PDA

View Full Version : Blackening silver

Oakenelf
07-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Please can someone tell me how to get silver to go black in the creases - it is an effect you usually see on celtic designs, where the outside is polished bright and all the knotwork is really blackened giving an aged effect?
thanks x

Oakenelf
07-11-2009, 06:39 PM
just found the answer in another post - Im off to boil an egg

(Sorry Jayne forgot the bit about Milo trying to clean it with bicarb, you could try using the egg as Jayne suggested for the sake of experimentation, just boil an egg cut it up ( it oxidises really quickly if the egg is hot) and place the piece you want to oxidise in with it in a bag or box dont leave to long as the piece will go black you just want it to go slightly tarnished i guess. You might even like the look of the piece once it has been oxidised lol x)

MuranoSilver
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I use platinol. It's a nasty chemical but you can apply it with a toothpick into the creases.
Once it's black wash it off and you don't have so much cleaning off of the rest to do.
nic x

The Dragon
07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
And if a tooth pick is a bit large you can always use a sacrifical bit of wire if you have a steady hand.

lucy81
08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I use liver of sulphur (though the boiled egg method is probably cheaper, I have never tried the other alternatives).

Oxidising Solution 500 Ml Un2818c - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Oxidising-Solution-500-Ml-Un2818c-prcode-998-161)

Dilute the liver of sulphur in warm water (follow instructions for the right quantities) and drop your piece into the mixture. It doesn't take too long for it to all go black. Then you just buff with soft wire wool and polish it up on the outside, the crevices will remain black

glen
09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
heat will cause oxidation in most metals (especially a flame with a high oxygen content) , i have used enamel for a nice glossy finish, or buy oxidation fluid, I have also heard that lemon or orange can cause oxidation too, I never knew about the egg thing :)

mizgeorge
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I use both platinol and liver of sulphur (I find the results differ a lot between the two). You can now get a LoS gel, which has a much better shelf life than the powdered or liquid version and is extremely easy to use.

I happily oxidised with an egg for a long time though.

mizgeorge
09-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Very refained of you JJ (in best Hyacinth Bucket accent).

Yes. That's the stuff. Stinky but effective.

Boo
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I have also heard that lemon or orange can cause oxidation too,
I suspect that you're swapping that round - lemon juice should remove it. I use citric acid as a pickle - which is the raw acid in citrus fruits - as you probably figured. I have pickled with a lemon before today - it certainly works, if not very practical.

bustagasket
10-11-2009, 06:22 AM
I am sure a chick in my college class used liver of sulphur to oxidise her slits.

That really doesnt sound right

Wolfie75
13-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I tried the egg method and failed miserably, so now I use platinaol....wow is it good, just make sure you use all the precautions to use it....it has melted my brushes!! I also use heat as a way ti create a nice patina, especially effective if used with flux.....now if only I can work the photo thingy I will post an example!...xc
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NjzAF6-S4l0/SqFNa8HNNRI/AAAAAAAAANM/25qxA91QFfg/s1600-h/IMGP9499.JPG

ok so that did not work, have a look at the Life is peachy on my blog, but only if you can be bothered...lolxxxc

AlexandraBuckle
13-11-2009, 09:03 AM
yeah platinol is great - but pheeewwww - its very smelly!

Gemma
13-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Really cool effect Clair

Wolfie75
13-11-2009, 09:11 AM
why thank you for taking the time to look...xc

Solunar Silver Studio
13-11-2009, 10:08 AM
now if only I can work the photo thingy I will post an example!

I find the best way to attach a photo is by using the paperclip. If you have your photo saved on your pc (try to change it to a low resolution if possible). Click on the paperclip icon on the toolbar (on the 'post' box) then find and upload your photo from your pc. Click on the paperclip again and you can 'manage' where you put your image. Hope this helps... I've never really got to grips with links to picture hosting sites!:">

Wolfie75
13-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Brilliant, thank you Barbara, will try that..xc