PDA

View Full Version : 3rd jewellery event + feedback

Petal
21-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I haven't been posting much in the last couple of weeks, as I've had my third village jewellery event today, so had been busy making new stuff. I decided to try out using card to display my earrings, which are usually displayed on pins on a board, or on a perspex stand. The problem with just pinning earrings on a board or within a perspex stand is that if someone just wants to look at a pair of earrings, its a pain, especially for those people that are shy and just want to look. Pinning earrings onto a thick card, means they can have a look themselves and if interested they can buy. I'm also thinking that in future I might use my business card to display earrings on, with the name and details on the back, earrings, beads used and price on the front. I'll try it out at an event, see what happens and let you know.

I'd say that using the cards were definitely a success. I had many more people picking up my jewellery and having a look at it. I'd asked some ladies at a previous event why they didn't pick up my stuff and they said they felt reluctant to - whereas if the jewellery was displayed on a card (as in M&S), they would feel much more comfortable. I also noticed that, all of my sales were from repeat customers, bar one! I also had people bringing me jewellery to repair/redesign, so that was a compliment too.

On the negative side I spent so long organising the earring cards, that I hadn't priced up some of my jewellery and thought I could wing it. [-X Not a good idea to ever go down that route again. Totally uprofessional.

Attached are my first attempts at making some wrapped earrings and two necklaces.

Next event...... two weeks time =:-O

Well guys, I'm absolutely cream crackered... absolutely fed up with this rain rain rain but hopefully I shall sleep and not think of jewellery! (I woke up at 5.30 on Thursday morning with the thought of ... I MUST make that necklace). Yup, you've guessed it - I'm addicted to jewellery :Y:

xx

minnie
21-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Trying to be gentle here. But believe me I have been there a long time ago.

Earrings need to hang, not lie. Each piece needs to be priced so people know without asking.

You can make a earring hanger by piercing holes in cardboard placing the earrings and folding the rest like an easel so they hang.

The same with pendants etc everything should hang like it would for the wearer.

A little price in the same area ( ie bottom right hand corner )

There are companies that sell stands etc very competatively priced.

Petal
22-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Trying to be gentle here. But believe me I have been there a long time ago.

Earrings need to hang, not lie. Each piece needs to be priced so people know without asking.

You can make a earring hanger by piercing holes in cardboard placing the earrings and folding the rest like an easel so they hang.

The same with pendants etc everything should hang like it would for the wearer.

A little price in the same area ( ie bottom right hand corner )

There are companies that sell stands etc very competatively priced.

Hi Minnie,

Thanks for the feedback. I think from your response that you thought I'd put the earrings on a card and laid them flat on the table? The cards I made (folded business card size), were folded and then a hole punched in the top, so the cards could be hung onto a lovely dressmaking pin (a bit like a pearl). So, yes that's exactly how I usually display my stock. I've got the competitively priced stands and find that people love to look at the earrings, but don't buy because its a lot of hassle removing the earring backs, etc etc. If its on a card, hung on a board with all the info on, I feel its a much better way of displaying it.

I just thought I'd do it differently this time and see what response I got from customers.

Off to do a bit of shopping, back later....

xx

minnie
22-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi Jules
Yes did think that, hanging on card looks great, misunderstood the picture.
Hope you sell loads.

MuranoSilver
22-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Useful info about the cards..
I display studs in the box flat and drops on earring hangers.
Glad the shows are going well for you
nic x

Petal
22-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the info about the boxes Nic. I did display my large jade necklace in the box and everyone said how lovely it was. So I think for my next show I'll be doing a combo of jewellery in boxes, cards on my display board and see how it goes. Apparently there are about 20 other traders going. =:-O

BTW, I also had requests for clip on earrings, have you guys had much demand for them as well???

kymbi
22-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Great news about your success Jules - good luck for the next show x

I regularly get asked about clip-on earrings, but not enough to warrant making separate pairs. I have a small stock of nice SP clips and show a small note with the earrings to say that most of them can be transferred onto clips if requested. 2 people asked me yesterday about clip-ons, but they were looking for button styles rather than drops. Someone also asked me about drop earrings with a stud fitting and caught me out as I didn't have any studs with me.

At my stall I normally have a small stash of findings such as leverback earwires, studs, clip-ons, headpins, splitrings, crimps, clasps and extenders - covers most eventualities for making small adjustments on the hoof.

Lisa Quinn
22-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Jules,

So glad that your events have gone well, I guess it must be because your jewellery is so good, particularly if you are getting repeat business !!:Y: I know that many people are having a dreadful time at the moment, I was at a big event today and one of the jewellery ladies there only took £2.50 !! I had a really good day, in fact my best event to date, the only downside ( in a good way ) is that two of my big statement pieces, which I use to attract attention to my stand , sold !! So I need to get stuck in this week and make something fantastic to replace them.

Good luck for your next event x

caroleallen
22-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't really think there's a right or wrong way to display jewellery and we all do what works best for us. I display some earrings hanging on perspex earring holders and some lying flat and they attract equal amounts of attention.

On the craft fair front, so far this Christmas sales have been well down on last year. I've got a 4 day show this week and I'm hoping people will start to buy pressies now. I sold something for £25 yesterday and the lady said that was the most expensive present she'll be buying this year!

mizgeorge
22-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Absolutely right Carole. I use a mixture of display techniques and I'm constantly amazed by how the things that work vary so much from event to event. I had a surprisingly good number of sales this week at a small local thing, and pretty much all of them were boxed earrings and pendants (clearly being bought as gifts) and loose 'fun' bracelets, which people were picking up for themselves. No rhyme or reason to it.

I'm glad it went well for you Jules - here's to the next one ;)

AlexandraBuckle
23-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Tight mare! LOL

I don't think that's tight at all. I personally never spend more than about £20 on anyone other than hubby.

People are starting to buy prezzies now, i sold a few pieces at the weekend at a local show that were for prezzies (yay!) Though they were quite cheap items too.

amazingbabe
23-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Tight mare! LOL

I'm glad i am not related to her ha ha !!! Your stuff is gorgeous Carol !!!! Some people think that they have to pass comments though and those are the ones that you just smile at :D

Petal
23-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Great news about your success Jules - good luck for the next show x

I regularly get asked about clip-on earrings, but not enough to warrant making separate pairs. I have a small stock of nice SP clips and show a small note with the earrings to say that most of them can be transferred onto clips if requested. 2 people asked me yesterday about clip-ons, but they were looking for button styles rather than drops. Someone also asked me about drop earrings with a stud fitting and caught me out as I didn't have any studs with me.

At my stall I normally have a small stash of findings such as leverback earwires, studs, clip-ons, headpins, splitrings, crimps, clasps and extenders - covers most eventualities for making small adjustments on the hoof.

Aw thanks for your tips and compliments guys, really useful stuff.

Kimbi, I haven't got any clip-ons, so will order some as that's the second time someone has mentioned them at an event. I like your idea of putting a sign by the earrings, saying they can be converted if required :Y: You mentioned using plated, do you offer sterling clips too then??

I took most of my earring and extender bits too (along with most of my tools). :-" Next time I think its a case of less is more. I really don't need to take ALL my tools !

It was definitely worth arriving earlier this time. I had time to see stallholders and they came and viewed my stuff & bought before the punters came in, so that was worth it. I also had a steady stream of customers coming for their jewellery during the day and I think that gives a positive impression for any new customers looking at my stand.

lesley
23-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Glad it went well, Jules. There'll be no stopping you now. :)

I made some clip earrings for myself a few months ago. They hurt to buggery! That's what finally convinced me to be pierced.

kymbi
23-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Kimbi, I haven't got any clip-ons, so will order some as that's the second time someone has mentioned them at an event. I like your idea of putting a sign by the earrings, saying they can be converted if required :Y: You mentioned using plated, do you offer sterling clips too then??

I don't offer sterling clips as routine Jules as they are expensive, but if asked I will get hold of sterling screw-ons which are a bit more comfortable, but they are £££ compared to making sterling earwires. I've recently bought some nice SP clip-ons that look like pierced earwires from feebay and will PM you with the link if I can find it - they were more expensive that the usual SP fare but look and feel much nicer. I used them for some bridesmaids recently and had some good feedback.

Your day sounds really positive and it always helps to have a steady stream of people, even if they are only browsing, to encourage others to look and to pass the time ;)

Petal
23-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Glad it went well, Jules. There'll be no stopping you now. :)

I made some clip earrings for myself a few months ago. They hurt to buggery! That's what finally convinced me to be pierced.

Oh that's funny, 'cos I started out with having my ears pierced (age 19 in Selfridges) and they went really bad and I ended using clip-ons for years. Then a friend at work suggested I had mine re-pierced and they've been fine ever since.

Clip-ons can be really painful, unless they have some thick pads at the back, but those screw-ons sound like a good idea. Yes a link would be lovely Kymbi please:)

xx