PDA

View Full Version : How to package for assay office???

Rustic Charm
18-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi, i'm just about ready to send my first package off to the assay office and was wondering how's the best way to pack up my bits for posting so it doesn't all get tangled up! if you wrap each piece separately in tissue you get charged extra handling so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanx

caroleallen
18-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I've never been charged extra for handling. I just wrap everything in bubblewrap and put it in a sturdy cardboard box.

Solunar Silver Studio
18-11-2009, 06:29 PM
For Edinburgh I was told to roll everything into a long strip of bubble wrap and secure it with masking tape - not sellotape - with your account number written on the masking tape. So that is what I do, laying each chain out across the bubble wrap about 1 bubble away from the next and then I put pendants and rings and larger flat stuff at the end where the roll becomes thicker and flatter. I secure the roll, wrap it in another piece of bubble wrap and put it all in a padded envelope. It never comes back quite so neatly arranged though!!

lorraineflee
18-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I've got some items ready to go to Birmingham for the first time, I think I'll phone them tomorrow and ask advice!
Lorraine

caroleallen
18-11-2009, 07:00 PM
For Birmingham everything comes back in it's original piece of bubblewrap with an orange label attached.

minnie
18-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi

Basically whatever you use to package it is returned in the same material.So if it is tissue , bubble etc they return it in it. Not always neatly though.London tend to just bundle it in.

I advise you to check each piece that it is hallmarked( I recently had hallmarking tags on delicate chains and one was missed)

Consider where you might want to have your work marked and indicate in the instructions box.You can also mark the work with a sticky label with a cross on and they will hallmark in that spot.

Be aware that silver under about .8mm the mark could come through.

Don't forget you have some control where on the piece it is hallmarked.

Lastly be proud you are the bearer of a quality symbol that says you are the maker of individual pieces.

Rustic Charm
18-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanx everyone i think i'll get some bubble wrap tomorrow and go from there. Think i've got everything else sorted now (thanx Nic) so will be posting my first lot off very very soon!! x x