PDA

View Full Version : First coil necklace - opinions please

Petal
17-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Here's a design I copied from the Linda Jones book (and slightly modified), with my first coils made using a screwdriver attachment ! and I have wire wrapped the rest. BTW, I forgot to centre the necklace in the first pic, but in the 2nd, its been 'sorted'!

Having spent quite a while on this, I now think the bugle bead part is a bit too long, but I'd like your honest opinions please, as usual.

thanks
x

bustagasket
17-11-2009, 03:01 PM
I think thats rather funky, i cant comment on whether the bugle bead is too big, cos i dont actually know what one is lol *blushes*

Di Sandland
17-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Okay - I think the wrapping/coil is superb. I think the bugles are too long tho.

Ominicci
17-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow that's different, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Looks very Christmassy! The only problem I have found with doing 'longer' dangles is that they bend easier in the middle and so can sometimes snap off, but as you have actually got the bugle beads in the middle part of the dangles then you are probably OK with this.

(SU Bugle beads are the long tube like beads.)

Petal
17-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys, you're absolutely right, the bugles are too long and I should have stuck with just one bugle, rather than two. I should also have tightened the whole thing a bit more before wrapping on the big clear bead. I thought the same thing, Nicci, about the Chrismassy look, that's why I thought I'd do some and see how they went on Saturday (my next fair). Getting a bit tight on time tho. so I'd better get cracking!

Thanks a lot for the honest feedback guys []

BTW, for anyone who wants to know how to do it, you just thread some wirewrapped beads on a piece of wire and then thread though a coil - easy peasy!

xxx

Jayne
17-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Now, here's a coincidence - I did my first jewellery making course with Linda Jones! (She is very lovely :))
I think that the necklace as is looks a bit unbalanced. It could be that the bugles are too long, or that the ribbon that it's hanging on isn't long enough. Statement necklaces are huge this season so I think it's worth twiddling with to get right - I would try hanging it longer so that it sits somewhere between mid-cleavage & mid-torso and see how it looks on :)
J x

Gemma
17-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I like it as a decoration but would agree that the bugles are too long for a necklace

lesley
17-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Structurally, the bugles might be too long but I kinda like it.
Different is good in my book. :Y:

Lisa Quinn
17-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Structurally, the bugles might be too long but I kinda like it.
Different is good in my book. :Y:

I also favour big, bold and unusual xx Is it comfortable to wear ?

The Dragon
17-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Me likee very muchee.

It's very unusual and yes the bugles do look at little long in the photo, but as a one off designer piece it's fab. :xmas;_):

Petal
18-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Now, here's a coincidence - I did my first jewellery making course with Linda Jones! (She is very lovely :))
I think that the necklace as is looks a bit unbalanced. It could be that the bugles are too long, or that the ribbon that it's hanging on isn't long enough. Statement necklaces are huge this season so I think it's worth twiddling with to get right - I would try hanging it longer so that it sits somewhere between mid-cleavage & mid-torso and see how it looks on :)
J x

Hi Jane,
How amazing that you did your first course with Linda Jones, was that in your neck of the woods, or elsewhere?

Yes, I agree with your comment about it being a bit unlanaced. Its actually much longer than it looks in the pic, at 31 inches long! I just placed it on a neck to photograph it. It has quite a loose feeling to it, so that when its on, the bugles and other beads do move very slightly, rather than being stiff. I made it in plated, as I wanted to see how it would feel, but the ones to sell will be in sterling.

This is the photo of a flower that inspired me to make it in that shape.

A bit more work needed on this one :D

xx

MuranoSilver
18-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Quite like the long bugles makes it look like a firework,
hmmm the "Sputnick" range perhaps ;)
Nic xx:Y:

Jayne
18-11-2009, 09:13 AM
How amazing that you did your first course with Linda Jones, was that in your neck of the woods, or elsewhere?

It was about 10 years ago in Sevenoaks. My youngest had just started pre-school and in a desperate bid for freedom I stuck a pin in the adult ed prospectus and found myself on Linda's course! I'm really glad that I did her course before doing silversmithing classes as there are so many little hints & tips that I learnt from her and best of all she is infectiously enthusiastic!!

Its actually much longer than it looks in the pic, at 31 inches long! I just placed it on a neck to photograph it.

Can we see a photo of it on you? (don't go to any trouble.....just nip down to the local photographer.....;))

How lovely! So creative :)

J x

Petal
18-11-2009, 09:50 AM
It was about 10 years ago in Sevenoaks. My youngest had just started pre-school and in a desperate bid for freedom I stuck a pin in the adult ed prospectus and found myself on Linda's course! I'm really glad that I did her course before doing silversmithing classes as there are so many little hints & tips that I learnt from her and best of all she is infectiously enthusiastic!!

Can we see a photo of it on you? (don't go to any trouble.....just nip down to the local photographer.....;))

How lovely! So creative :)

J x

Ah, the times I have thought of making a bid for freedom and signing up on a weekly course! That would be bliss! I'd love to escape for days - weeks even! Its a gorgeous flower isn't it! Ahh, I don't do piccies of myself on the internet, 'cos I hate having my pic taken :-" Nice try tho :-D

xx

Gerry Kaspers
19-11-2009, 08:55 PM
love the colours and the look of the beaded part - agree with the reply that you could try it on a longer ribbon/strand or maybe even try it shorter?

The design is a good one - have a go with shorter bugles too.

XX Gerry