PDA

View Full Version : Arrrggghhhh!! barell shot!!

Rustic Charm
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Why oh why do i always spend ages looking for that last piece in the barrell??? [-X i even sieve it all over a bowl but can i find the last earring setting i'm looking for, can i hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!:'(

lesley
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I just get my hand in and shuffle around. I do tend to get froth on the kitchen floor though.

Rustic Charm
12-11-2009, 04:48 PM
lol, i've hand my hand in, i've tipped the shot out, put it back, sieved it,poked around some more done it over and over and still can't find it!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

bustagasket
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
lol just think of it as a game of hide and seek :D I must admit if something doesnt turn up when i am rinsing all the shot under the tap in the sieve with me hand rifling through it, then it finds resistance is futile once the shot is spread out on the old tea towel to dry. Nothing can hide from me then :D

Di Sandland
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I just get my hand in and shuffle around. I do tend to get froth on the kitchen floor though.

:":...........................

bustagasket
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
i hate to ask the obvious, but erm.....*cough* .......erm, it did definately go in didnt it? not siting on the bench somewhere? lurking behind something?

I can only talk from experience lmao

Rustic Charm
12-11-2009, 04:57 PM
well Su i am beginning to wonder but i can't find it any where!!! ugh!!

lesley
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
i hate to ask the obvious, but erm.....*cough* .......erm, it did definately go in didnt it? not siting on the bench somewhere? lurking behind something?

I can only talk from experience lmao

Ha ha! Been there, done that, had the tantrum. :D

Wolfie75
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
tipped onto the tea towel always works for me.....xx

MuranoSilver
12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I once spent ages looking for for a little earring componenet only to find it stuck to the foam in the lid :">
nic x

Rustic Charm
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
the escapee has been aprehended and returned to it's rightful place, it was stuck at the bottom under one of the fins!!! Well the barreel and shot has had a real good clean now so i suppose that's the upside!! lol

amazingbabe
12-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I thought that only happened to me :reindeer:

Tigerlily
12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry for being a numpty ... but I did say I was new :"> would somebody mind explaining what a barrell and shot is and what it does??? Thanks xxx

Gemma
13-11-2009, 06:58 AM
I think they're all on about tumbling silver in steel shot using a rock tumbler (to harden it). Could be wrong though....brain not functioning

mizgeorge
13-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Metal barrelling, using stainless steel shot, water and a polishing compound in a tumbler is an amazingly quick way to polish, deburr and slightly harden silver. It's a bit like magic!

bustagasket
13-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Metal barrelling, using stainless steel shot, water and a polishing compound in a tumbler is an amazingly quick way to polish, deburr and slightly harden silver. It's a bit like magic!

Magic indeed, i just love opening my tumbler and seeing all the shiny bits emerge, i get tickled pink at their transformation. I as horribly scared of putting some of my delicate stuff in and wondering if it would get damaged but its quite amazing. I look at one of my first pices now and think "god thats dull!"

Best investment i have made so far i think:jedi:

Emerald
13-11-2009, 08:36 AM
After years of hand polishing on a mop i lurrve my barreller i make things just to put in it to see the shiney's when they come out, i recently bought a new ultrasonic cos my other blew up and it is still boxed lol

AlexandraBuckle
13-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Do you know, I think I want a barrel polisher.... my work is never a shiny or hardened as i would like...

maybe I'll treat myself to one!

Wolfie75
13-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I do like my barrel, but I don't awlays want such a satin finish....I really love my motor polisher...(don't like getting filthy) but love the finish I can get. maybe I such try a different compound to get a shinier finish....???..xc

Ominicci
13-11-2009, 10:28 AM
How long are you leaving it the barrel for Claire? With larger pieces I find the longer I leave them in the more satin they get, so only an hour will do. But everything else comes out really shiny after about 2 hours (learnt that here that I was doing it too long).

Tigerlily
13-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I think they're all on about tumbling silver in steel shot using a rock tumbler (to harden it). Could be wrong though....brain not functioning

Thanks Gemma, that does make sense, hoping my books arrive today so I can learn a bit more :dance: xx

Tigerlily
13-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks George, get it now :dance: this forum is such a good way of learning new techniques, have added that one to memory now for when I get to that stage! thanks everyone :ta:

mizgeorge
13-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I do like my barrel, but I don't awlays want such a satin finish....I really love my motor polisher...(don't like getting filthy) but love the finish I can get. maybe I such try a different compound to get a shinier finish....???..xc

What medium are you using Claire? You shouldn't be getting a satin finish with stainless steel - it acts like hundreds of little tiny hammers and should never scratch. Ceramic chips will satinise though.