PDA

View Full Version : A tad overwhelmed

shelliem
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Although I am very enthusiastic and determined to learn how to make lots of lovely shiny things - I can't help feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

I'm not able to attend a night class at the moment both for financial reasons and because of work commitments and am learning mostly through books.

Every time I attempt something, I either am missing a tool, or part of a technique, get confused about the gauges v mm sizes of rings and wire and cant make decisions about what beads and stones to play with.

Then I have lots of idea's which I can't get out at the moment because I can't do anything and then when I read lots of posts on here I just wonder whether I will ever be able to understand half of it let alone put it into action :-O

I just wondered whether others have little blips like this or whether its just moi!

That said, I have found everybody on this forum extremely kind and helpful and that motivates me to keep on keeping on until I can do it too ...

Petal
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh Michelle, I know exactly what you mean and have felt like that many times in the past - still do now, sometimes. :X I would look through your books and make a list of the tools/beads you need and see if you've got them. Even if you haven't got the exact beads, you could use some others instead. Try not to learn too many new things, 'cos you'll have that overwhelmed feeling. Just practice, practice, don't give yourself a hard time, take it easy and you'll be fine. We all have bad days where nothing goes right, the last few days have been like that for me, so I kept my head down and didn't post much. That feeling always passes and you move onto feeling good and things just click into place.

Here's a big [] from me.

Kalorlo
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Heh, yeah, it happens. I have a little notebook to scribble my ideas in so they're there to come back to once I have the required materials/tools/ability!

Stay simple! If I'm making something and I'm not sure what it should be to start with, I choose all my materials first so I have a little pile of beads and wire and jumprings (or colours of clay). Then see what you can make with the tools that you do have.

I actually wrote on all my little packets of jumprings what the AR was - they already had the wire thickness and diameter printed on, but if they hadn't I'd have written those too. It makes it easier for me to immediately pick out the right ones :)
(And I keep all my measurements in metric - I might have to convert everything in a tutorial before I start it, but I find it much less confusing that way!)

HannahJewelleryDesigns
12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi Michelle,
Please dont feel overwhelmed, I know theres a lot to learn but thats half the fun! I learnt a lot of my techniques from books and some of my worst mistakes have led me on to my best pieces!
I have sketch books full of ideas that I cant get out yet, mostly due to not being able to afford the tools/metals to make them. Keep playing with the stuff you do have and who knows- maybe you will invent a new techniqe!
I think we all get a bit frustrated at times but keep going, its so rewarding when you get that technique right for the first time!
Heres big [] from me too
Hannah x

shelliem
12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks everybody

I suppose half of the learning process is not only learning the skill but also learning the speak and uses of tools and equipment, as well as the technical stuff and I kind of know if I put some effort into that it will help me in the long run.

As usual I just want to know everything and do everything now - I wasn't at the front of the que when they doled out patience :-"

bustagasket
12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh Michelle i sooooo know where you are coming from. I have been playing at this game for six months now, and as you can see from my signature, i want to know it all yesterday. I too am trying to build material and tool stock and it takes time and is sooo frustrating when i see stufff in my books that i want to try but am missing something. So i put little pieces of paper in sticking out of the top and on them i note what it is i need for it so that when i buy some different size wire or a specific tool off my wish list, i can just flick across the paper at the top and see if i have fulfilled my missing requirements to do any of them :)

I have so much i want to try, and i feel a need to learn something every weeks, but although what i might learn is not something major or a new technique, the little tips i pick up off here make up for it.

Keep plugging away hun, we will learn as we go, and i am sure even the most experienced here would say they are STILL learning []

snow_imp
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm so with you Michelle - I love reading all the messages on the forum but there are so many things I don't fully understand yet, but it's all things to aim for.

I've been learning from books too and fiddling with whatever I have on hand while "playing" and meanwhile trying to make a wish list of tools.

I have a nasty habit of buying beads with an idea in mind, then failing to write the idea down (I have a 'design ideas' notebook too) and then doing something different with the beads.

Stick with it, I'm sure you're more capable than you may feel you are right now. [[]]

mizgeorge
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm sure we've all been there ;)

I've never had the opportunity to take classes - the sum total of my 'formal' learning is two days of silversmithing, which I did to make sure I wasn't doing everything completely wrong after teaching myself. I find books very useful, and also some of the internet based resources, including videos. There are lots of links to these on the forum.

I found it helped me most to try and focus on one thing at a time. Either perfect it, or decide it's not for me (lots of those!) and then move on. Trying to take on too many things at once just left me in a muddle, which is easily done. Now I'm happier to jump around between various UFOs, and start new ones all the time as well, but without feeling swamped by it all.

The most important thing to remember is that if it's a hobby, it's meant to be fun too. If it stops being fun, then sometimes you need to take a break and do something else for a while!

lesley
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh, Michelle, this is me!
I used to be good at sticking to one thing and following an idea through.
I now haven't a clue what to do............so I'm not doing much of anything and have half finished abandoned things all over the place.

This weekend I'm going to try and focus on making a birthday present for my Mum, using techniques I'm familiar with. Hope that might get me back on track.

Di Sandland
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Strangely, with textile crafts, like knitting and quilting, I was/am queen of the UFO but with jewellery this doesn't seem to happen. I think its because the materials are so obviously valuable. Some of my yarn and quilting fabrics cost a fortune but they don't seem precious in the flesh - if you see what I mean. A piece of silver sheet or wire, or an exquisite one-off bead looks and feels too valuable to abandon because I've moved onto another project.

Well, it makes sense to me anyway... <:)-

shelliem
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I see what you mean Di although for me because it all seems so precious I'm too scared to do anything with it.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who sometimes feels overwhelmed.

I also have a bad habit at looking at everything/everybody else and seeing in them what I am not but want to be which doesn't help with the confidence very much!!

Hopefully through the medium of jewellery I will learn to just like me :D

I do feel a bit better now a though sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards so they say!!

[[]] for everybody else who is feeling overwhelmed.

Vivia
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Absolutely the same as you Michelle :agree:

There's not much I can add without repeating what's already been said, but just to say that even by reading through the posts that interest you on here, it's amazing what sinks in without you realising it....!

MuranoSilver
12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
It doesn't matter how good you get there's always more to learn
so don't worry we're all on the same journey :)
Nic x

The Dragon
12-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't worry Michelle, it just proves you are part of the family. [[]]

I've just had a week where everything I've tried looks mundane at best or terrible at worst. It's just that gene in all of us that motivates/bullies us to improve and make better things, sometimes we control it and sometimes it controls us.

Don't know about you but when I'm having one of those "I'm useless and I'll never learn anything" days I invent a lot of swear words, indulge in much griping, moaning and groaning, drive my OH mad (he's learn't to stay out of my way), I've even resorted to tears a few times to see if I feel any better. :'(But somehow after a little while (and the occasional glass of wine or three) I suddenly realise two things: I have actually learnt so many things from all the mistakes I've made and subconsiously my mind is already working out how to improve things.

OK that's my grown up advice out of the way ... poor yourself a glass of your best relaxing juice, put on some nice music, forget about making anything and go and look for some virtual inspiration. :xmas;_):

Gemma
13-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Definiately sounds like me too! []
Sometimes I like not knowing anything though...you can learn a lot through experimenting...like a silver rod heads up pretty fast so you shouldn't hold it with your fingers....:">

Emerald
13-11-2009, 08:37 AM
It doesn't matter how good you get there's always more to learn
so don't worry we're all on the same journey :)
Nic x

:": there is always something new to learn x

lorraineflee
13-11-2009, 10:17 AM
The day you stop learning is the day to give up!!!!

Lorraine

(Wow, that sounded quite deep!! :-O )

Ominicci
13-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Shellie, my silver tutor rang me up last week to ask me about a book I had taken into class at the beginning of the year as it had in it all the things that she taught her beginners (plus some more), and so she wanted to recommend it to her students from now on. I had taken it in as I was pleased that it could keep referring to it after the class rather than to my own hand written notes or her sketchy handouts. And there are good pictures in it too.

It is Nicola Hurst's - Start Making Jewellery: Make Your Own Beautiful Jewellery £8.42 from Amazon. Not too expensive for a Christmas present from someone? (BUT don't be fooled into thinking she has another book - Step-By-Step Jewelry Workshop: Simple Techniques for Soldering, Wirework, and Metal Jewelry by Nicola Hurst as it is the same book printed for the American market and is more expensive on Amazon!!)

Coco
14-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I only have most of my tools coz my old jewellery school gave them to me (the only good thing about that place). But I'm always finding I'm needing more or even having to replace some as I've managed to lose my half-round pliers #-o

Where are they?!??!!? I've been looking for them for a week! :'(

Jayne
14-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Where are they?!??!!? I've been looking for them for a week! :'(

Well, we all know Coco - do we really have to tell u? ;)
J x

Di Sandland
14-11-2009, 09:11 AM
If we tell you Coco, we'll have to kill you ;)

bustagasket
14-11-2009, 09:13 AM
noooo dont tell her yet, you promised sis!!

Coco
14-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Meanies ;)

shelliem
15-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Everybody :~:

You made me smile thanks - especially the finger burning business, Gemma. I will remember that tip.

Thanks Nicci for the recommendation for the book I will add to my wish list too - I love new books.

I have to say though, I've been at work since Friday morning and returned home to a delivery of some lovely semi precious stones, a cuddle from my mog and then I check this forum and it has me smiling and after I've been out for a run and caught up with the world I can't wait to get stuck in - its heaven compared to what I've just been doing - even the complicated brain fog creating stuff :)