PDA

View Full Version : Free gifts as a marketing aid?

Boo
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
After the recent debacle with the postal strikes, my orders are noticeably down this last month or two. In July and August I had the best sales to date and since I went on holiday at the end of September, casual sales noticeably fell off. From anecdotal evidence from friends and neighbours and through e-mail enquiries sent to me etc., I suspect many people were put off buying through that period of uncertainty with the post.

We should be in the busiest time of year, yet it is slow just now compared to previous years at this time.

I wondered what experience people have had with offering incentives - does it make any actual difference to sales?

I was thinking of offering a free pair of earrings with each order - or maybe if an order totals more than a stated amount. I have two designs in mind to offer choice (one of which could be done in many colours) - which shouldn't be expensive for me to offer - largely my own time, which I'm willing to donate.

But I read the forums on other sites quite a lot, like Etsy - and a comment that comes up very often is that people are suspicious of freebies - some vehemently so. I have seen it said many times that if you can afford to include something extra, the buyer would just prefer that you dropped your prices.

I genuinely think, in these difficult economic times, that it would just be a nice thing to do as we approach the festive season - to spread a little gesture of goodwill - and I will stand the costs.

Has anyone had any experience of running such a campaign yourself, or how would you feel about it as a customer?

The Dragon
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I can only answer from a buyers point of view.

The people I buy display items from send me cheap and I have to say tacky toys with their branding on when I order which for some reason I find vaguely insulting and in their case would prefere a cheaper product.

All of the lampwork artists include a free orphan bead or two as does sowzeree with her silks. It is always apreciated as the quality is good and the items don't go to waste. However if they stopped sending them it wouldn't be a great deal for me as the original product is purchased because it inspired me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the idea could work in the right context (I don't think you could ever do cheap and tacky). Have you thought about doing a 'special' offering it for a limited period of time using the Christmas angle to see how it goes. You can always extend the offer a bit longer if it works, Cookson's do it all the time. :)

Sorry I'm not being much help am I?

Boo
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
No, that is helpful, this is what I want to hear.

I certainly don't want to go down the route of fridge magnets or something - they have very limited value I suspect. What I want to include is either a simple pair of fire polished crystal and Sterling earrings - I've sold a lot of them at craft fairs as they have a low unit price and are pretty party wear and I can do them in a dozen or more colours, with an alternative option of some little copper hearts. Some of those are just waiting for the tumbler, so I can photograph what I have in mind later.

I was thinking of doing it just up to Christmas as a little Christmas and thank you gift to customers from me.

snow_imp
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Were you thinking about giving people a choice of the free gift they get - 'cos as we know from the forum, there are still people who do not have pierced ears so might not appreciate something they cannot wear themselves.

Admittedly, they might be happy to give them away when they get them. :)

Jayne
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I think it's really tricky.
If you're selling to a new customer it might create the wrong impression, but I think that if you can target this offer towards people who have already bought from you, people who already know that you produce quality jewellery, then it could prove to be a useful tool for generating repeat sales.
Would you be able to discriminate?
J x

Boo
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
there are still people who do not have pierced ears so might not appreciate something they cannot wear themselves.
Good point, I meant to add that I could offer a bag charm or something for anyone who doesn't have pierced ears. I have another idea for a non-jewellery item too - something I did for big spenders last year, but didn't market it in any way. But that would take more work.

If you're selling to a new customer it might create the wrong impression
In what way might it give the wrong impression? The hope would be to encourage new customers with an incentive, as well as reward existing or repeat buyers with a thank you gift.

if you can target this offer towards people who have already bought from you, people who already know that you produce quality jewellery, then it could prove to be a useful tool for generating repeat sales.
In some ways, they're not necessarily the ones I want to attract - hopefully they already know my quality and level or service, so I'd be thanking them for their custom, rather than trying to entice them to buy for the first time.

Would you be able to discriminate?
Yes, I have the ability within my shop system to see how many orders someone has placed etc., but that would rather undermine the idea I think. I don't want to discriminate between customers and treat some better than others - that would negate my ability to use it for marketing purposes and not really in the spirit of what I was hoping to do.

One easy way to differentiate would be to make it conditional upon a particular minimum spend, but that doesn't feel in the spirit of my intention either.

lesley
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
My gut reaction is that a low value gift wouldn't encourage sales. I would be suspicious or say, "Just knock it off the price".

I love it when bead makers give extras but they don't advertise this and, as Annie said, I wouldn't stop buying if the freebies stopped.

Don't you think that if someone is looking for some quality handmade jewellery a small free gift isn't really going to swing it either way?

Ominicci
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Boo do you just mean for online sales? Or at stands aswell?

I have bought a few things this year and got a freebie that I didn't know about - which made it all the more nicer - one from overseas who sent me a free ring with the one I bought from him, and a small dragonfly Charm from Lynne at the DragonFly Company when I bought some jump rings from her and some extra spacer beads from Julie Fountain of Lushlampwork and a free cab from Designer Cabs. I don't know if any of them do this for all their orders or only those over a certain value (these were all over £50), but they certainly didn't advertise it. And it does make me more inclined to do repeat orders with those people rather than new suppliers :D

If you advertise freebies it could work both for and against you as you have already mentioned.

I am planning to give mini polishing cloths with orders over a certain amount but not sure if I would necessarily advertise it... will watch discussion with interest...:popcorn:

mizgeorge
06-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I tend to include a gift (earrings or cufflinks usually) with orders over a certain value. I also pop a small polishing cloth in with larger silver stuff. It definitely helps, particularly with new customers. For existing customers, I generally offer a discount on subsequent purchases, which I believe has prompted additional orders.

I also add something (usually a clasp or pair of earwires) with larger findings orders.

However, I also think sales are down for the time of year. I'm not hugely despondent about it yet, I suspect a lot of people are just leaving their gift shopping a little later than usual. Or that's what I'm hoping anyway!

Petal
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Boo do you just mean for online sales? Or at stands aswell?

I have bought a few things this year and got a freebie that I didn't know about - which made it all the more nicer - one from overseas who sent me a free ring with the one I bought from him, and a small dragonfly Charm from Lynne at the DragonFly Company when I bought some jump rings from her and some extra spacer beads from Julie Fountain of Lushlampwork and a free cab from Designer Cabs. I don't know if any of them do this for all their orders or only those over a certain value (these were all over £50), but they certainly didn't advertise it. And it does make me more inclined to do repeat orders with those people rather than new suppliers :D

If you advertise freebies it could work both for and against you as you have already mentioned.

I am planning to give mini polishing cloths with orders over a certain amount but not sure if I would necessarily advertise it... will watch discussion with interest...:popcorn:

Interesting thread this! I think Barbara (Solunar Studio) gives customers a complimentary pack of, (I think), polishing cloth, anti tarnish tabs and ear studs etc. I think this would be regarded very favourably with customers, rather than the idea of a free pair of earrings/bag charm, as I think they would just think that if you put your prices down, then they would buy more. As a result of Barbara's post I have started giving a complimentary pack with my sterling silver or rolled gold purchases, but not my plated stuff that I do for children. Every time I have done this, I have had a very favourable response and more purchases have been made by customers.

hope that helps.

xx

Petal
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
For existing customers, I generally offer a discount on subsequent purchases, which I believe has prompted additional orders.

Ah, now that's an excellent idea George and one I shall be adopting at my next event :Y: Thanks for that.

x

Di Sandland
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I copied Barbara's lead as well - and people love it.

Boo
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I already include a little accessory pack in a printed envelope with anti-tarnish tab, ziploc bag and a selection of ear nuts (just those with orders including earrings) with most orders anyway and have included little polishing cloths in the past when I could get them at a good price - but I've run out of those at the moment. I see those as a part of the sale and wouldn't consider those much of a freebie - they cost very little, but they've had good comments.

I've given discount codes out for both new customers and repeat business and none have been used yet.

I'm not doing any fairs this season it would appear - so that's a moot point at the moment - but I look after personal customers too.

I feel that I already look after customers well - but this was something to use as a marketing angle as well.

Looks like I needn't bother then. Thanks for the help.

caroleallen
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd say hold your horses as on-line sales are beginning to pick up now since the postal strike ended. I've had 3 so far today, which bodes well, I think. I wouldn't want to put you off offering free gifts, but I don't really think it's necessary.

shelliem
06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
When people give me something extra without telling me it makes me smile and I want to do business with them again and I would recommend them to others.

I'm not sure if a freebie would swing it but I would consider buying two items instead of the one item I originally wanted if there was an offer for something extra that I liked. (I hope I've explained this clearly :-O )

I've a couple of suggestions but not sure how useful they will be ... word of mouth marketing is really valuable how about offering an incentive to your customers to recommend you to others? Or even send out a marketing research questionnaire to your customers to see what they want to see/have etc. maybe you could include an incentive for replies?

Boo
06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear sales are picking up caroleallen. I've been busy with commissions recently, but fewer sales from stock items in the shop.

word of mouth marketing is really valuable
Indeed - my best customers are friends of other good customers.

how about offering an incentive to your customers to recommend you to others?
That was exactly the idea that sent me down this thought process in the first place. I was thinking along the idea of awarding 'points' for every customer someone recommends, that could then be redeemed against goods or specific incentive items. But after talking it through, we decided that it had too much potential to get unnecessarily complicated - and I don't have anything at present within my shop cart system to manage that for me. So we decided a free gift might be easier to manage and much more straightforward.

There's no point in sending out mailings, in my system when you sign up as a customer, you have to tick a box to consent to be on the mailing list (or you can sign up to it without registering on the site) - and very few of my customers actually tick the box - and just looking at those on the list, I've 'spoken' to about half of them in the last 10 days anyway.

shelliem
06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Hmmm I wasn't sure if it would be useful, but worth a try.

I wanted to attempt some help since you always seem to be so helpful. I hope you manage to find a solution soon and business picks up.

Boo
06-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Thank you - and I do very much appreciate the ideas. All of the ideas posted.

I was curious too as to whether anyone else had tried something similar themselves and found it successful, but it doesn't sound like it amongst regular posters.

MuranoSilver
06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't put in free gift as habit but sometimes I'll include a little extra.
e.g. sometimes I'll pop an extra stacker ringin my sets with a different pattern on.
The main thing I tend to do is write a little note which I include with my care card. It thanks them for buying handmade. A discount against future purchase
sounds like another possibility. If I can work it into my shop
Nic x

Boo
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I've always erred towards something extra, or upgrading some aspect of the order, rather than a straight financial discount as it's generally more economical. The cost to you of including something extra is the raw materials to you.

For example, I offer an upgrade on bracelets to Sterling silver for copper or plated ones at £6. I recently re-made a copper one in silver for a good customer (amongst several pieces ordered), but didn't charge her the upgrade. The discount was worth 6 quid to her, so she was pretty pleased, but it only cost me the difference in the wire - less than £6.

SilverBlueberry
07-11-2009, 08:40 AM
As a buyer I sometimes get extra stones when I buy stones - which I Really appreciate. As a seller I usually write a personal message on a nice art postcard, and I get positive feedback on that. It's nothing big but it seems as if it's appreciated.

Since I've recently started making soap, I've been thinking of including a small soap, but I haven't decided about that..

Boo
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I certainly always hand write a salutation in with orders. I tend to include one of my own greetings cards, but I've printed it inside with a standard 'thanks for your order, hope it reaches you safely, contact me with any problems etc. etc.' but I've left room to write in and always add something personal.

For the record, as I've just listed them and finished the photos - these are one of the earring options I was considering and a silver option with crystals. I doubt I'll bother with using it as marketing though now.

earrings9751f on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/4088678845/)

Lindyloo
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Those are really cute Boo. Perhaps they could just be a really cheap range for people to buy with pocket money at shows?

amazingbabe
10-11-2009, 10:30 AM
They are really cute boo, if i was you i would offer them at a pretty low price say to people who have purchased an order over £50 maybe and market it that way ???? ;)

Boo
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I've already got those particular ones for sale, so I'm just going to make some little goodies up - I have several ideas - and just give something extra to each customer as I go along, according to what they've ordered. Just as a festive thank you from me, no marketing involved. Just because I'd like to. Because sometimes it's just nice to do something nice.

Perhaps they could just be a really cheap range for people to buy with pocket money at shows?
So . . . my work is really cheap pocket money pieces, poorly made and of unoriginal designs. Great, you lot have done my ego a world of good this week. Thanks.

Lisa Quinn
10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
That is such a lovely, generous, kind and selfless gesture, big hug to you for being a warm, caring person xx[/QUOTE]

I've already got those particular ones for sale, so I'm just going to make some little goodies up - I have several ideas - and just give something extra to each customer as I go along, according to what they've ordered. Just as a festive thank you from me, no marketing involved. Just because I'd like to. Because sometimes it's just nice to do something nice.

So . . . my work is really cheap pocket money pieces, poorly made and of unoriginal designs. Great, you lot have done my ego a world of good this week. Thanks.

Petal
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Whooooooooooooa here. Boo, I don't think anyone was suggesting your jewellery was cheap, poorly made rubbish. [] I assume they mentioned a lower cost item, as times are very hard and people love the idea of a little something extra - that all. Some people call £10 expensive, while others think its spending money - its all perception isn't it!

Those heart earrings in your link earlier are absolutely gorgeous and I'd love them as a complimentary gift if I'd bought some of your jewellery.

(This was a quick pop in over tea, as I'm finishing ordering stuff... so must go back to doing that, otherwise I'll get nothing done).

back later

love xx

Lindyloo
10-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Oh Boo, that's so not what I meant. I was just following the idea others have had regarding having less expensive pieces. No-one listens to me anyway. I think I'll just go and do something I actually am good at, like knitting or something.:(|

Di Sandland
10-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Linda, its not for me to speak on behalf of Boo but I think she's being a tad oversensitive. There have been no derogatory remarks made about her work at all, people have simply been putting across their points of view and their preferred way of doing things. Some of those methods differ from Boo's - none of them are right or wrong, they are simply different.

People do listen to you and you're to stay right where you are - here on the forum. Your comment was simply in context and, to my mind, wasn't offensive in any way.

Boo is being naughty.

Di

Lindyloo
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much for saying that Di. I have to say I am feeling rather sensitive myself today, and I hate to think I am ever insulting anyone.

lesley
10-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Boo who has been slagging off your work?

I really don't think anyone has.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was a discussion in another thread and some people used a different method to Boo. It didn't sound to me in the least bit like a criticism - it's just that we're all so different. []

Jayne
10-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Boo who has been slagging off your work?

I have seen a handful of less than tactful comments over the past week or so....
J x

Jayne
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
I have seen a handful of less than tactful comments over the past week or so....

sorry - just to confirm - I'm not referring to Lindyloo :)
J x

Lindyloo
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank you for your comments Jason. I really appreciate it. I really did not intend to upset Boo at all.

lesley
11-11-2009, 02:56 AM
sorry - just to confirm - I'm not referring to Lindyloo :)
J x

Oh, flippin' eck! Is it me and I've not even realised?

pauljoels
24-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I realise this is a good week or two old now (and I haven't posted in ages, so I am catching up with a lot of posts), but I do think that an extra suprise freebie can be great. Like others here, I get sent all sorts of crap from certain companies - printers etc, who send me cheap business gifts that I wouldn't dare to even consider giving to someone unless I wanted to insult them.

However, I do believe there is a place for good quality free piece of smaller jewellery that the person was not expecting - I would perhaps consider not advertising the fact that I was going to give the buyer a freebie, but retain the customer once they have purchased - if they do not expect the free earrings, then they will be a really nice suprise - make a note of those customers who you did this with and see how much repeat business you get from them in the future. It'll probably also generate you some word of mouth advertising which I believe is better than anything paid for in print/screen etc. Oh and make sure they know it's free - perhaps adapt your note to say thank you for buying from you, and here's a little something extra for them to enjoy. You don't want people getting in touch thinking you got their order wrong!

Just to finish, (and I know this has been said elsewhere), I think the general problem with freebies, is that people then have an expectation, but also there is a perception is it really worth buying in order to get the free product worth £x? Like when Cookson's do their freepost deals - I personally don't get excited about them in the slightest, because it only saves me a couple of pounds, and I'm not going to add £20 to my order simply to qualify in order to save £2.