience and the thing that made me want to become a jewellery maker. The tutor there was really supportive and had the attitude of no mistakes just things you learn from. Whereas my last tutor was if you make another mistake you should just kill yourself. Said jokingly of course, but still blooming hurtful.

I think I'm just scared of having another mean tutor.

It wasn't a MAN was it???!!!:D I was the only female in an all male class...all about a foot taller than me...(although I probably had the edge on poundage!!:o) and we were doing welding and blacksmithing. Well the tutor was constantly making comments that made me feel 'awkward'.:mad: The only way I could stop him was to confront him in class and tell him he was a rude and obnoxious man.....the worm turned!!:D If someone is out of line you have a right to stand your ground - politely, of course!!
Barbara

Coco
24-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Politely? I can't just bash 'em with a bangle mandrel? ;)

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 12:22 PM
My first tutor like that too, the best I ever had. At university one of tutors said my stuff looked like it belonged on a market stall!
E

Coco
27-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Well the deed is done and I've enrolled :dance:

Only gotta wait 7 weeks for it to start

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Well done!! Seven weeks is a long time though...just make sure you keep shutting up that little voice in the mean time...if you start to weaken just come back and tell us all and we will all rally round!!:)
Barbara

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Have I got time to sharpen a bangle mandrel for you to take (just in case, lol)?? :-"
nic x

bustagasket
27-07-2009, 02:38 PM
the course i am on is quire informal as it has no proper qualification at the end but i tohught it would be a good introduction to the world of design and making. I am a huge wuss and would easily get away from any course where the tutor was a..........shall we say, a tad unapproachable :P All i can say is, put it down to experience and roll on the new course!

Coco
27-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Awww thanks guys!

Barbara - I might just take you up on that. Right now I feel good about it but nearer the time I'll probably be all "I don't wanna gooooo!!!!!! :'(!

Nic - Bless ya for the offer and I don't know. How long does it take to sharpen a bangle mandrel? ;)

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 03:46 PM
How long does it take to sharpen a bangle mandrel?

It's ready when you are - group effort got it done quick.

Di

agent_44
27-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I did a course once where I wasn't soo keen on it and it put me off, but now I am looking to do more. The last course, there was hardly any equipment and in 10 weeks I just about made a ring. I spent most of the course waiting around.

If I were you I'd call the college, and ask if you coudl speak to the tutor on the phone, get a list of questions together about the course so you could get a feel for what they will be like.

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Blimey - I'm away for a couple of days and you're all sorted out - I was just getting my reply ready to your original post and ... well its all been said and what a fantastic bunch of people you all are!

Matp85
16-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Take the course and all it throws at you!

I spent the first two years of my apprenticeship polishing in a room with no company, one window and a loud vacuum unit! Honestly patience is a virtue.

Most my friends work on buses or in retail and they don't have any creativity in their job or the satisfaction like mending or creating a piece!

Coco
25-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! It starts 3 weeks today and I'm getting nervous about. Particularly as I've signed up for a drama course which starts on the same day. I'm still doing the right thing......right?

The Dragon
25-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm not an expert on courses, never had the opportunity to do a jewellery one - but.

Follow your heart ... at 3 in the morning when you are too tired to worry about the politics of the decision, depressed because you've forgotten which direction has the light at the end of the tunnel, wonder how you ever dared to think you might have any talent ... just stop a while and listen to the silence and forget everything... then listen to it a little more ... and very slowly your heart will tell you the right direction to go.

Corney as it sounds, you just have to have faith that your soul will guide you in the right direction!

<3<3

CyberPaddy66
31-08-2009, 12:28 PM
You get a big :Y: from me, if I had time for a course I'd take one in a heartbeat... "take what you can and give nothing back" I believe is the phrase Captain Jack uses :lol: but I'm sure you'll give plenty of lovely jewellery back to the world when your finished :X

Solunar Silver Studio
31-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! It starts 3 weeks today and I'm getting nervous about. Particularly as I've signed up for a drama course which starts on the same day. I'm still doing the right thing......right?

Hasn't your thirst for knowledge grown enormously by reading this forum and discovering all the things you wish you could do but need someone to show you how to get started... This course is your opportunity.... and with the knowledge bank you now have at your fingertips you can make sure you are the 'star pupil' with all the right questions to ask the tutor to help to steer the course in the direction to make it interesting for you!!:Y:

Coco
02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Hasn't your thirst for knowledge grown enormously by reading this forum

No. It's just made me fearful that I won't be able to do anything and I'll just be sat there like a proper boob.

I need to get solder and saw blades and there's no time! :'(:'(:'(

Solunar Silver Studio
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
No. It's just made me fearful that I won't be able to do anything and I'll just be sat there like a proper boob.

I need to get solder and saw blades and there's no time! :'(:'(:'(

Coco!!! You are going there to learn things...not teach the whole class!! But if you can show you are keen and interested and excited by the whole process the tutor and the other learners will warm to you!! I'm sure you will love it....and I for one am very jealous of you! I would love to be going back to college - I really miss the cameraderie...and the feeling of purpose you get when you are on a course!

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
You will be fine Coco! You won't be able to wait for week two :)
Em

Emerald
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Coco

I loved every minute of my time at college and yes it was a few years ago but i would go back in a flash, they should have all the things you need there as back up so dont worry, good luck wish it where me.
By the way which college are you going to?

Coco
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
N'aaaaaw thanks everyone, you guys are so ace! [[]]

Can you just make sure you're around on september 14th? ;)

Emerald - it's @ Kensington & chelsea community college. Pretty near Portobello Road :dance:

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
oh Coco, I went there :) who is taking your class?
Em

Coco
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
OMG! How was it for you? :rofl:

I think it's Jenny Macdonald

EmmaRose
03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
It was great. Fab if you have Jenny, she was best jewellery tutor I have ever had- clear explanations and demos, never never makes you feel stupid and says the right thing when you feel frustrated or it isn't going right and you want to tear your hair out! You are in great hands. The best :) If not for her encouragement I wouldn't have done my jewellery degree. You have any worries talk to her.
Emma

Coco
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Really? Really? Really? You're not just saying this to make me feel better are you? :-D

P.S. Did you ever see Angela Lansbury, 3 kids and the meanie dad from from Mary Poppins hanging around, singing? ;)

EmmaRose
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
No, she really is great, I can't sing her praises highly enough. Remember me to her (Emma Beane). I am so glad- I know you will be fine now!
Em

Coco
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Thankyou! :ta:

I actually had a nightmare about my old tutor last night. If she turns up, I'm killing myself on the spot.

EmmaRose
05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Now that would be a waste!!
I am sure she won't (except as a student herself LOL ;))
Em

AlexandraBuckle
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Ahh, thats great news - I bet you feel much better about it now Coco :)

Let us know how you get on won't you.

Coco
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Kind of. I'm still worried they're all gonna hate me though! :'(

EmmaRose
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Of course they won't!
Em

Coco
08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Em, you're so good at saying the right thing []

EmmaRose
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Will send you the bill later Coco :D
Let me know how you get on
Em

Coco
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Will do, and I hope you're charging student rates ;)

Dare I say, right now, I'm quite excited about it. I probably won't be on monday night when I'm sulking about having to get up at stupid o'clock on Tuesday, but for now..... SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Thats the spirit.
Em

CDW Designs
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Coco
I am sure the course will be great. I had a look at going there a few months ago but havent done anything about it. I may be too late now. I wish you good luck and I am sure it will be fantastic. Keep asking the questions. You could always look up Designer Courses (based at Cockpit Arts in Holborn) for short courses. I have been on two and they were quite good. They got me going!!

Christine :)))

Coco
09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Christine. Ya know it doesn't start till tuesday, there may still be time to enrol :Y:

Coco
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
My evil alarm didn't go off today and neither did the back up alarm. I could have gone in late but chose not to, do you think it's a sign that it's all downhill from here?

bustagasket
06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
oh lord Coco, thats not a good start at all, but lets not be pessimistic, no it can only go uphill from here :D

Coco
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
oh lord Coco, thats not a good start at all,

Is the art of lying completely lost to you? That's totally not what I wanted to hear! #-o

Other people have missed classes anyway :-"

P.S. Nice save :Y:

bustagasket
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
oopsie! sawrie :((

Coco
06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't worry, it's my screw up []

Tbh, I'm rather pleased about feeling guilty, it sure beats indifference.

CDW Designs
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Hi Coco
I hope you get to the next week's class. I would have gone in anyway, I am sure it is just nerves and anticipation to you starting this course. I am sure it will be great, you've got to get into the swing of things!! Perseverance and persist with your wish to succeed.

Let us know how it all goes.... Waiting to see all the wonderful things you will make.
I-):))):)))

CDW Designs
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Just thought Coco
You might need some inspiration. Go and vist the ORIGIN 2009 show at Somerset House, absolutely fantastic, has really inspired me. There are so many fantastic jewellers amongst other crafts. Really great, not that I can do a lot of what they do but they are so great!!
:Y:

bustagasket
06-10-2009, 05:01 PM

[] stop winding yourself up about it hun, its not the end of the world, and next week you will be there, bright eyed and bushy tailed and they wont know whats hit them :P:Y:

Coco
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Lol, thanks guys, actually next class is on thursday, gonna triple and quadruple set my alarm. Actually maybe I just won't bother with sleep tomorrow at all!

Just thought Coco
You might need some inspiration. Go and vist the ORIGIN 2009 show at Somerset House, absolutely fantastic, has really inspired me. There are so many fantastic jewellers amongst other crafts. Really great, not that I can do a lot of what they do but they are so great!!
:Y:

One of my tutors is exhibiting there....she might think I'm stalking her :mwahaha: