PDA

View Full Version : Polymer clay - which make ?

bead27
11-11-2009, 06:49 AM
After reading about polymer clay in making jewellery magazine I thought I give it a go, using it with PMC to add a splash of colour.

Can any one advise on what I need for my first project ? I've seen two makes Fimo and Kato - does anyone have a preference. Fimo seam to be advertised a lot.

I've got some tools for working PMC, will the same cutters rollers shapers etc work with Polymer or is it a different consistancy.

Hoping some one can advise.

Gemma
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I tend to use fimo soft as I can get it in the shop down the road! I also use premo sculpy- their white pearl colour is lovely. To be honest I haven't really noticed much difference between the two brands. Fimo classic is harder to work.
Any shaping tools you have got for pmc should be ok for polymer clay too. I use metal and plastic shaping tools (and ones made from baked polymer clay). I haven't played with pmc yet so can't really comment on comparing constancies I'm afraid.
I assume you know you have to fire the pmc before adding the polymer clay?

Trudy
11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I use Fimo soft and classic and make alot of beads and pendants etc.
A pasta machine is one tool that I use every time and makes conditioning the clay easy and quick.
Debbie Carlton is an expert in using metal clay and polymer and makes beautiful pieces as well as teaching Debbie Carlton Jewellery (http://www.debbiecarltonjewellery.co.uk/), I know she uses the board sometimes so may be able to help you. :)

Gemma
11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Good point Trudy- I love my pasta machine!! Makes life so much easier

Trudy
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Good point Trudy- I love my pasta machine!! Makes life so much easier

Yeah they are great! and fun :) I got mine ages ago by advertising on a family network site that I needed one...ended up being offered lots (I think people were given them as wedding presents etc and never used them!). Brand new for £5, bargain :Y:

Kalorlo
11-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I've been using Fimo - works fine. Soft conditions really easily, Classic takes a bit longer. There's Sculpey too, and I've seen some tutorials that mix Fimo and Sculpey to get the colours they want, though I assume you have to be a bit careful with making sure different brands are compatible enough to do that without problems.

agent_44
11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I think its partly down to personal preference, but some brands are more suited to jewellery work than others. I personally hate Fimo witha passion! Even the soft is incredibly hard and unworkable for me. I prefer Premo Sculpey, but woudl like to try some other brands I have never used at some point like Kato Clay, and there is a newer German brand called Pardo that's designed specifically for clay.

MuranoSilver
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Any brand works fine though the soft ones are easier to work with.
If you use the same tools for you silver clay and fimo then clean them well in between you don't want polymer clay contaminating your PMC or ACS.
Fire and finish the silver work first including polishing then you wont scratch or discolour the clay.

Nic x

Di Sandland
11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I've got loads of Kato and its horrid. Much prefer Fimo Soft