PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking advice

Mila Jewellery
16-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Righty ho, I'd like to get my pieces hallmarked, so i've had a look at the assay office websites etc on how to get set up - seems easy enough, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or things to be aware of that isn't in all their blurb or if one office is better than another etc etc. Money is really tight at the moment so I want to spend it wisely! x

Solunar Silver Studio
16-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I think they are all very much the same...although the Edinburgh one was slightly cheaper when I registered at the end of last year. I think it was the punch that was a bit cheaper than the others - but it was only by a few pounds. The Edinburgh one also claims to be 'the experts' in stamping PMC - but whether that is strictly true or not I can't say. I have been very happy with what they have done so far - and they are really helpful on the phone...but I expect the others are equally so! So really I think it is a case of 'You pays yer money and takes yer choice'!!

Not a lot of help - am I??:D

This old thread thread was very useful...http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellery-making/294-assaying.html#post3452

snow_imp
16-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I've just registered with the Edinburgh office, over the phone they were really helpful with what I wanted (which is chain maille stamping - really small punch size was best they said, I suspect it will be really tiny, but at least it'll be legal) and then when they sent the forms they marked which shapes were available for my initials which was helpful.

But all the offices may be as good, I didn't try any of the others as I wanted the Edinburgh castle mark on my work.

ben b
16-11-2009, 06:36 PM
ive sent you a PM with advice

Hart-Star
18-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Birmingham have been friendly to me so far. It was a bit of a pain to have to shell out to register my own Sonsors mark, and pay for a punch, when I already had a nice punch of my own (Graphic rather than Initials)

However those are the rules, and if I want to make bigger pieces, there is no choice.

The only thing which is missing from every Assay office is advice on scaling the size of the total hallmark - punch + Fineness + Assay Office (+ option of Lion + date ) to the various sizes of jewellery. It would be nice to see some scaled examples on their websites.

If you're making Rings, Pendants, Bracelets and solid ware you could end up paying for a lot of differnt sized Sponsors punches

Mila Jewellery
18-11-2009, 04:17 PM
:ta: Thanks guys