PDA

View Full Version : Forum Trolls

geti-titanium
19-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Just thought this might give you an insight into how some people behave in forums.
---------

Don't feed the trolls.

You know the ones I'm talking about. They prey on news forums, chat rooms, and other online communities. Their purpose: to disrupt any conversation or thread, and to get an emotional response from some unwary person. Ignoring them and not responding to their posts is your best option.

What kind of people are trolls? They're cowards. Lonely cowards. Their posts seldom show any real imagination and often resort to childish name-calling.

Trolls are often extremely pedantic and rarely answer direct questions. There are some exceptions, but most aren't smart enough to make a reasonable argument. They're not interested in reason. They repeat themselves and say stupid, off-focus things to disrupt conversations.

Some trolls like to brag about their IQ. They try to come across like rocket scientists to lure the unwary and then pounce with a verbal attack. Trolls count the responses they get. It must be highly pleasurable for the poor creatures to count coups if they disrupt other people's emotional equilibrium.

As mentioned in the article it is always best not to respond - another reason behind the trolls behaviour is possibly a jealous competitor trying to throw a spanner in the works and to cause disruption.

The Dragon
19-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Where the hell did that come from my lovely. Most unlike you.

:hohoho::hohoho::hohoho:

geti-titanium
19-11-2009, 04:44 PM
oooH! nowhere in particular related to a little now locked discussion I read today - it was just a thought that crossed my mind as to what might or might not be happening - there just seemed to be a pattern developing :)

EmmaRose
19-11-2009, 04:56 PM
LOL imagining hairy stompy grumpy things with long arms....but so not a high IQ LOL!
E

lesley
19-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank you!
I was thinking a do not feed policy would be best. As you can see I've changed my mind in recent weeks.
I didn't realise there were internet trolls (just checked wiki) as well as the fairytale variety - I thought you were just being rude. :xmas;_):

Gosh, that Santa wink is a bit sinster.

The Dragon
19-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Ah muchos comprehendos amigo.

:xmas;_): Yes he is a little sinister.

ooo I know, how about :snowball:

geti-titanium
19-11-2009, 05:15 PM
de nada mi amor :X

lesley
19-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Guiņo y beso - yes, I looked it up!

Did you know that ha ha ha ha ha is ha ha ha ha ha in Spanish. :xmaslaugh:
Intersting, the French, Greek and Russian for troll is troll but in German it's a rather lovely Schleppangel

The Dragon
19-11-2009, 05:50 PM
ooooOOOO look what I found

Maybe we should adopt them!

Emerald
19-11-2009, 05:59 PM
they look like some i have at home he he xx

Jayne
19-11-2009, 06:00 PM
oooH! nowhere in particular related to a little now locked discussion I read today - it was just a thought that crossed my mind as to what might or might not be happening - there just seemed to be a pattern developing :)

Ah.......and there was me thinking that you were talking personally Geti, and that this thread was some ironic experiment to see if we could resist the urge to reply to it ;) :X
J x

lorraineflee
19-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Look like some of my students (on their good days!!)
Lorraine

Lisa Quinn
19-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Just thought this might give you an insight into how some people behave in forums.
---------

Don't feed the trolls.

You know the ones I'm talking about. They prey on news forums, chat rooms, and other online communities. Their purpose: to disrupt any conversation or thread, and to get an emotional response from some unwary person. Ignoring them and not responding to their posts is your best option.

What kind of people are trolls? They're cowards. Lonely cowards. Their posts seldom show any real imagination and often resort to childish name-calling.

Trolls are often extremely pedantic and rarely answer direct questions. There are some exceptions, but most aren't smart enough to make a reasonable argument. They're not interested in reason. They repeat themselves and say stupid, off-focus things to disrupt conversations.

Some trolls like to brag about their IQ. They try to come across like rocket scientists to lure the unwary and then pounce with a verbal attack. Trolls count the responses they get. It must be highly pleasurable for the poor creatures to count coups if they disrupt other people's emotional equilibrium.

As mentioned in the article it is always best not to respond - another reason behind the trolls behaviour is possibly a jealous competitor trying to throw a spanner in the works and to cause disruption.

Well that is alternative explanation to the one that I had in my mind, but, a far more interesting and well thought out one.

Thanks Geti

SilverBlueberry
19-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Do we have trolls here? :)

Di Sandland
19-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Do we have trolls here? :)

Oh, yes, from time to time :(

Sheltie
19-11-2009, 08:11 PM
We don't have trolls up here, they are known as Trowies and are known for their music but are not always sociable

Mystic
19-11-2009, 08:54 PM
well I have read through all the replys, and to be honest, I haven't a clue what's going on.........:(| am I just being thick :'(

geti-titanium
19-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm with you Maggie, this may shed some light:

Mystic
19-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks geti:)

Emerald
20-11-2009, 08:26 AM
very funny but 'oh you are naughty' :)

bustagasket
20-11-2009, 04:04 PM
very funny but 'oh you are naughty' :)

but he likes it :P

Coco
22-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Trolls are bad for goats. Any sheep around needn't worry though....probably......

lesley
22-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Trip trap, trip trap...bang...bang...bang...bang!!!

That is going to give me nightmares!

MuranoSilver
23-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Forum rule no 4....
Treat others as you want to be treated, with particular reference to intimidating behaviour which will not be tolerated for the good of the forum.
or even no 7
No personal attacks, keep debates about opinions only...
Please bear this in mind during open posting folks.
Nic x

Hart-Star
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I was shopping yesterday, and came across this firm.

Trollbeads (http://trollbeads.com/site/trollbeads/)

Perhaps these are a more productive type of Troll, and one not to be shunned on this forum ?

lorraineflee
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I was shopping yesterday, and came across this firm.

Trollbeads (http://trollbeads.com/site/trollbeads/)

Perhaps these are a more productive type of Troll, and one not to be shunned on this forum ?

That depends whether or not you are a lampwork bead maker!!
Lorraine

Di Sandland
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Ooo err Neil, you might just live to regret this m'dear #-o