PDA

View Full Version : Which course??

Tigerlily
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi all

Hope you are all well on this grey cold morning ... brrrr!!!

I am thinking of starting the fine jewellery level 1 part time course at School of Jewellery in Birmingham - has anybody done it/doing it?

Have been looking at courses local to me in Solihull, and seem to be struggling to find a part time course to suit, most seem to be in beading and wirework, which I already have some experience in, but was really wanting to get into silverwork too!!;) I was also thinking of trying to find an experienced jeweller/maker who could maybe give some 1:1 lessons, which then maybe could be more tailored to my existing work??? Does anybody know if they exist or can recommend? Oooooh I don't know so many thoughts swimming round in my tiny brain lol!!!

Thanks again

Michelle

Emerald
06-11-2009, 08:48 AM
its a long time since i was at the jewellery college but it is a great place i think there is someone elso on hear that goes she may be of more help about the courses, where abouts in Solihull are you x

Tigerlily
06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Jo

Thanks for that! Did you enjoy it? What did you do?

I am in Marston Green, just by the NEC, how about you? xx

Emerald
06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Michelle

I loved every minute of it, it has to be one of my best memories i did a two year course in learning the basics and stone setting but it wasent the big posh place it is now it was a run down rickety old place but with a great atmosphere there where only about 60 students. :)

Tigerlily
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi Jo, sounds great fun!! Am a bit unsure though as I feel a bit too old to be going back to school :"> But then, you are never too old to learn hey!! Do you know of any local courses/workshops that might be good start for a beginner? Sorry seems like I am bombarding you with Q's :">

Michelle x

Emerald
06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
You are never to old i would love to go back to college and learn more. I used to teach at Arden nightschool but that stopped a few years ago now, i would offer but i really havent got the set up at home to teach at the mo there used to be something in the quater i think in the big peg it might be worth popping in there and i also saw in cookies new mag about Artshed Arts in Hertfordshire but they may be to far.

mizgeorge
06-11-2009, 09:53 AM
The Artshed is only a few minutes from where my parents live. I keep meaning to go and check out the new jewellery facility there - it looks quite interesting.

Tigerlily
06-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Awww thanks Jo, thats really lovely of you to offer, :ta: but completely understand about working from home, as I have my workspace here too, and it can become a nightmare at times with brides traipsing through, and a rampaging 3 yr and 9 month old lol. Will have a look at the Big Peg and see if they have anything, thanks for the advice, much appreciated :flowers:
Michelle x

Emerald
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
The Artshed is only a few minutes from where my parents live. I keep meaning to go and check out the new jewellery facility there - it looks quite interesting.

I have just googled it George meant to when i saw the cookie mag it looks really interesting they are looking for a someone to teach ! and they have exibition space x