PDA

View Full Version : Revamped but have I got it right ?

Carl Martin
18-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi All
Putting my head above the waves a bit here. First and Foremost I'm not in any way shape or form a website designer but I've had a go and I've done it all from scratch. The original, obviously now superceeded by this one, went live on 3rd October 2009. This was my first website since 2001.(Long Story)

Now that I have done it can I ask for honest and constructive comments please.

To my eye - it is very much more appealing than the first attempt but if you never saw the first one your not going to know.

Thanks in Advance

Carl

geti-titanium
18-11-2009, 10:34 PM
You sure you're ready for this Carl? :)

geti-titanium
18-11-2009, 10:48 PM
The first thing that strikes me is the dark colours. The reason that the majority of websites use light themes is because they are easier on the eye.
Black text on a white background is the best combination for readability - white text on a black background is the next best, but combining too many text colours is not a good idea. (Especially the gawdy red and blue text - very harsh on my eyes)

In the eight seconds that you need to capture your visitors, you may find that the colours may force them off your site even before the page has loaded.

geti-titanium
18-11-2009, 10:51 PM
2. Carl Martin Jewellery - ok, but where is it all? All the text is good for search engines but people will want to see what you make as well.

caroleallen
18-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry Carl but I think Geti's right. I find those bright colours hurt my eyes and don't make me very inclined to linger.

Mystic
18-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry too Carl, but I found the purple very hard on the eyes, and there was quite alot of information to plough through, and I think that many people would find it a bit too much. I know that you probably spent alot of time and energy on this, but you did ask for opinions.( I hope that didn't sound too harsh[-o<)
On the other hand I asked my OH and he said that it has done it's job, coz I asked his opinion about it and got us talking about it. Hope I don't sound too confused.

lesley
18-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Ouch, I have to agree with the comments already made. Don't those colours make your eyes hurt?

Also, I was looking at your site the other day, before the changes, and I did notice a distinct lack of jewellery. I wanted to see what you made and there was nothing there.

Hope that's not too depressing 'cos you've obviously put a lot of effort into it.........and I couldn't do it. :)

Jayne
18-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Hello Carl :)
Just took a look at your site.
I can see what Geti & Carole mean about the colours etc. - they do jar a bit - and a few more photos of your work would be nice.
The overriding sentiment that I do have about the site is that it's really ......not sure how to put this......'blokey'.....
I was clicking through the links and just got this Barry White voiceover in my head 'hey, baby......we really got it together......come on over and watch my rotating diamond..........oh, yeah.....'
ahem.
On the plus side; loads of info, clean & clear, everything works & functions well:Y:
J x

Carl Martin
18-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Tell ya what I like you lot on here more and more.......... I actually agree with you in all respects I'll have another go tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

In defense (explanation really) I don't have many pictures because of issues over copyright of my designs nearly 8 yrs ago. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth and up until october this year and had no web presence at all from 2001 til now..

thank you all so much (mean that not in a sarcastic manner )

Carl Martin
19-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Some sort of gallery of work would definitely be beneficial. :Y:

Jason you are right as are the rest of you..

As it was already "tomorrow" when i read your replies having spent the best part of 9 hours on it, it's now definately today ...0326 eeeek ..hahahha

I have redone the colours and added pics as the last thing I want to do is put people off.

Gallery will be next on the agenda..... no where was that box brownie.

If you can have a look a the revamped mark II I'd be obliged.

Di Sandland
19-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi Carl

I wasn't around to comment on your earlier version - went to bed early. Now I'm paying for it at 04 something or other. But, for what its worth, here are my thoughts:

Like some of the others, I logged onto your 'longstanding' site earlier in the week and was disappointed - there was no passion there, despite the fact that you are obviously passionate about what you do. The fact that you've made a move to change at all is A Good Thing ;)
I like the look of this version - the black on white is clean and the pictures invite me to stay and take a look
If you had the pics linked deeper into your site, you would improve the SEO but that's a secondary consideration at this time of the morning
I think you need to rethink(!) your font/headings so that they are more consistent throughout the site.
Umm - some grammar issues too, although only a couple

:X

mizgeorge
19-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I didn't have a chance to post last night, but very much agreed with the concensus.

However, this morning's version is a huge improvement - I wouldn't have believed it was the same site. Much, much more pleasant to read, some pictures which instantly grab my attention, and far better layout.

Like Di, I'd say there are some typographic issues - in particular the use of capitals on the front page, and too many emboldened areas - you don't need to shout now - we're reading quite happily! There should be just one font (the sans face on the front page is the better choice imo).

I noticed that I'm getting a flash of black as each page loads, which suggests that the base template still has a black background too.

Overall - well done - it's brave to come and ask us for opinions, as we're always going to be honest, but you've taken it all on board and I think the results are so well worth it.

You've been bookmarked now ;)

caroleallen
19-11-2009, 07:30 AM
OMG what a difference! I haven't had a chance to read through it but the immediate impression is sooooooo much better. Can't believe you did that so quickly.

Jayne
19-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Woo! Carl! What a difference!
Completely different feel to the site now - likey lotty :Y:
J x
(Meant to mention it before, I really love that wraparound leaf ring)

Emerald
19-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Carl i have looked at your site before but i just looked today and it looks so much better, its just the home page still looks a bit of a mish mash can you align the text perhaps in boxes and remove some of the lines that start and end in the middle of the page but dont connect with the next one. The events pages etc look really clean.

(sorry thats my fourpennys worth and i cant realy talk cos i need to do loads on mine lol)

lesley
19-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow, that makes such a difference! It's now much more pleasant to read.
I adore the pendant on the home page - very chic. :Y:

Fi Wilson
19-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi, just a thought but you might want to rethink the use of underlining items to make them stand out. Underlines are usually links and I've been to a number of places on your pages where I thought they were links but they weren't. This is just one fad of mine but might be something to think about.

Fi

Carl Martin
19-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Again , thank you all very much for your input I'm still tweaking as I go but as I say I'm restricted in my knowledge of web design and the knowledge to actually get it on the site.

Jasson :- I will be putting up a gallery soon but I need to do some work with photoshop or buy a new camera before I start that as I have always believed that a crap photo is worse than no photo at all.

EmmaRose
19-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I like the over all feel, pic wise would be great to see some of your commission work (and some sketches- scan them in while waiting for that camera). Pic of studio (and you or students at work!), pics of what some of your students have made/ your sample pieces would be great too! :) just some ideas for when you get that camera. I get the feel from the site more about the courses than commissions...is that your intention??
good luck, great work
Em

Lindyloo
19-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow. What a difference. I don't know anything about making web pages, which is why I didn't comment before. But it looks great now. Like a completely different and more professional looking site. But as a great internet shopper and user of many web pages, I just wanted to say that I don't really like having to scroll down long pages. Does all that info on courses etc need to be on the home page? Or is that something to do with getting more hits? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

geti-titanium
19-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Job well done Carl, complete transformation. I was a little concerned about having a second look tonight as my migraine has only just subsided, but I needn't have worried! :)

And I was going to point out that the layout was a bit erratic as well but you thwarted me on that score also by tidying it up, well done, you can sleep tonight. :)

Mila Jewellery
19-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow Carl that looks really good. I saw the other site quickly last night and I did think there were too many colours going on! This, however looks amazing and I love all the photos, you have some lovely jewellery - you've got to show it off!

Gemma
19-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Didn't see your first redo but like the second redo :)

Black text on a white background is the best combination for readability ...

Black on white is not great for dyslexics though...the contrast is too sharp and the letters can move about apparently.

Carl Martin
19-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I like the over all feel, pic wise would be great to see some of your commission work (and some sketches- scan them in while waiting for that camera). Pic of studio (and you or students at work!), pics of what some of your students have made/ your sample pieces would be great too! :) just some ideas for when you get that camera. I get the feel from the site more about the courses than commissions...is that your intention??
good luck, great work
Em

Emma , it wasn't when I went on this full time pilgramage but in 6 months it's taken over and to be honest I am absolutely loving it, I'm now teaching at least 3 days out of every week and have an open studio and social gathering of jewellers, silversmiths and lampworkers every two weeks.

When I'm not teaching I'm organising supplies and trying to create a new range. Then I'm averaging 2 to 3 commissions a week some only small but never the less its all work to pay the bills.

Carl Martin
19-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Got to say a big thank you to all you lovelly members for helping me with my site. I'm now pretty pleased with the overall look. A gallery will come but I'm trying to find a friendly photographer who can do it for me as I've got enough to do without trying to get my teeth into photography aswell.

Thanks once again. :ta:

Mystic
19-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi Carl, much much better, I like very much and quite classy too..........who's a clever old stick:Y:

Ominicci
20-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Just come in on this, but I did see the old one (black!) and hated it.

This is now brilliant! My only comment is not liking to have to scroll down the long first page like Linda says. But that is my bugbear and it is not a huge one!

Hart-Star
21-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Got to say a big thank you to all you lovelly members for helping me with my site. I'm now pretty pleased with the overall look. A gallery will come but I'm trying to find a friendly photographer who can do it for me as I've got enough to do without trying to get my teeth into photography aswell.

Thanks once again. :ta:

Sad git stuff this:

I like the revamped site, but the typos remain- it can make a good site look very sloppy

You might like to look at a few Bookmarks on pages - i.e. Click here to get back to the top of the page/ as some of the pages scroll down a long way

You could also have a go at attaching documents - e.g a pdf copy of your course calendar

If you have photos it is nice to have "mouseover" comments to describe each one

For your contact us page you can easily get the code to embed a map refence from Multimap / Google maps
You can also get the code to embed the Paypal functionality quite easily.

If you have such a personable approach - why not include a mugshot - or a shot of you in a class or at the bench ?

Lastly , if you want to look up on Wikepedia on how to do it, a Favicon is a nice finishing touch to any website.

AlexandraBuckle
21-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I've come to this thread very late and i had trouble working out what site you were talking about because the descriptions didn't match the site in your signature! lol!

I didn't see the old versions, but it seems to be looking good now :)

Carl Martin
21-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Final edit tonight. Hopefully all the typo's are now rectified. Text has been reduced, pages reduced. Pictures of workshop , students working and past and present work will be added over the next few days.

mizgeorge
21-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Carl, I am SO impressed with what you've achieved there! It's looking pretty classy now, and so much more user friendly.

Big thumbs up :)

Di Sandland
21-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Carl your site is totally unrecognisable from its original incarnation. Its brilliant - not only attractive but 'sticky' as well. :Y::Y::Y:

Carl Martin
22-11-2009, 12:14 AM
When I started out to revamp it I never realised how much was actually wrong with it in the first place. It has probably eaten up about 25 hours of my time this week but by the comments now being received it was time well spent.

lesley
22-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Oh, my goodness, I absolutely love it now! - elegant, attractive, easy to navigate and did I say elegant. :Y:
Green is very relaxing isn't it so it puts you at your ease and makes you want to look around.

You must be very good natured to put up with all the criticism but it was definitely worth it.

geti-titanium
22-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I've changed my mind - can you make it black again! :dance:

Carl Martin
22-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh, my goodness, I absolutely love it now! - elegant, attractive, easy to navigate and did I say elegant. :Y:
Green is very relaxing isn't it so it puts you at your ease and makes you want to look around.

You must be very good natured to put up with all the criticism but it was definitely worth it.

Yes I think I must be :ta:

Geti - Your response made me almost smile then. :(|

Lindyloo
22-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Great Carl, you've made the page shorter. That's definitely an improvement. Only one more comment, sorry. But why not have that lovely row of pictures appear as soon as the page opens, rather than having to scroll down to see it (or is that my laptop?). Could you switch it for the ring photo?

Ominicci
23-11-2009, 01:05 PM
OMG how soooooo much better than the original - what a fantastic job you made!!!

And to make it even more perfect (and because you did ask...ages ago at the beginning...and because they seem to jump out at me for some reason :o) you just need to check the text again; there are some missing spaces after a lot of the fullstops and commas.

Petal
23-11-2009, 02:16 PM
OMG how soooooo much better than the original - what a fantastic job you made!!!

And to make it even more perfect (and because you did ask...ages ago at the beginning...and because they seem to jump out at me for some reason :o) you just need to check the text again; there are some missing spaces after a lot of the fullstops and commas.

Great improvements Carl. Much better.

Ahh, like Nicci, I spotted those too, plus the missing commas earlier on. I think its a payback from all those years and years of being a PA and having learnt how to type on a manual typewriter. :-D We were always taught we MUST have two spaces after a full stop!

oh gawd - showing my age there ! Bloody hell, I sound like Sheila Hancock on Grumpy Old Women ... I'll get my coat.

Di Sandland
23-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Great improvements Carl. Much better.

Ahh, like Nicci, I spotted those too, plus the missing commas earlier on. I think its a payback from all those years and years of being a PA and having learnt how to type on a manual typewriter. :-D We were always taught we MUST have two spaces after a full stop!

oh gawd - showing my age there ! OMG, I sound like Sheila Hancock !...

LOL - likewise. Nowadays I get moaned at by some of my clients for those same two spaces - apparently in the world of ww the extra space is surplus to requirements.

Did you use to type to music too? I can still hear her voice - come along girls asdf :lkj rhythm my dear rhythm

kymbi
23-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh god, Jules and Di, you have just resurrected a long buried memory of Mr Morgan and his "typing with office practice" CSE class - it was all going fine until the asdf comment.

The class was fine, but Mr Morgan gave my mother ammunition to nag me by a now famous comment on my school report of "Kym talks as though her life depends upon it." I'll give him his due, it was quite accurate :-"

Petal
23-11-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL - likewise. Nowadays I get moaned at by some of my clients for those same two spaces - apparently in the world of ww the extra space is surplus to requirements.

Did you use to type to music too? I can still hear her voice - come along girls asdf :lkj rhythm my dear rhythm

Yes I did.. oh you did make me laugh when I read your post Di.

I learnt to type on a ... what was it... a two tone grey manual, an Addler I think (did you know that Manual typewriters are in the Science Museum =:-O ) and when I left school I was told I would 'never be a good typist'. When I left college one year later I was top of the class with a certificate for 62wpm - on a manual. When I saw my first PC, a Wang, I said 'oh these will never catch on'.....

I think I'll get my coat.... oh christ, I've started repeating myself as well!

lorraineflee
23-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I cut stencils on a Gestetner too - remember those anyone?

Lorraine

snow_imp
23-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Hm, I was lucky enough to learn to type on the first 'electric' typewriters the school had - then they brought in machines with a correction strip built-in !!!!

Di Sandland
23-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I cut stencils on a Gestetner too - remember those anyone?

Lorraine

Oh yes - got sacked because I ran off 500 copies without checking my typing and there was a mistake! Too correct it you had to paint pink wax over the error and retype.

I also left a job because they wouldn't buy me a golf ball typewriter. All the best girls had one

caroleallen
23-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I remember those manuals as well. What a clatter when everyone was typing at once. And we learned to music too. And I remember those Gestetner machines. How I hated using that pink stuff. We really are showing our age now, it's no use me pretending any more, the cat's out of the bag!

Petal
23-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh yes - got sacked because I ran off 500 copies without checking my typing and there was a mistake! Too correct it you had to paint pink wax over the error and retype.

I also left a job because they wouldn't buy me a golf ball typewriter. All the best girls had one

OOOH, the IBM Golfball typewriters were THE BEST!

Oh this really IS memory lane in the typing world! ha ha I left one of my jobs because they weren't paying the going rate for typists that could use PC's (Wang's) and in the city the salaries were double what you could get in the West End! Cor. My first job was in a solicitors office, opposite what is now the Nat West Tower in the City (I saw it being built!) and I was taught how to remove typos with a scalpel =:-O I used to type wills and codicils on thick parchment paper, hence the use of a scalpel. My OH just popped in to see what I was laughing about and he said, laughing, 'I bet you're on the forum - what ARE you reading now!'... haha bless him , he's a sweetie. Its laughter and tears today, isn't it! oh and I remember leaving a temp job by lunchtime on the first day once, right in the red light district, 'cos I didn't like the typewriter, or the boss! ha ha

Yes, you're right Carole, the cat really is out of the bag now. We've all been rumbled!

Sorry Carl, I seem to have hijacked your thread - it wasn't deliberate, honest!

caroleallen
23-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you remember those massive Zerox photocopiers where you had to put the original document through the machine? I put an original will in once and singed it quite spectacularly!

lorraineflee
23-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I had a xerox word processor too - amazed the Finance Director when I programmed it to analyse the quarterly report! Happy days! You tell the kids today and they won't believe you!
(Coat's on - I'm off!!!)
Lorraine

Petal
23-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Nooooooooooooooo stop it!!!!! I know I started the 'do you remember bit', I think I'll have to start a 'memory lane' thread, cos we mustn't highjack Carl's thread anymore.

smack smack smack

Carl Martin
23-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Nooooooooooooooo stop it!!!!! I know I started the 'do you remember bit', I think I'll have to start a 'memory lane' thread, cos we mustn't highjack Carl's thread anymore.

smack smack smack

Nope you've done it now, no good trying to appologise.