PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Tools Thread

Tigerlily
15-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Evening :~:

I recently saw a thread on here about suggested list tools for a beginner, and now for the life of me I can't find it #-o - does anybody know which one I mean and if so could you point me in the right direction ... thanks muchly!!! :xmas;_): xx

Tigerlily
15-11-2009, 07:44 PM
No worries, have found it now and have bookmarked it :bauble: xx

shelliem
15-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Ooh how do you bookmark?

Tigerlily
15-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Well not bookmarked exactly, but have subscribed to it and have added it to my favourites on my browser, sorry if I mislead you :">

Mich xx

shelliem
15-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Ha ha its ok, I'm pleased to know I'm not as stupid as I was beginning to think I was !

Tigerlily
15-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Ha ha!! I know that feeling well!! :D

Mich xx

lesley
15-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Er.....can you tell me which thread it is please? :xmaslaugh:

minnie
15-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello

I do a list of basics I give students(as basic learning working with silver)

I am happy to share this with explanations if people are interested.Of course my opinion but people have said they have found it useful.

Let me know ....

shelliem
15-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Yes please Christine :)

Lesley I'm not sure of the location of that thread myself but if I come across it I will let you know.

Tigerlily
15-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Lesley, the link to the post is http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellery-students-lounge/986-starting-uni-what-do-i-need.html X x

Oooh yes please Christine, that would be fantastic!! :ta: xx

Mich xx

minnie
15-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello

I will post my list tomorrow.

I am very happy to help !!

Please feel free to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lesley
15-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the link, Michelle - how did I miss that? - and I'd love a list, Christine. :Y:

Emerald
16-11-2009, 07:05 AM
cooksons do a basic student starter kit for those of you who dont have anything

Tigerlily
16-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Jo, have put that one in my cart too!! What do you think about the soldering kit? Did you manage to find your folder by the way?? xx

Emerald
16-11-2009, 10:20 AM
the soldering kit is a must aswell chepaer to buy it this way than all seperatley, i use the handheld torch all the time i have a big sievert aswell but not hooked up at mo.

No no folder yet boo hoo

Tigerlily
16-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Ha ha Lesley, took me ages to find it again!! Very useful list indeed!! So thank you Nic xx

Great - thanks Jo :X Now just need to know what to do with them all :-" Its all very exciting but daunting at the same time xx

Tigerlily
16-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Oooh have just noticed that I have moved from junior member to member, does that mean that I am starting to talk too much??? Well I know my OH thinks so anyhow!! :xmaslaugh:

Emerald
16-11-2009, 11:47 AM
only another 44 posts and you will be a senior member x

minnie
16-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello

Here is list of tools I recommend at my workshops.

CUTTING,FILING,DRILLING
Adjustable saw frame
Saw blades 2/0
metal ruler
files
tin snips(straight sprung)
bench peg
small vise
electric mini drill set
drill bits

SHAPING,TEXTURING
Rawhide mallett
Steel flat stake
Various hammers
Set pliars

SOLDERING
Soldering block
Reverse action tweezers
Silver solder
Flux
Pickle
Small hand torch
pyrex dish with lid
plastic tweezers

POLISHING,FINISHING
Tripoli and rouge
Mops
Barrell polisher

Safety specs and first aid kit

ADDITIONAL ITEMS
Punches
Triblets
Mandrels
Large torch
Doming block and punches

Hope this is useful.

snow_imp
16-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Ooh, thanks Christine - now to see how many of them I've got!

Tigerlily
16-11-2009, 05:48 PM
:ta: Hi Christine, thank you so much for this, its also good to see it in sections too, especially for me being a complete beginner. Can you also recommend a good book or reference site which gives you explanations of what each piece of equipment/technique does/is??? Don't even know if one exists, but would just be really handy to have one. :-p Thank you again
Mich xx

minnie
17-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Hello

Basic Jewellery Making by Jinks McGrath (A&C Black) is very good. It gives good explanations of what things are used for etc.

On You Tube you can watch various videos of people doing bits.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tigerlily
17-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that Christine!! My books arrived yesterday (including that one :Y:) so now just need to find the time to sit down and read them, not easy with 2 small children :'( Thanks again xx

snow_imp
18-11-2009, 09:26 AM
A 'Ball Pein' hammer
Nic x

Um, what's a "ball pein" hammer? And what would you use it for?

minnie
18-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Um, what's a "ball pein" hammer? And what would you use it for?

Hello
A ball pein hammer has one rounded end and one flat end. The rounded end gives that beaten texture as seen on lots of silver jewellery.
The flat end can be used for hitting punches etc.
It is also referred to as a 'jobbing hammer' Cooksons product code 999 89P

Hope this helps. (You can see a small example of the hammering on the hearts page of my website, top picture)

mizgeorge
18-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Anne, there's a whole thread about them here!

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellers-bench-workshop-gallery/1211-dressing-hammers-show-us-your-shinies.html

snow_imp
18-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello
A ball pein hammer has one rounded end and one flat end. The rounded end gives that beaten texture as seen on lots of silver jewellery.
The flat end can be used for hitting punches etc.
It is also referred to as a 'jobbing hammer' Cooksons product code 999 89P

Hope this helps. (You can see a small example of the hammering on the hearts page of my website, top picture)

Thanks Christine that helps a lot - turns out I have one already so don't need to buy a new one :)

Anne, there's a whole thread about them here!

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellers-bench-workshop-gallery/1211-dressing-hammers-show-us-your-shinies.html

Thanks George, I forgot there had been a thread on hammers.