PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say this...

Coco
09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
But I'm gonna...

I sold a bunch of my old gold that I haven't worn for ages, (after I'd taken the stones that I still like out of course) to one of those annoying companies that keep advertising between neighbours and Home & away . And got not a life changing amount by any means but methinks enough for a new tattoo!

Win! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Di Sandland
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Likewise a few months back. Enough to buy a couple of pairs of Lindstroms

Boo
09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Better than sitting in a drawer unloved.

I don't have any old gold left. We were burgled about 12 years ago and everything went that we weren't actually wearing. So I invested the insurance money into my engagement ring being re-modelled (so that I retained and wore the value of those items, which was largely sentimental), so I bought diamonds with it instead.

But because I'm a sentimental old pussy, I still have the original diamond in it and the gold (and the white gold from my eternity band) was made into a little knot pendant.

caroleallen
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I've been wondering about this too. I don't have loads but just little bits and pieces. Is it better to send it to one of those companies, or to send it to Cooksons for scrap?

Emerald
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
dont put in an envelope please, you will get more from either cooksons or a local jeweller

bustagasket
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
i have to admit that those adverts make me cringe as i am sure there is a rip-off hidden in there somewhere - trusting little soul aren't i lol, i just dont like the idea of them, but its just one of my little hang ups i guess lol

Coco
09-11-2009, 06:08 PM
dont put in an envelope please, you will get more from a local jeweller

Not necessarily - I tried loads of local jewellers and none would even look at what I had. T'was a bit disheartening and humiliating and I quite liked the faceless approach. I admit I also think there's probably a catch/con somewhere but the only things I liked about my old stuff was the stones and once I took them out what had I left to lose?

I'd never give them any of my nice stuff :)

mizgeorge
09-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm a bit confused now. Why not just send it to Cookson?

Emerald
09-11-2009, 06:30 PM
i just drove past our local Hotel and wine bar and there was a sign outside saying 'buying gold now' whats that all about ?

Di Sandland
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM

It was before I belonged to the forum and before I had much knowledge about bullion. I did okay tho - certainly better than the local jewellery was offering.

Carl Martin
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Not as confused as I am at reading this topic.

Petal
10-11-2009, 09:15 AM
If I see an advert asking to buy gold, or whatever, it says to me that the price of it will rise in the buyers favour after you have sold it to them, why would they buy it otherwise. They are just rip off merchantgs and if I needed to sell gold to get cash, then as George says, why not get a price from Cooksons or a variety of bullion dealers. I am much more pessimistic about anything in the media than I used to be and would probably think that if the government/someone was recommending doing something, I'd probably do the opposite. :-"

lesley
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I know this is really petty, but there's a "happy customer" on one of those adverts who says jewellery in such a manner that I want to slap her.
Like this......jew....ler......ree.
For me, that's up there with sec.....e.....tree (secretary).

Better now. :cool:

Ominicci
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Not as confused as I am at reading this topic.

Carl I think it is because most of us only work in silver at the moment so have no need for gold. Therefore the cash value is of more benefit?

Is that why you were confused?

Di Sandland
10-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I know this is really petty, but there's a "happy customer" on one of those adverts who says jewellery in such a manner that I want to slap her.

Oh, me too Lesley. Don't you just want to slap her!

Carl Martin
10-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Carl I think it is because most of us only work in silver at the moment so have no need for gold. Therefore the cash value is of more benefit?

Is that why you were confused?

Yes, I gather that now, had me a tad confused.

If anyone wants to sell me their gold I'm happy to pay the going rate (prefer hallmarked obviously).

I usually buy in around 100 grams + per month.

Coco
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM

The head of education where I used to study pronounces it that way too. Funnily enough I also had more than one passing desire to slap him...

Coco
11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
methinks enough for a new tattoo!

Although I can't be sure as my tattooist hasn't replied to my email. Why can't people respond when I want them to? :D

mizgeorge
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Gotta say it....

tools vs tattoo?

Tools would win hands down for me every day ;)

Di Sandland
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
In my neck of the woods they're just one step above ankle chains as a tart's marker ;)

I've always lusted after both

Coco
11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Tools for me too G,

I don't have any tattoos, in my neck of the woods they are referred to as "tramp stamps" which isn't very pleasant terminology I know but I do quite like them.

All of them? Or just ones in certain places?

Coco
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Gotta say it....

tools vs tattoo?

Tools would win hands down for me every day ;)

Who says I can't have both? :cheers:

geti-titanium
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I just cashed a bit of scrap gold (57% - around 14ct) in today in the jewellery quarter and got £11.65/gm

snow_imp
11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Hm, a new tattoo for me - since work just gave me a bonus it was very tempting - instead I bought the course with Nic - does this mean the making jewellery addiction is starting to out way the tattoo addiction :snow:

Coco
13-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Ha tattoo fund now has quite a dent in it thanks to the stone supplier visiting yesterday :-"

bustagasket
13-11-2009, 11:27 AM
lmao oopsie, now all ya gotta do is show em to us :D

Somersetmaker
19-11-2009, 09:05 AM
There was a feature on You and Yours (Radio 4) in the last couple of days on the hugely varying prices for gold given by these gold buyers who have popped up on tv and just about everywhere else. It confirmed that the prices paid go from scandalously low to fairly reasonable.

I've been warming my customers to take care - there are scams out there - inevitable in times of rapidly rising gold prices and money being tight for many, but not pretty.

WitchfordSilver
19-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I hate to say this but I lost a gold crown (tooth) and was looking forward to recycling it, personal use only. But was let down by the dentist, she cleaned it up and put it back. %-)

Coco
23-11-2009, 09:13 AM
There was a feature on You and Yours (Radio 4) in the last couple of days on the hugely varying prices for gold given by these gold buyers who have popped up on tv and just about everywhere else. It confirmed that the prices paid go from scandalously low to fairly reasonable.

I've been warming my customers to take care - there are scams out there - inevitable in times of rapidly rising gold prices and money being tight for many, but not pretty.

I don't see the problem - don't part with your sentimentally priceless stuff unless you really really really have to and maybe not even then. But if you need a quick cash injection go for it. Just don't pin all your hopes on getting rich quick from it

lilacmonkey
12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I have had friends offered between £2 and £3 a gram for 9ct gold at jewellers, that is the last place to go, some of those cash for gold people actually give standard scrap value (same as cooksons), some actually give a few pence more and some are as scandalous as local jewellers.

someone the wife works with got more from one of "thoses" cash for gold things.then the local jewellers by about £150.
makes me think the jeweller was on the swindle.
keep getting thier leaflet through the door too.
i keep all my bits of gold in case i find a use for them no matter how small.

stug

abyjem
13-12-2009, 08:26 PM
LOL, I had forgotten about ankle chains, such a classy item of jewellery, is it only hookers that buy them do you think?

lol - When I was on holiday in Egypt this year all the Russian girls seemed to have them :-"

I have to say, those cash for gold ads really do annoy me - they are so cretinous! especially the one sponsoring Neighbours - I just want to poke that bloke's eyes out! he makes me cringe!!!

Bigwol
14-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Try Scrapgold (http://www.scrapgolduk.co.uk/) I've found them to be fair.

Dano
21-12-2009, 04:45 PM
the way the scam ones work is that it relies on two presumptions, one from each party.

the buyer presumes that the seller knows nothing of market value.
the seller presumes the buyer is going to give them a fair price.

all they're doing is making an offer at first, it can be a lowball offer as hell but if the seller accepts it, all's fair. a lot of people just send their gold in and take whatever they get offered because "that's what it was appraised at".

not illegal, but decidedly dubious.

Charlotte
21-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Noooooooooo take up casting! I would totally give it a go if I had some spare metal;)