PDA

View Full Version : Autumnal Leaf

Milomade
05-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi there

This is what I'm working on at the moment - I'm loving it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4077218283_f88351339a.jpg

More pics and info on my blog (http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2009/11/autumnal-leaf/)

bustagasket
05-11-2009, 01:14 PM
oh my thats lovely! how big is it?

Ominicci
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
OMG that is beautiful!!! I love the sanded texture - you're not going to make it shiny again are you?

Di Sandland
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Evie, its beautiful!

Milomade
05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I love scratchy tectured surfaces so no I'm not going to make it all shiny and polished. It used to be a teaspoon, so that's how big it is - if you cllick on the blog link there's an image in there with it resting on my hand and that will give youa sense of scale.

lesley
05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I love the indents on the side. Is that really just from filing?

mizgeorge
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
That's lovely :)

You mentioned having problems with filing the inside bits - try using your saw blade as a file after you've pierced the shapes - tiny little movements are all that's needed, and it's much easier than trying to fit a needle file into such small spaces, especially at the ends.

MuranoSilver
05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh Evie that's looking sooooo good :)

Milomade
05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
try using your saw blade as a file after you've pierced the shapes - tiny little movements are all that's needed, and it's much easier than trying to fit a needle file into such small spaces, especially at the ends.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try that!
The indents are done by filing - very carefully at first in order to get a line/groove to work to.

I'm not sure how I'm going to hang this from a chain. I gues I need to solder something on to the back for a chain to run through rather than drilling a hole at the top for a jump ring.

Any sugestions from the experts?

Emerald
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
brilliant Evie your recycling ideas are amazing.

How about soldering a piece of tube onto the back shame you cut off the rest of the spoon you could have hammered that and folded it over.

When you are transferring a design on to metal draw it onto a piece of tracing paper then roll some pasticine over the metal and retrace the drawing, this will leave an impression on the plasticine and then you can just use a scriber to make it more visibe and it will only leave a very faint line easy enough to sandpaper off. :)

Milomade
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I know - I had to cut the whole handle off to make a ring - as it was a teaspoon, I need all of the handle as the rings are quite small. I've only got tiny tube and reluctant o spend more money at CG as I've spent so much over the past few months. So maybe I use some of my 0.3mm sheet and make a small tube from that to fit.

Jayne
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
That is so beautiful - really tactile - love the texture mmmmm.....
J x

Boo
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
I thought I'd already replied, but seemingly not. It looks lovely - the photo on your blog on your hand showing the indentations in the sides looks especially nice - it's going to have a lovely shape when finished.

I often put bails on polymer clay pendants by making a U shape of heavy wire and I drill a pair of wee holes in the clay (positioned vertically) part way through the thickness *** and glue the wire into the holes - you could do something similar with silver and solder it on, so it would be invisible from the front. That would give you a D shaped bail behind the leaf.

*** The Archimedes drill we were talking about recently is ideal for this as I can measure just how many turns/pumps of the drill to get the depth of hole I want, to ensure the drill doesn't pop out on the right side. You have enough control when it's that slow.

Milomade
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
that sounds like a great idea - I've got some 2mm wire and that thickness is actually perfect for the top of the pendant - excellent will try that out later once I've finished a load of design work I'm doing for a particularly picky client [groan]

Ominicci
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Boo that is what I have done on the back of 2 of my flower pendants (in the 'items sent for hallmarking' pictures). In class we were taught to make our 'D' from a jumpring sawn in half (make sure it's big enough when cut in half). The blade needs to cut through both sides of the jump ring at the same time so that both cuts are level for soldering on to a level surface - but just realised the back of Evie's spoon bowls will be curved so that doesn't really apply #-o (good tip for others though). We also were taught to do the drill holes a tiny part the way through the metal; fill the holes each with a piece of melted solder, then 'dap' the 'D' loop down on to the melted solder and hold it there after taking the flame away. The ends of the 'D' sit in the holes neatly (make sure the hole is big enough to take the gauge of wire you are using) and help make sure you get it in the right place as it can slide in the solder otherwise.

Milomade
05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
not sure I'd feel confident doing the drilling on this piece as it's curved. Not got time to do this tonight either as I've spent most of the evening in the bathroom with the dog - the loud fan stops her hearing the bangs of the fireworks going off outside which she's terrified of. Not looking forward to walkies later as if she hears abang she bolts off and cowers and hides and becomes impossible to find or recall.

Boo
05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
In class we were taught to make our 'D' from a jumpring sawn in half (make sure it's big enough when cut in half). The blade needs to cut through both sides of the jump ring at the same time so that both cuts are level for soldering on to a level surface
I must admit, I don't think I'd do it that way - if you cut a ring, the bail silver would be curved along it's entire form and not as likely to make a reliable join. Seems like making an easy job harder. Why cut a ring when you can work with a straight length.

I'd prefer to just form a straight sided U around an appropriately sized bit of some pliers or mandrel with 2 straight arms so that if they do go into a drilled hole they make a good straight bond - otherwise you have curved metal into a straight hole, which isn't as likely to make a good solder join.

When I do it with clay, I make a pencil smudge on each of the ends of the U and rub it onto the clay to make marks to drill.

If the spoon/leaf is curved, it might need arms of different length to project perpendicular to the back.

agent_44
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
That is just beautiful, I absolutely love it!

Coco
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
*** The Archimedes drill we were talking about recently is ideal for this as I can measure just how many turns/pumps of the drill to get the depth of hole I want, to ensure the drill doesn't pop out on the right side. You have enough control when it's that slow.

Hahahahahaha! I broke mine! it's now lying in various places around my room #-o

Jayne
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Hahahahahaha! I broke mine! it's now lying in various places around my room #-o

have you been sleeping with the tools again?
J x

HannahJewelleryDesigns
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous! :Y:

Coco
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
have you been sleeping with the tools again?
J x

Lol, no! I think the archimedes drill got jealous of the sawblade and self destructed :-D

Jayne
06-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Lol, no! I think the archimedes drill got jealous of the sawblade and self destructed :-D

relationships in the workplace always end in tears :N:
J x

Ominicci
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I must admit, I don't think I'd do it that way - if you cut a ring, the bail silver would be curved along it's entire form and not as likely to make a reliable join. Seems like making an easy job harder. Why cut a ring when you can work with a straight length.

If the spoon/leaf is curved, it might need arms of different length to project perpendicular to the back.

I know what you mean about it being curved along it's entire form and yes that wouldn't do for some things, but we were doing beginners stuff and cutting it that way meant the ends of the 'prongs' were already flat for soldering on to a flat surface (I think the tutor was trying to keep it easy for us!). But you are right about Evie probably needing arms of a different length to accommodate for the curve.

In future I will try making bails from a straight length, to suit the design of the piece I work on - thanks for the info :Y:

Gemma
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Beautiful! Can't belive it use to be a spoon

lilacmonkey
06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
oooohhhh i love that.
stu g:Y:

shelliem
06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Me too, its beautiful and really different.

Mila Jewellery
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
This is beautiful - I love the surface being sanded, fab idea to use a spoon too :Y:

Milomade
07-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm going to be finishing it off tomorrow as well as starting on a few more - really looking forward to a day of making. Not sure what kind of chain would suit this best - got to get the CG catalogue out and have a look through.

Milomade
08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I've made three pendants now:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4086513309_fdfa887f80.jpg

More info and images on my blog:
Three Leaf Pendants (http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2009/11/three-leaf-pendants/)

I think I want to get snake chains for these, but CG don't have the end caps in stock, so wondering whether cable chain would be a good alternative. What do you think?

Any other suggestions for chains?
My belcher 3 is a little too thick and just doesn't suit the leaves at all.

Boo
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
They look fabulous finished, really nice work.

Snake chain is the one that I do buy complete and my current items are on Cookson's 16" and 18" snakes - they work out under £6 each.

The recent 'Hammered Sterling silver heart pendant' in my album is on one.

Mila Jewellery
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
oh they really do look fab :Y: I think snake chain would work best, keep it simple so it doesn't detract from the leaf ;)

Tigerlily
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow thats really beautiful!! Love it!!

Michelle x

Milomade
08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
not sure I could buy complete chains as I don't think the ends wouldn't fit through the loops I've created. What is the diameter of the end caps on the finished chains?

Boo
08-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Hang on, I'll nip downstairs and measure one - but they're very slim, barely wider than the chain itself.

Boo
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
The chain itself that I have is 1.08mm in diameter (presumably the 1mm one - I can't remember without looking, but I think they do a thinner one too) and the end is 2.2mm at its widest.

Milomade
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I've got 2mm wire and that fits through 2 of them but not the other, so if they're flat rather than round and are 2.2mm at the widest then, they might fit through - not sure I want to risk it though.

snow_imp
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Those leaves look lovely.

Emerald
09-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I've got 2mm wire and that fits through 2 of them but not the other, so if they're flat rather than round and are 2.2mm at the widest then, they might fit through - not sure I want to risk it though.

I have bought Chain where the ends have been to big, i have just flattened them posted them through and reshaped them with round pliers.

Gemma
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Amazing! I think snake would be bestest too. You could always be patient, they may be back in stock soon (or hunt around elsewhere) ;)

Milomade
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I just phoned CG and they're going to be getting new stock on the 17th. I would prefer to get something this week, so I can have these pendants on show at my next craft fair on Saturday. Wondered is this type of chain would be OK?

Sterling-Silver-Beading-Chain (http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/LooseChain/SterlingSilverLooseChain/Sterling-Silver-Beading-Chain-1.0mm-11302.aspx)
Sterling-Silver-Beading-Chain-Style-2 (http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/LooseChain/SterlingSilverLooseChain/Sterling-Silver-Beading-Chain-Style-2-11719.aspx)

Milomade
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
is there anywhere else I can buy loose snake chain and end caps?

Gemma
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I like both those beading chains. They could work well. Kernowcraft (http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/chains/sterling-silver-chains/sterling-silver-extra-fine-snake-chain-SN33/) have an extra fine finished chain which is 0.9mm diameter but it doesn't say what size the end caps are...

Gemma
09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Found some end caps here (http://www.beadaddict.co.uk/uk/finding7.htm)