PDA

View Full Version : What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

Solunar Silver Studio
22-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know about you - but a major part of my work area is taken up by my reference book shelf. It is often hard to decide if an online book is going to be worth buying and we don't all have the opportunity of physically looking inside a book we fancy before we buy on line.

What books do you have on your bookshelf?
If you see something you fancy on someone else's list perhaps they could give you a rundown of what is in it and whether they would recommend it and why...
Is this idea worth a go?????

Here is my bookshelf:-
Jewelry Fundamentals of Metalsmithing. Mc Creight
Working with Precious Metal Clay. Mc Creight
Hot and Cold Connections. Mc Creight
Silver Wire Fusing Jones
The Art of Metal Clay. Haab
Creative Metal Clay Jewelry. Wire
Precious Metal Clay in Mixed Media. Devos
Metal Clay - Beyond the Basics. Babineau
Metal Clay for Beaders. Miech
Making Silver Chains. Waszek
Woven Wire Jewelry. Chandler and Ritchey
Making Wire Jewelry. Clegg and Larom
Classical Loop-in-Loop Chains. Stark and Smith
The Art of Enameling. Darty
Beaded Chain Mail Jewelry. Whyte

AlexandraBuckle
22-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I have:

The Complete Metalsmith - Tim Mccreight
Jewellery Design Sourcebook - David Watkins
Teach Yourself Jewellery Making - Emma gale and Ann Little
Handbook of Jewellery Techniques - Carles Codina

And my fav:
Tiaras A History of Splendour, that I like to ooh and ahh at.

The Bijou Dragon
22-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually... which is strange for me as I am a book fetishist... not alot.

I think the only jewellery related book is a wire wrapping one. I tend to use the internet to find my tutorials and how-to's as I have a learning disability (which we are working on finding out what it is, could be dyslexia of some kind) and I simply cannot learn from books, I have to see whatever it is being done before I understand it.

I do however have lot of books on my wishlist... but then I always do :D

MuranoSilver
22-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Oh goodness - it seems that my book habit and a LOT of gifts over the years has left me an impressive selection! :D

Silver Clay, Bronze Clay, Copper Clay Faux Bone:
Art Clay Silver Advanced Book x 2
Art Clay Silver part 3 (Japanese Subtitled in English)
Amulets and Talismans Book by Robert Dancik
Enamelling on Metal Clay - Pam East
Keum-Boo on Silver - Celie Fargo
Metal Clay Beads - Barbara Becker Simon
Making Pure Silver Accessories, Art Clay Silver Arrangement Book
Magical Metal Clay Jewellery - Sue Heaser
Metal Clay and Mixed Media Jewelry - Sherri Haab
Metal Clay Rings: Silver Jewelry Inspired by Nature - Irina Miech
Metal Clay The Complete Guide - Jackie Truty
Metal Clay Workshop (DVD) Hadar Jacobsen
Metal Clay Workshop (DVD) Mardel Rein
Mixed Metal Jewelry from Metal Clay - Hadar Jacobson
Natural Gemstones in Metal Clay - Deric Metzger
Perfectly Paired Designing Jewellery with Polymer and Metal Clays - Patricia Kimle
Precious Metal Clay Techniques -Edited by Tim McCreight
PMC Technic - Edited by Tim McCreight
PMC Decade - Tim McCreight
Pure Silver Metal Clay Beads - Linda Kaye Moses
Setting Gemstones into metal Clay - Lorrene Baum-Davis
Silver Clay Keepsakes - Baum & Hendricks
Structural Metal Clay - Kate McKinnon
Setting Stones in Metal Clay - Jeanette Landenwitch
Silver and Bronze Clay Movement and Mechanisms - Hadar Jacobson
The Little Book of Water Etching and Enamelling for Metal Clay - Catherine Davies Paetz
Tips & Techniques Makins Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder - Judi Weers
The Handbook of Metal Clay, Textures and Forms - Hadar Jacobson

Enamelling, Glass & Resin
Art of Enamelling - Margarete Seeler
The Art of Enamelling - Linda Darty
The Art of Fine Enamelling - Karen L Cohen
First Steps in Enamelling - Jinks McGrath
Beginner's Guide to Enamelling - Dorothy Cockrell
Experimental Techniques in Enamelling - Fred Ball
Metalwork and Enamelling - Cyril Pearce
Printmaking with photopolymer Plates - Dianne Longley
Contemporary Warm Glass - Walker
Dichroics Art Glass All Dressed Up - Jackie Paciello Truty
Art of Jewellery, Plastic & Resin - Debra Adelson
Create your Own Resin Jewellery - Kerry Wilkinson
Resin Jewellery - Kathie Murphy

Polymer Clay:
The Art & Craft of Polymer Clay - Sue Heaser
Fairies Gnomes & Trolls (polymer clay) - Maureen Carlson
Welcome to the Jungle (polymer clay) - Christi Friesen
Cats big and small (polymer clay) - Christi Friesen
Polymer Clay Color Inspirations - Lindly Haunani, Maggie Maggio

Other:
Jewelry Concepts and Technology - Oppi Untracht
The Jewelers Bench Reference - Harold O'Connor
The Flexible Shaft Machine Jewelry Techniques - Harold O'Conner
Making the Most of your Flex-shaft - Karen Christians
Two in One Manuals Jewellery - Madeline Coles
Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet: Making Designer Metal Jewelry - Mary Hettmansperger
Fabulous Jewelry from Found Objects: Creative Projects, Simple Techniques - Marthe Le Van
Jewellery Making A Complete Course for Beginners - Jinks McGrath
The Jewellers Directory of Decorative Finishes - Jinks McGrath
Hot and Cold Connections - TimMcCreight
The Metalsmiths Book of Boxes and Lockets
Jewellery Making Manual - Sylvia Wicks
Handcrafting Chain & Bead Jewellery Scott David Plumlee
Chain Mail Jewelry, Contemporary Designs from Classic Techniques - Terry Taylor & Dylon Whyte
Classical Loop-inLoop Chains - Stark & Smith
Modelling in Wax for Jewellery & Sculpture - Lawrence Kallenberg
The Rings Book - Jinks McGrath
Practical Goldsmith - Mountings Settings
The Art of Making Jewellery - Krupenia Powley Wrobel
Quick and Easy Beadwork - Bellingham, Glover & Heweitt
Designing with Wire (project book 3) - Brennan & Helwig
Simple Soldered Jewelry and Accessories - Lisa Bluhm

Design Inspiration & Eye Candy:
Design Language - Tim McCreight
Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give your Creative Spirit Wings - Kelly Rae
The Art of Jewellery Design: From Idea to Reality - Elizabeth Olver
Spratling Silver Centenial Edition - Cederwall & Riney
PMC Guild Annual #1
PMC Guild Annual #2
PMC Guild Annual #3
The Styles of Ornament - Speltz
500 Pendants & Lockets - A Lark Jewellery Book
500 Wedding Rings - A Lark Jewellery Book
1000 Rings - A Lark Jewellery Book
500 Enameled Objects - A Lark Jewellery Book
Jewellery the Zine - Catherine Witherell & Deryn Mentock

On top of all that I wont even go into how many magazines, clippings & inspiration books I have :rolleyes:
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Nic...Can I move in to yours??? What bliss to have such a wonderful reference library!...no wonder you are a fount of knowledge! You must have been typing for ages to log all that lot - sorry! I hope you are willing to give us all feedback on the contents!...:o
The two that immediately catch my eye are:-
the Enamelling on Metql Clay one by Pam East...I have read mixed reviews on this one - I have done basic enamelling and I have done some on pmc. Is it likely that I will learn anything new from this book? Are there any different processes used with pmc that I should know about? My funds are very limited so I don't really want a book that repeats everything found in other books - I have the Linda Darty one already.

Modelling in Wax for Jewellery & Sculpture - Lawrence Kallenberg. The majority of the units I did for my HND 3 D Design ended up with me doing something with clay and I love sculpting. I have always fancied modelling in wax... Would this book take me through all the stages to casting a finished article? The HND I did was geared to heavier 3D work in wood, metal and ceramics so practically all my silver/jewellery knowledge has come from books! Would this one teach me?

I'm sure I will be back for another look - but that will do for now!!:D
Barbara

MuranoSilver
23-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Yep ages typing all that and I'm not sure that some aren't lurking under the bed...
Maybe we should have a swap shop on here
(I'm sure there are a few bead books that I own that are no longer my field of interest)

Modelling in Wax for Jewellery & Sculpture - Lawrence Kallenberg.
This is a very detailed book with mainly line drawing style pictures. Reams and reams of explanatory text much of it technical.
There are lots of projects explained in detail to learn individual techniques
and he also covers the different types of wax and tools, shortcuts etc.
The simple answer is yes this is a very, very comprehensive book if you want to model in wax. The only problem is I'm not sure if it's still in print so you might have to get a second hand copy (most of the pages are loose in mine as it's 28 years old, lol)
The ISBN is 0-8019-6896-8

Enamelling on Metal Clay - Pam East
Oh my this is a difficult one as I'd normally suggest that Pam's book is the absolute best book to get if you're a Metal Clay Artist and are starting out in Enamelling. It looks like you're not "starting out" though and Linda Dartys book does cover most of what's in Pam's book.
The main difference is all of Pams projects relate to metal clay and fine silver
she even shares which enamel colours have worked for her and which aren't so good....
Everythings geared just for us -but (arrgh I hate to say this) it's probably best on the "Christmas List" if you've got another comprehensive book already.

Nic x

wendy
23-07-2009, 08:01 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3ceuamz_UjM/SNldpYee9SI/AAAAAAAAAX4/3--k4h7Kooo/s800/_MG_7086.jpg

There's a snippit - been buying lots of the Lark books recently, and dull books about Jewellery and Arts education!

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 08:40 AM
What a good idea Nic - A Swap Shop!!!!

Thanks for the info on the books... Most of what I possess is second hand:o - so getting books second hand is no problem...finding one 28 years old might be though! I'll keep a look out as it sounds interesting.

That is rather what I suspected with the enameling book...It would be interesting to know what colours work well though!! Hmmmmm....how long to Christmas????;)

Your shelf looks a little droopy Wendy! I got a crick in my neck trying to read all the spines! ...some of them look rather 'heavy' in the reading sense as well... I like lots of piccies!! The Automata and Mechanical ones look interesting. Do you make kinetic jewellery??
Barbara

Ominicci
23-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Ha ha Nic and I thought I was bad. Now if my DH complains I shall show him your List :p

The Penland Book of Jewelry
The Metalsmiths Book of Boxes and Lockets
Silver Wire Fusing Jones
The Art of Metal Clay. Haab
Creative Metal Clay Jewelry. Wire
Making Silver Chains. Waszek
Creative Silver Chains Chantal Lise Saunders
Step by Step Jewellery Workshop Nicola Hurst
Making Metal Bead Pauline Warg
Jewelers Studio Handbook Brandon Holschuh
Wrap, Fold, Stitch and Rivet Mary Hettmansperger
Making Metal Jewelry Joanna Golberg
Encyclopedia of Jewelery Making Techniques Jinks McGrath

All Wired Up Mark Lareau
Wire and Bead Celtic Jewellery Linda Jones
Wire Style Denise Peck

Search Press Books;
20 to Make Charms
20 to Make Bracelets
80 Original Charms

I also subscribe to Art Jewelry, Jewelry Artist and Step by Step Wire Mags

In order to tell you which was my favourite I'd have to look through them all again! But I do love just looking throught the Penland Book, and would like the 500/1000 books as well for that.

The ones I was most disappointed with when I got them were the chain making books as there were no 'revelations' in them - mostly stuff I knew that I knew really.

My Silversmith Tutor liked the Making Metal Jewellery by Joanna Golberg when I took it to show her and she said it was a brilliant book for beginners.

I still have a few books on my wish list
The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form by Elizabeth Olver
and Oppi Untracht's Concepts and Technology Book (which Wendy has) even though I have flicked through it at college and know it is too technical for me!!

Solunar Silver Studio
23-07-2009, 04:15 PM
It looks like we have a similar taste in books Ominicci! Of the ones I haven't got I rather fancy the Stitch, Fold and Rivet one - is it any good? ...and I have so nearly bought the Creative Silver Chains before...should I finally take the plunge??
I'm really enjoying having a nose at other people's bookshelf!! Thanks for sharing everyone!:)
Barbara

MuranoSilver
23-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I also fancied the Wrap, Fold, Stitch and Rivet book and wondered if it was worth investing in. The Silver Wire Fusing book also appears on multiple lists - hows that one?

Nic x

wendy
23-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Barbara – Yes the shelf does look like it’s bending under the weight - that’s just down to my bad photography!  I’ve got tons of books on automata and watches/clocks because I wrote my dissertation at uni on automata and man's drive to imitate nature, and my dad is a clockmaker. Mechanisms are extremely inspirational for me, and if only I had a limitless supply of money and time I would make automata. I made kinetic jewellery at uni when I had the time to play, but since my work has become much more ‘wearable’ .

Nic – You have Practical Goldsmith, I love that range of books and hope that one Xmas someone in my family will pay attention to my Amazon Wishlist and buy it for me!!

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi Nic, The Fusing Silver Wire book is one that I would recommend to anyone starting out - or who doesn't believe silver will join to itself without solder - like me! I couldn't believe it when I read it - so this book started my career!! However - even to me at the beginning - the book contents is very basic and the designs are fairly obvious and not terribly adventurous...so I doubt that you would get anything from it really...
Barbara

julie
24-07-2009, 07:19 AM
my bookshelf ...

Solunar Silver Studio
24-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Ceramic Bead Jewellery looks interesting. Is that making jewellery with ceramic beads or making ceramic beads for jewellery?
I have experimented with painting pmc slip onto unglazed ceramic beads and firing them. It worked surprisingly well. I loved ceramics at college so I would enjoy making forms that I could cover in silver! I don't think my litle kiln would get hot enough to biscuit fire clay though...thinks....must do research on that one!
Barbara

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 08:02 AM
my bookshelf ...

Ok Julie that's your bookshelf but I can't read all the titles...aargh
I need to know! What's the huge spiral bound one got in it??? :p
Nic xx

julie
24-07-2009, 09:09 AM
the spiral book is Jewelry Making for Schools, Tradesmen and Craftsmen by murray bovin .. a good metal reference book ;)

ceramic bead jewelry is a 30 projects & technique book

ps_bond
24-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Hmm. Could take me a while to list all of mine - I may have to cheat & just put a photo in.

One that I haven't seen mentioned is the Theory & Practice of Goldsmithing; it's a fairly heavy tome both in pages and content, but it's right up my street.

What might be nice is some reviews on some of these...? I had been wondering about buying the Ganoksin "Jeweler's Bench Book", but I was so underwhelmed by the previous flexshaft book, I'm not certain. Anyone got that & willing to comment on it?

Here's some of what I have - mostly remembered through other people's lists:

Jewelry Fundamentals of Metalsmithing. McCreight
Hot and Cold Connections. McCreight
The Complete Metalsmith. McCreight
Handbook of Jewellery Techniques. Carles Codina
Goldsmithing & Silver Work. Carles Codina
Making the Most of your Flex-shaft. Karen Christians
The Jewellers Directory of Decorative Finishes. Jinks McGrath
The Metalsmiths Book of Boxes and Lockets. McCreight
The Rings Book. Jinks McGrath
Practical Goldsmith. Mountings Settings
500 Pendants & Lockets - A Lark Jewellery Book
500 Wedding Rings - A Lark Jewellery Book
Jewelry Concepts & Technology. Untracht
Theory & Practice of Goldsmithing. Brepohl
Tips & Shortcuts for Jewellery Making
Handbook of Ornament. Meyer (pdf is over here - http://www.archive.org/details/handbookoforname00meyeuoft but I prefer the paper copy)
Metalwork and Enamelling. Maryon
Art of Engraving. Meeks
Creative Stonesetting. Cogswell

Er... Memory fails me now.

julie
24-07-2009, 10:03 AM
i have the jeweler's bench reference book by harold o'connor -Great for quick reference i keep with my tools i wouldn't be without ...

i see 1000 rings and the other lark jewellery books pendants etc ??? on some peoples book shelves i'm always thinking about should i get them or not , it's so hard to tell if your buying a good book or not as most not on waterstones shelves :(... is it a good book to have ???

would welcome any feed back :D

ps_bond
24-07-2009, 10:42 AM
The Lark books are collated photos, jury selected AIUI - short on additional info, but useful visual references. There's a lot of stuff in them that is not to my taste, but so what. It gives a fairly broad spectrum.

SilverByRosie
25-07-2009, 09:10 AM
My book collection is embarrassingly small for someone who has more books than anything else in her room :rolleyes:

Bead On A Wire - Sharilyn Miller
The Complete Guide To Wire & Beaded Jewellery - Linda Jones
Bead & Wire Are Jewellery - J. Marsha Michler

The top one is my favourite for techniques as the pictures and explanations are very helpful. The other two are more for inspiration as their technique sections aren't great.

Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner wanting to try things other than wire wrapping?

~Rosie

julie
25-07-2009, 10:22 AM
thanks peter i found a site yesterday after your post that showed the inside of the ring1000 book and not really to my taste some lovely rings but i'm looking for more wearable rings ... i will carry on looking for a good stone setting book tube,flush settings etc with some projects :D

Coco
25-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Oh! Oh! Oh! I have that book! I love, love, love, love, love it! So inspirational and always finding something new no matter how many times you look through it :D

Petal
26-07-2009, 03:42 PM
The ones I use regularly are :-

Bead on a Wire, Sharilyn Miller (a good one) :)
The Jewellers Directory of Gemstones, Judith Crowe (its my latest book and really interesting learning all about the gems and how they are treated to give different effects)

The Beaders Colour Mixing Directory, Sandra Wallace (I use this one all the time, plus it has a colour wheel at the back)
The Bead Selectors Bible, Elise Mann (I use this ocasionally)
Bead and Wire Jewellery for Special Occasions, Linda Jones (Bead on a wire is better, I think)
The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques, Sarah Withers & Stephanie Burnham
(Rosie, I am not sure if you mean more beading techniques, or silversmithing - it covers embroidery, threading, knotting, knitting with wire, decorative knotting with macrame, loom techniques and beadweaving but this might interest you ?)

Then there are the "oh, I'd like to make something like that" section - I thought it would be good to aim high .... um oh well, its good to dream.

Basic Jewellery Making Techniques, Jinks McGrath
Jewellery Making Manual, Sylvia Wicks
Jeweller's Resouce, Bruce Knuth

Plus one about making handbags, as I'd like to make them and then embellish with beads... :D

Jules x

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Hides in a corner, i only have one book so far, so busy trying to collect equipment i just cant buy everything at once :( and now i wanna look into the pmc (all your fault Barabara having been to your site and blog :P) and also enamalling and and and and........................... i want to learn everythinggggggggggggggggggggg

julie
26-07-2009, 08:28 PM
the library is good they have a good selection i requested a few books today 1000 rings being one of them and a few others from peoples "BOOK SHELF" list ... :D

Solunar Silver Studio
26-07-2009, 08:46 PM
SORREEEEEEE! bustagasket - (sheepish grin):o
But I'm sure we have all been there....no....tell a lie......
I wouldn't mind betting most of us have seen stuff on this forum over the past few weeks and said to ourselves...'ooo, I fancy having a go at that!' OK so perhaps your 'to do' list is a little longer than some...but hey....think of the fun you are going to have over the next few years!!:D
Barbara

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 08:49 PM
omg yes, my poor husband is already growning at all my - "i really needs" loland i am gradually moving into my sons room (he lives more at his girlfriends now) and i need a craft room!!!

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry, have been away.

Nic & Barbara - the Wrap, Stitch, Fold, Rivet book is one of my 'just OKAY' books. It is not my favourite book to refer to, but there are some good ideas in it. The finished items are a little too 'rough and ready' for me; I want to get hold of some of the items and smooth the corners out or polish out the scratches. The gallery pics are good though.

SilverByRosie
30-07-2009, 06:52 AM
The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques, Sarah Withers & Stephanie Burnham
(Rosie, I am not sure if you mean more beading techniques, or silversmithing - it covers embroidery, threading, knotting, knitting with wire, decorative knotting with macrame, loom techniques and beadweaving but this might interest you ?)

I was leaning more in the way of silversmithing, but knitting with wire sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll look it up :)

ps_bond
31-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Right... Finally snapped the bookshelf with most of my jewellery books on it. The flash has washed out some of the spines and the verticals converge - but you can't really expect *too* much of a camera phone.

There's a few stragglers elsewhere.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=64

R to L, and in no particular order:

The Art of Jewelry Making; Revere
Jewellery, Fundamentals of Metalsmithing; McCreight
Scroll Ornaments of the Early Victorian Period; Dover
Old Norse Designs; Dover
The Art of Blacksmithing; Bealer
Hot and Cold Connections; McCreight
??? Can't make it out at all!
Numismatic Forgery; Larson
Jewellery Manufacture and Repair; Jarvis
Japanese Patinas; Eitoku
Japanese Crafts, Materials and Their Applications; Hickman
500 Brooches; Lark
1000 Rings; Lark
500 Bracelets; Lark
Jewelry Making and Design; Rose
The Jewelry Repair Manual; Hardy
Designing and Making Jewellery; Macrae
The Art of Engraving; Meek
Gianfranco Pedersoli - Master Engraver;
Modelling in Wax for Jewellery and Sculpture; Kallenberg
Jewellery Making Techniques; Olver
Handbook of Jewellery Techniques; Codina
Goldsmithing & Silver Work: Jewellery, Vessels & Ornaments; Codina
Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks
The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes; McGrath
The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form; Olver
Tips & Shortcuts for Jewellry Making; O'Keefe
The Art of Jewellery Design; Olver
???
Metalwork and Enamelling; Maryon
The Jewelry Engravers Manual; Hardy
Jewelry Concepts and Technology; Untracht
Complete Metalsmith; McCreight
Form Emphasis for Metalsmiths; Seppa
Gun Engraving; Austyn
Mokume Gane; Midgett
Handbook of Ornament; Meyer
First Steps in Enamelling; McGrath
The Earrings Book
Mokume Gane; Ferguson
The Rings Book; McGrath
Electroforming; Curtis
Necklaces and Pendants; Boothroyd
Silversmithing Manual; Cuzner
Silversmithing; Finegold
The Craft of Silversmithing; Austin
Practical Goldsmith 4: Mounting
Celtic Design and Knotwork; Meehan
Metals Technic; McCreight
Boxes & Lockets; McCreight
The Theory & Practice of Goldsmithing; Brepohl

Hmm, there's at least a dozen missing from that list...

MuranoSilver
31-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry, have been away.
Nic & Barbara - the Wrap, Stitch, Fold, Rivet book is one of my 'just OKAY' books. It is not my favourite book to refer to, but there are some good ideas in it. The finished items are a little too 'rough and ready' for me; I want to get hold of some of the items and smooth the corners out or polish out the scratches. The gallery pics are good though.

Thanks for the feedback - I bought it off amazon after being inspired by this blog. (http://somethingsublime.typepad.com/jewelrychallenge/)
She and other artists have taken projects from the book and given them their own slant....fabulous!
After a brief scan through, I've put it aside until I've finished some current projects.
(I must admit, if I hadn't found the blog it would be in my Just OK pile too!)

Nic x

MuranoSilver
31-07-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=64
R to L, and in no particular order:
Jewellery Manufacture and Repair; Jarvis
500 Brooches; Lark
500 Bracelets; Lark
The Jewelry Repair Manual; Hardy
Designing and Making Jewellery; Macrae
Goldsmithing & Silver Work: Jewellery, Vessels & Ornaments; Codina
Tips & Shortcuts for Jewellry Making; O'Keefe
Metalwork and Enamelling; Maryon
The Jewelry Engravers Manual; Hardy
The Earrings Book
Necklaces and Pendants; Boothroyd

Whoop!! Another brain to pick :D
The books above caught my eye - some because of the title and some because I've been thinking of getting them....
I have no repair bench reference so would appreciate your input there
Plus I'm interested if any of the others are (in your opinion) 5 star publications.

Nic xx

ps_bond
31-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Whoop!! Another brain to pick :D

I wouldn't be so sure on that one...!

The books above caught my eye - some because of the title and some because I've been thinking of getting them....
I have no repair bench reference so would appreciate your input there
Plus I'm interested if any of the others are (in your opinion) 5 star publications.

On the repair side, both of those two are a bit dated in some areas; Hardy is best on setting technique, while IIRC Jarvis has more on making mounts. If I really, really had to get rid of one I'd probably keep Hardy, but it's touch & go.

The Lark books are all pretty much the same - not in a bad way, but if you've read one you know what to expect. As I've said before, not everything in them is to my taste, but it's still interesting to see what people are doing.

Codina is fun to read; he has some techniques that I haven't seen used much in the UK, but occasionally he throws in tools that I just can't seem to source - a manual wax lathe, for example. Suppose I ought to make one once I get my Myford set up again.

The Jewelry Engraver's manual is mostly devoted to hand-cutting lettering; there's a lot on prepping & maintaining gravers - but equally, Cogswell covers that pretty well. It's aimed at a jobbing engraver more than anything, IMO. Still working on my script lettering!

O'Keefe & Macrae are aimed more at the beginner side of things (sorry Sarah!); both have some interesting ideas and some fairly easy projects that give some really nice results (and some lovely eye-candy, of course).

Necklaces and Pendants isn't too bad; it's nowhere near as good as The Rings Book, unfortunately; there's a couple of project pieces in there which are interesting - working with urushiol, for example.

Metalwork and Enamelling clearly hasn't made much of an impression on me - I can't remember a thing about it!

The Earrings book... Hmm. Perhaps best to read my review of it on Amazon, and see the counterpoint. Suffice to say it is a very unusual book - in that I wish I hadn't bought it. Still, it's on the shelf - if only to serve as a warning!

Others there that I'd rate as my top ones are probably...
Meeks for engraving.
Both the mokume books (if you can get hold of Midgett still)
Cogswell on stonesetting.
Brepohl!!!
Finegold for silversmithing (with Heiki Seppa for the finer points)
McGrath on Rings.
McCreight - both Metals Technic and Complete Metalsmith.
...and Untracht, of course.

(list subject to change, naturally)

julie
31-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Mr postie has just delivered my creative stone setting book i ordered from amazon have to agree even tho i have only skimmed it, it does look very detailed peter i notice you have The Rings Book could you tell me is that book worth getting now i have the gogswell book ??? ty

maybe a book review on the forum would be a good idea ??? :D

ps_bond
31-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Strangely, I'd rather not do detailed reviews of *all* of those!

The answer is "it depends...". I would regard them as complementary. The Rings book is more focussed on building the ring than setting stones and has some slightly different ways of doing things.

julie
31-07-2009, 02:41 PM
no peter sorry i meant in general people giving a book review, maybe they have bought a good book lately which is good enough to share a review with others ... :D

Ominicci
01-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Nic - Re Wrap Stitch etc thanks for your link to the blog - not sure it would change my mind though. I still want to 'polish them all up a bit' must just be me:rolleyes:....just saw a thread on Perfectionism...better have a look at that :rofl:

bustagasket
16-08-2009, 12:05 PM
I have just been making a list from this thread in my trusty note book, and actually if people were willing to do reviews, not on all the books they own, but perhaps on their favourite one it would be really usely for those of us who, like me, dont as yet have a clue on whats good and whats not.

So i would be REALLY grateful to anyone who contributed to something like that. I have already taken in all the comments so far and have a wish list of 7 books so far

Julie Moss
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Best technical reference book we have on the shelf here at YSOJ is Oppi Untracht's Jewellery Concepts and Techniques - but it's not a bedtime read and not one to be read from cover to cover. More of a dip in when you need to know something.

agent_44
08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I have just been making a list from this thread in my trusty note book, and actually if people were willing to do reviews, not on all the books they own, but perhaps on their favourite one it would be really usely for those of us who, like me, dont as yet have a clue on whats good and whats not.

So i would be REALLY grateful to anyone who contributed to something like that. I have already taken in all the comments so far and have a wish list of 7 books so far

I recently bought Creative Stonesetting by John Cogswell - looks like a fab book. I have studied only the Bezel settings chapter so far but it is clearly written, seems to cover every possible variation and also talks a lot about trouble shooting and dealing with mistakes. Also his choices for his way of doing things seem to be well explained and justified, which I like, because, the 'we do it this way and that's that' attitde drives me nuts!

Best technical reference book we have on the shelf here at YSOJ is Oppi Untracht's Jewellery Concepts and Techniques - but it's not a bedtime read and not one to be read from cover to cover. More of a dip in when you need to know something.

I recently bought this one too, looks brilliant although not done much more than flick through it as of yet. It's more exoensive but you get A LOT of book for your money!

Coco
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I've lost my "complete metalsmith"! :'(

What's a girl to do in this kind of situation?

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley

I agree - fantastic book!

Coco
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Just started re-reading and drooling over Brilliance!: Masterpieces from the American Jewelry Design Council. How fab is that book? We should do a version! :dancing:

Ominicci
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Oppi Untracht's book is on my Amazon wish list (Amazon has got a third off that book at the moment) even though I know it is too over the top technical for me. Although he does go into a lot of jewellery history. He died last year.

I mentioned elsewhere that today I recieved Elizabeth Olver's The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form. Thin paperback, but lots of pictures for ideas. Not a technique/instruction book, but more of a description book. I concur with all the Amazon reveiws of it - even the critical one, but am still glad I bought it.

agent_44
09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Oppi Untracht's book is on my Amazon wish list (Amazon has got a third off that book at the moment) even though I know it is too over the top technical for me. Although he does go into a lot of jewellery history. He died last year.

I mentioned elsewhere that today I recieved Elizabeth Olver's The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form. Thin paperback, but lots of pictures for ideas. Not a technique/instruction book, but more of a description book. I concur with all the Amazon reveiws of it - even the critical one, but am still glad I bought it.

I have 2 hardback copies of that, stupid idiot here bought he English and American versions thinking they were different.

Omnicci - don't you just love the piece called 'The Crown Jewels', would make a fabulous pendan't I am sure! ;)

MuranoSilver
16-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I have 2 hardback copies of that, stupid idiot here bought he English and American versions thinking they were different.

Omnicci - don't you just love the piece called 'The Crown Jewels', would make a fabulous pendan't I am sure! ;)

Arrrgh just got mine through Amazon, would've bought yours off you if I'd realised sooner

nic x

Coco
13-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I just ordered a copy of Creative stonesetting from Amazon. Hopefully it will be here by tomorrow :bauble:

Coco
15-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Anyone here own or in this?

The Compendium Finale of Contemporary Jewellers 2008 (http://www.darlingpublications.com/)

It's huge!!!! :dance:

ps_bond
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
No, but I know someone who's in it.

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
nic

is this book any good?
as i saw on amazon was wondering what its like.

stu g

Solunar Silver Studio
12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I borrowed it from the local library - along with the 500 brooches and 500 necklaces books. They are fine - as far as they go - but they do only just give an image of the ring and a couple of lines of info about the ring and the designer/maker. This link gives you a chance to look inside...Jewelry Tools - 1,000 Rings (http://www.contenti.com/products/books/_inside_pages.html?secthome=books&itemno=116-693&page=1)
Personally - I wouldn't recommend it to purchase - unless you just like looking at some weird and wonderful rings...:xmas-):

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
thanks for that link.i see what you mean about the weird lol.
maybe i will look for it in my local libarary first.or maybe ebay for a cheap copy if it ever comes up.

stu g

Solunar Silver Studio
12-12-2009, 08:25 PM
You can request that the library access books for you (usually from other libraries – but they do also buy them in for their own stock sometimes). You can then borrow them under their usual terms and conditions. Our library charges 75p per book for this service…but it is well worth it rather than making an expensive mistake!

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
You can request that the library access books for you (usually from other libraries – but they do also buy them in for their own stock sometimes). You can then borrow them under their usual terms and conditions. Our library charges 75p per book for this service…but it is well worth it rather than making an expensive mistake!

i never knew that thanks thats worth knowing for anything in the future.
:ta:

stu g

bob flemming
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm another person who thinks that Coswell's Creative Stonesetting book is excellent, and I'd really recommend that to anyone looking into setting stones (or, in fact, anything else. One of his chapters has given me inspiration for "setting" fabric in silver).

I don't have any Tim McCreight books and was wondering which you all thought would be the best one to go for, please?

MuranoSilver
09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Is a particularly useful book, well laid out easy reference
(course my favourite is his PMC Decade book,very inspirational for us Silver Clay folks)
Nic xx

WitchfordSilver
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Dust, i need to read my books more!!!!

Ominicci
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I got a book for Christmas called The Crafter's Devotional - 365 days of tips, tricks and techniques for unlocking your creative spirit. It is aimed at anyone who does any sort of crafts (except fine art or graphic design type subjects) and is broken up into weeks using a different technique each day of the week to help you do, or think about, something different, to get you 'out of a rut and into your groove'.

Skimming through the pages there are some good ideas and some that could be related to jewellery making.

Monday - Journalling; write, draw or make notes. I can see how Journalling provides a visual prompt to help you remember a technique, design, pattern or other things that may be useful to you.

Tuesday - recycle, reuse or revive - seems pretty obvious and one of the entries is using trash - there is a type of jewellery called Steampunk, which incorporates bits of machines, cogs, circuitry etc. There is also an entry on the meaning of 'Modify' - altering for the better, adding a new twist or aspect to the item.

Wednesday - collection, stash and materials - look at what you've got in a different way or even a different stash for a different purpose; look in your sewing box, or tool shed for items to inspire your jewellery. Step out side your comfort zone "The turtle makes progress only when he sticks his neck out" is one quote. Or try something again that you have put to one side.

Thursday - Personal history - Look at things that define you and use them to inspire you - a favourite book, place, piece of clothing. Revist your childhood and the simple things that used to interest you. Think about what you would make for your favourite popstar, actor, idol, member of your family, hero.

Friday - Non-craft inspiration - Get out and look elsewhere for inspiration; a shipyard at the boat names, an artist and their paintings, flora, fauna and fresh air, "The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes" Marcel Proust.

Sat & Sun - Collaborate, Gather & Experiment - look at another artist's work and do your own interpretation of it, ask a family member to work with you on something, only buy items in a shop that catch your eye first, work in grid style, try meditation before you start work.

Some of sounds a bit methodical, and it repeats itself a lot. I'm not going to follow it religiously but dip in and out of it when I feel the need.

Petal
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
OOh thanks for sharing that with us Nicci - that sounds like a really good book and one I shall hunt down in the library - if its as good as it sounds, I'll probably buy it.

Lovely stuff.

xx

Silver_Witch
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
some good recommendations on here, i love the books from the 1970's

Silver_Witch
05-04-2010, 10:13 AM
can anyone recommed a good wire wrapping gemstone book?

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
The Guild of Enamellers has a lending library for members, membership is only £20 per year. To borrow books you pay postage in both directions so the cost of borrowing varies according to the weight of your parcel :)
Home (http://www.guildofenamellers.org/)

Lou
07-04-2010, 09:44 PM
(course my favourite is his PMC Decade book,very inspirational for us Silver Clay folks)

Is this book on Amazon, I don't have this one yet!

geti-titanium
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm still reading a book about levitation - I just can't put it down

Mila Jewellery
07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
:rolleyes:

MuranoSilver
08-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Is this book on Amazon, I don't have this one yet!
PMC Decade is £34.50 on Amazon.co.uk :)
nic x

elliboo
08-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Setting Gemstones into metal Clay - Lorrene Baum-Davis

Natural Gemstones in Metal Clay - Deric Metzger
Setting Stones in Metal Clay - Jeanette Landenwitch

Anything preferences over these 3 Nic ?

Lou
08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh I love books, here's my list of the ones I have here and I think I have quite a few in storage still:

Jewellery Making- Jinks McGrath
The Art and Craft of Making Jewellery- Joanna Gollberg
Art Clay Silver Basic Book
The Art of Metal Clay- Sherri Haab
Jewellery Inspirations- Sherri Haab
Jewelry Cpncepts and Technologies- Oppi Untracht
The Art and Craft of Polymer Clay- Sue Heaser
The Art of Polymer Clay- Donna Kato
The Art of Jewellery, Polymer Clay- Aimone
Precious Metal Clay Techniques- Tim McCreight
Hot and Col Connections- Tim McCreight
The Complete Metalsmith- Tim McCreight
Polymer Clay Beads- Grant Diffendaffer
How To Make Polymer Clay Beads- Carol Blackburn
The Polymer Clay Cookbook- Susan and Jessica Partain
The Art of Polymer Clay, Creative Service Techniques- Donna Kato
Magical Metal Clay Jewellery- Sue Heaser
Polymer Clay Colour Inspirations- Lindly Haunani & Maggie Maggio
500 Earrings- Lark

Non Jewellery
Family and Friends in Polymer Clay- Maureen Carlson
How to Make Clay Characters- Maureen Carlson
Polymer Clay Techniques Book- Sue Heaser
Creating Fanatsy Figures in Polymer Clay- Dinko Tilov
Clay Characters for Kids- Maureen Carlson
How to Draw Caricatures- Lenn Redman
Creating Life-Like Figures in Polymer Clay- Katherine Dewey
Making Dolls House Miniatures in Polymer Clay- Sue Heaser
Creating Lifelike Animals in Polymer Clay- Katherine Dewey
Dolls House Shops, Cafe's and Restaurants- Jean Nisbett
Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1:12 Scale-Jane Harrop

Lou
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
PMC Decade is £34.50 on Amazon.co.uk :)
nic x

hmm a bit expensive and from the U.S too which means I'll probably pay out for shipping and customs. Is it a big book, worth the price?
L x

MuranoSilver
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Elliboo: Of the three I think you might find: Setting Stones in Metal Clay - Jeanette Landenwitch the most useful
Lou it's a fantastic book & I think worth the price but it IS an Eye candy and inspiration book rather than a technique manual :)
Nic xx

HelenM
18-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Can anyone recommend a really good beginners silversmithing book? I'm after a book that goes into basic detail and instruction on a wide range of working with silver. Something which gives enought detail for a novice to get started, but covers a wide range of things, so I can work out how to do things but look for more detail on the things that really 'take my fancy'.

Thanks!
Helen
:help:

Ominicci
19-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Step by Step Jewellery Workshop by Nicola Hurst is a good one - I took it in to show my tutor and she was very impressed with it and said she would recommend it from now on.

Joe
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I've just received and leafed through The Penland Book of Jewelry (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/160059607X/) (sic). It is a really superb book! Fantastic contemporary pieces and careful, detailed tutorials in photographs.

Jaime Pelissier's chapter should be supplied with every new rolling mill, I swear I've made every single one of those errors!

lilia
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Joe,

Where did you buy that book. Amazon says it hasn't been released it and available for pre-order.

ps_bond
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Bizarre. Wonder what Amazon are up to there?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penland-Book-Jewelry-Classes-Techniques/dp/1579906982 - the more expensive hardback, but available.

BTW Joe - I've taken the liberty of stripping the session data from your link, hope that's OK.

Joe
03-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Thank you Peter, I'm disappointed that I didn't notice I'd done that!

I bought it new, through Amazon, from a supplier in Canada (bookcloseouts.com) - a total of less than £10 including delivery for the hardback - and it arrived in about 10 days.

wellhammered
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
If you are interested in silversmithing try The Craft of Silversmithing by Alex Austin, good start up book with lots of photos, and then Silversmithing by Finegold and Seitz. This is an old (american) book but is full of fantastic info. The other thing I used to teach myself is a dvd by Christopher Lawrence, available from Goldsmiths Company. The Theory and Practice of Hand Raising. Good luck. Jane

Cristiana
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone

This is an amazing thread! I'm just writing to let you know that today is World Book Day and we've officially launched a new competition here on the forum. It would be great to raise some awareness on this celebration and find out what books everyone has read recently! Please have a look here (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/grapevine/3458-world-book-day.html), join the conversation and win a little treat for yourself! Happy reading!

tricitybendix
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I would suggest Jewellery Making Manual by Sylvia Wicks. Not sure if its still in print - i got mine from Amazon. Very clear step by step instructions and covers all the basics and loads of other stuff.

Obsidian Butterfly
12-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi
I'm new to this forum stuff so not sure if this has already been asked but if so I couldn't find it. I noticed in this thread that Creative Stonesetting by John Cogswell has been recommended for different types of stone setting. I have already done bezel, claw and tube setting so is it worth getting this book, and if so where can I get it as Amazon only have second hand copies at £56!!!!
Thanks
Laura

Kwant
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
With an expenditure like that for a book you are unsure of, perhaps you could check out your local library (if indeed such things still exist in the UK) and if they don't have it ask them to get a copy, as I believe one used to be able to do. That way you can check it out with regard to that which you already know and see if it is actually worth buying.

Obsidian Butterfly
12-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks Kwant, my library doesn't have it in stock but I have requested it, so I'm just waiting for a reply from them now. :)

Dori Christensen
20-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I won't post all my books, but this is my latest purchase (anyone else have it?): Wire & Bead Celtic Jewelry, By Linda Jones

Dennis
21-03-2012, 12:50 PM
It's whatever you're into at the moment Dori. For reference I like more kinky books, such as:

'101 Bench Tips for jewelers', by Alan Revere, some of which are pretty ordinary, but others more interesting. Anyhow, cheaper than visiting San Francisco.
'At the Bench', by Gregg Todd & Greg Gilman. Some common techniques you should have learned at the bench, but never did.
'Cheap Thrills in the Tool Shop', by Charles Lewton Brain, Describing home made tools and modifications you didn't even know you needed.

Regards, Dennis.

Goldsmith
21-03-2012, 03:11 PM
This is my book collection.

James

ps_bond
22-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I think I've seen the Cartier one, but other than that the only one of those I've got is the one on the right... Several of the Faberge ones are available on Amazon at reasonable prices 2nd hand.

Goldsmith
23-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Peter, I love buying books, my last purchase was The Crown Jewels, by Anna Keay, this is interesting as it has photos of the royal crowns that have been altered over the years, it shows the crowns without their set stones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Crown-Jewels-Anna-Keay/dp/0500515751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332490367&sr=1-1
I bought this book mainly for a photo of the Armills presented to Queen Elizabeth on her coronation, they were made by the man who taught me my trade.
I have also bought a book on the history of Garrard. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garrard-Crown-Jewellers-150-Years/dp/0704370557/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332490402&sr=1-6
I was recently surprised at the value of some of my books,when I was asked about a book on engine turning that I have called "Engine Turning, 1680-1980: The Tools and Technique" by Martin Matthews and Amazon wants £550 for a used copy. I have a signed copy that I bought from H.S.Walsh in 1984.
By the way they only printed 500 copies of my book, so it's value may also appreciate in time, who knows.
James

ps_bond
27-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Much to the despair of my OH, I'm as much of a bibliophile as I am a tool junky. The Booth book on Faberge has just arrived, having cost me just under £7 shipped. I had a look at the Crown Jewels books briefly; I'm quite tempted, particularly given my great-great-(great-?)grandfather was Keeper of the Jewel House.

It is strange the value some relatively recently out of print books acquire; not that it matters much to me from a selling perspective, only buying. It'd be nice to see yours appreciate too.

methuselah
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I was just re-reading Complete Metalsmith by McCreight. On page 15 it has a quote by Paul Hasluck, from Metalworking (1907).
Well, it turns out that an earlier edition of that book is available for free online:
Metalworking - Tools, Materials and Processes by Paul N. Hasluck, 1904 (http://www.wkfinetools.com/mLibrary/Hasluck/1904-Metalworking/1904-Metalworking.asp)
I haven't had chance to read it yet, but there is a detailed chapter on Repousse with some lovely illustrations.
There is a full list for the site here:
Masters' Library (http://www.wkfinetools.com/mLibrary/mLibrary_index-1.asp) - I haven't read any of these either, but I'd imagine Engraving Metals and Brazing and Soldering would be of some interest.
A nice slice of history, and for free :-)

Unhindered
22-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Has anyone read this? I spied it when I was in Hatton Garden last week and was tempted but decided to think about it first!

http://www.cooksongold.com/Books/Profiting-By-Design-A-Jewellery---Makers-Guide-To-Business-Success--By-Marlene-Richey-prcode-999-A102

ps_bond
22-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Knee jerk response is it's an American book, so some bits are likely to be less applicable.