PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Polishing

Mila Jewellery
12-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Can somone give me a bit of advice on these please - after spending today trying to polish one of many small pieces I'm going to link together to make a bracelet, and now having very sore thumbs and a rather acute angle on my left thumb nail I decided there must be a better way! I have had a brief look on the web but I have never used one before and so I though I'd ask you lovely people on here :D

AlexandraBuckle
13-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Having just decided I want one myself from reading another thread - I'd be interested to hear what people have to say too :) I actually find polishing really boring!

Gemma
13-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah- I think I need one too. I have a rock tumbler- can I use this with steel shot etc?

Petal
13-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's some links about tumblers that should help - lots of useful recommendations.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellery-advice/209-rock-tumbler-rocks-cleaning-jewellery.html

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/811-tumble-polishers.html

Happy reading....

AlexandraBuckle
13-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Great, thanks for that Petal!

Emerald
13-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Can somone give me a bit of advice on these please - after spending today trying to polish one of many small pieces I'm going to link together to make a bracelet, and now having very sore thumbs and a rather acute angle on my left thumb nail I decided there must be a better way! I have had a brief look on the web but I have never used one before and so I though I'd ask you lovely people on here :D

The advice i would give is get one lol you still will need to use a pendant drill for the occasional item but for a lot of items the barreller gives a great finish, after spending many years using a large polishing motor and mops i can easily say i am soooo converted no more black hands, hair or face xx

Fiona
13-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I use a tumbler for all my silver - takes off burrs and gives a great polish - and I use stainless shot..

Mila Jewellery
13-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Here's some links about tumblers that should help - lots of useful recommendations.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellery-advice/209-rock-tumbler-rocks-cleaning-jewellery.html

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/811-tumble-polishers.html

Happy reading....

Oh great - thank you for those x

Fi Wilson
15-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm saving up for a tumbler and waiting for the January sales in the hope of grabbing a bargain. In the meantime I use the poor man's version - a jam jar!:-D I fill it to about a third with stainless steel shot, load in my pieces, fill with water to an inch above the shot and then add a drop of washing up liquid and whack on the lid. Depending on how detailed the pieces are and how many nooks and crannies they have I usually find 5 to 10 mins of gentle shaking works (as well as helping to tone my arms too!). It's a perfectly good finish but can't wait to get the real thing!! :dance:

Fi

Mila Jewellery
15-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm saving up for a tumbler and waiting for the January sales in the hope of grabbing a bargain. In the meantime I use the poor man's version - a jam jar!:-D I fill it to about a third with stainless steel shot, load in my pieces, fill with water to an inch above the shot and then add a drop of washing up liquid and whack on the lid. Depending on how detailed the pieces are and how many nooks and crannies they have I usually find 5 to 10 mins of gentle shaking works (as well as helping to tone my arms too!). It's a perfectly good finish but can't wait to get the real thing!! :dance:

Fi

Wow top tip :D I'll give that a go as I can't really stretch to a tumbler at the mo. Thanks x

bustagasket
16-11-2009, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't be without my tumbler now. I got mine this year when i went to the IJL show, nd i always have a stupid grin on my face when i open the barrell and start pulling out all my shinies.

Its not something you will regret buying :D

Ominicci
16-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Me too Su!!

Regarding the jam jar, I read something not too long ago about how someone uses their tumbler drier - they put everything in the jam jar like IndigoBlue says and then put a STRONG BIG magnet on the lid of the jam jar, then attaches the magnet to the middle of the back of the inside of the tumble drier and switches it on (cold or low heat I presume!)

Emerald
16-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Me too Su!!

Regarding the jam jar, I read something not too long ago about how someone uses their tumbler drier - they put everything in the jam jar like IndigoBlue says and then put a STRONG BIG magnet on the lid of the jam jar, then attaches the magnet to the middle of the back of the inside of the tumble drier and switches it on (cold or low heat I presume!)

blimey with the price of electic i think in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a jewellers tumbler, not entirley sure but surely they are cheaper to run than a drier [-o<

Jayne
16-11-2009, 12:38 PM

can you put the towels in at the same time?
J x

Fi Wilson
16-11-2009, 06:52 PM
No problem. It'll give you a good idea of the finish you'll get with a barrel polisher and I'm sure is a way off the results of leaving it in a polisher for 2 hours but it's not a bad alternative.

Fi

Sunnybank
16-11-2009, 07:56 PM
A dumb question, but I can't get my head round tumbling silver. I gather from the forum that they can be used for pmc and small intricate items such as head pins and chain, but can larger items made from silver sheet be tumbled? I'm thinking of bangles and pendants such as these, I imagine the textured finish on the bangle and ring would be OK, but would I get a high shine on the dog tag?? Sorry to be so dumb, but I don't want to waste money on the wrong kit. :confused:

minnie
16-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Hello

ALL of my jewellery is tumbled. I don't polish anything with rouge etc.As well as finishing it well, it work hardens the silver.

I leave my work in hot pickle and then tumble it. Make sure you rinse the jewellery under the tap to get rid of pickle before adding to tumbler (don't forget steel and pickle can discolour silver)

Hope this helps.

Emerald
16-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Sunny you wouldent get a high shine on the dog tag as it has a flat service but the bangle would be fine

Sunnybank
17-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Jo and Christine, I think it comes down to tumbling most things, but giving the pendant polisher the kiss of life for the few flat things I want a shine on. :)