PDA

View Full Version : Copper Art Clay

Fiona
07-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Has anyone tried the new copper Art Clay - the one that has the shorter firing time and no flaffing about with containers and charcoal?

MuranoSilver
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
On my list of things to do ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
No - but I'm waiting to see what it is like as my kiln is too small to fit any size of stainless steel container into it....:'(...so I've not been able to play so far!

Fiona
08-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Oooo I want to find out what its like ...

MuranoSilver
01-01-2010, 02:13 PM
It's fabulous! :)

SilverBlueberry
22-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Murano, I saw that you have kiln-fired your AC copper clay. Do you know anything about torch firing it? I torch-fired for three minutes and tried to keep the piece red all the time (succeeded pretty well), but when I removed it from the pickle it didn't sound like metal, more like clay. I brushed a little bit with a steel brush and definitely see some copper shine, but it was too late to try anything else.

Have you noticed how your pieces sound when you remove them from the kiln or the pickle? I know my silver pieces sound like metal, so I wonder if I should fire my copper pieces for longer..

MuranoSilver
22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry not tried torch as prefer the reliability of the kiln.
there's a few that have though - here's one :)
The Beadful Life @ beadFX: Torch Firing Copper Clay! (http://beadfx.blogspot.com/2009/12/torch-firing-copper-clay.html)
Nic x

SilverBlueberry
22-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks Nic!

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I have tried it and it is much easier to use than the other versions I had tried. (I don't like using the steel box technique as it sheds oxide everywhere). You have to take it out and quench it quickly to get rid of as much oxide as possible. I haven't had a chance to try enamelling on to it yet.

I have also had students try the new Prometheus Bronze clay and it was really easy to use. They had no metal clay experience at all and I hadn't used it...... the pictures are on my blog entry 17th March 2010. Enamelling in progress (http://lynne-glazzard.blogspot.com/)

Found a pic of my earlier copper clay ring now
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynne_glazzard/4293868962/

FVT
29-04-2010, 02:27 PM
At last....I have placed my first order for some copper clay today :-) As I've only been using silver clay to date, I am sure there will be a few teething pains to sort through, especially as I hope to have success just using a torch. Interested to know anyone's experiences....ultimately I want to enamel onto it, fingers crossed!

FiredSilver
29-04-2010, 03:00 PM
wowsers! I just did a double take on your avatar pic! I made a pendant really, really similar to that - my hubby created the design for me then I created the photopolymer plate! Spooky!!

I've used Art Clay Copper - personally I wasn't keen on the texture of it and have gone back to CopprClay (but you have to kiln fire) but its a great option for anyone who doesn't have a kiln.

HTH

Becci
xx

The pic was in my album - see, spooky!

FVT
29-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Ooh that IS spooky! Great minds thing alike eh? ;-) I also made a mould from photopolymer plate, and based the design on a large seawood 'pod' thingy I found on a beach in Australia last year :-) Is that hot or cold enamel you've used? Mine was an early experiment using lead-free enamels, interesting seeing how the texture comes through...mine reminds me of a little rock pool :-)

Anyway, went off on a tangent there....thanks for your view on Art clay copper...I have my doubts and am expecting a little disappointment, but curiousity got the better of me! Be interested to see your results?

Thanks!

FiredSilver
29-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Its traditional enamel, and there are 3 different colours of blue in there.

My copper pieces are waiting to go in the kiln. I went down to the studio and forgot to take the firing schedule with me! Hoping to get down there tomorrow and fire them. I'll post my results.

Becci
xx

FVT
29-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Ooh great! Can't wait to see the results :-) I feel all pessimistic about firescale issues? One of the reasons I love fine silver, it's a doddle in that respect!

FVT
30-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Got my 50gms of copper clay ready and waiting...bit scared of it, but hope to dive in and try a little bit tonight :-) Any last minute advice much appreciated!

Lou
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I have only used the copprclay so far but I hate the mess of the firing pan, I wouldn't mind trying the promethius (sp) bronze clay as the firing schedule for the bronzclay is just an effort!

FVT
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Success last night with my first copper clay firings. No firing pan involved Lou, easy peasy torch firing only :-) 5 minutes, quench in water to remove firescale, then pickle...simple! I really need a tumbler though to help with the polishing stage.

Lou
03-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Success last night with my first copper clay firings. No firing pan involved Lou, easy peasy torch firing only :-) 5 minutes, quench in water to remove firescale, then pickle...simple! I really need a tumbler though to help with the polishing stage.

I need a tumbler and a pickle pot...the list goes on and on