PDA

View Full Version : Rings

Vivia
17-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Hello all,:~:

Today, I mainly have two ring-related questions!

Firstly I wondered whether people tend to make their rings out of sheet metal, or out of reversed D wire, or other?

Secondly (but it's related), as a beginner I tried my first ring a few weeks ago and made it out of copper sheet. However the bit I found quite awkward was getting rid of the square (sharpish) edges so it was comfortable to wear, but so that all the edges were equally curved. . . Which then led to a lot of sanding and filing to equal them all out. . . Which led to a ring that ended up being half the thickness it started out as. #-o I know the latter is due to my novice-ness, but I wondered if there was a 'usual' way to combat the problem (or avoid it in the first place) that perhaps I'm missing?

I'd be grateful for any advice/thoughts from you clever people...

Vivia x

caroleallen
17-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe the sheet metal was too thin, that's usually the cause of sharp edges.

Lindyloo
17-11-2009, 09:23 PM
It's easier to make a ring from wire, if it comes in the size you want. That way, you don't have to worry about getting the edges perfectly straight.

Tigerlily
17-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Good question Vivia, I did wonder that too!!

Thanks for that JJ, was very helpful, will print that off and add to my file :Y: No doubt will ask you more when I get to that stage :xmaslaugh: xx

Emerald
17-11-2009, 09:49 PM
the last ring i made and the first in a long time lol the storming ring, i made with 1mm sheet i wouldent make a shank any less than that for a ring and during the process of polishing it the edges became smoother

Tigerlily
17-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Vivia, sorry for hijacking your post again ... but JJ can I ask where's best to buy a rawhide mallet, and how do you know the quality - or is that just me asking a daft question??? :"> xx

MuranoSilver
18-11-2009, 08:20 AM
When I make rings in wire I push the edges past each other like a jump ring
then pull them back so they tension against each other. Makes for a tight join for soldering.
For thinner wire e.g. 2mm stacker rings I often solder the ring in a D shape.
With the join area flat it's often easier to get them lined up.
nic x

Tigerlily
18-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Thor ones are very good and great value too.

Thanks JJ, I have had a look and they come in different sizes ... what size would you recommend?? :ta: xx

Tigerlily
18-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Start with a size 2 Michelle.:Y:

Fab thank you!!![] xx

Vivia
18-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Thank you ever so much everybody for all the tips and advice. It's left me itching to make another ring IMMEDIATELY.

JJ, when you say to put both unsoldered edges together and to saw the join, do you mean overlapping them a bit and then sawing them both, or to line them up as you would normally to solder them, then piercing them whilst holding them together to ensure a straight join line?

On the subject of rounding the ring, I wonder if my wooden mandrel isn't quite up to the job, it seemed very easy to dent (even with protection- condoms don't work I've discovered, I recommend some sort of cloth) ...a metal one would presumably be a better buy, or is it could just my use of the wooden one!

Vivia
18-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Fantastic, thanks very much JJ!