PDA

View Full Version : Not an Official Workshop but...

Di Sandland
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Jules (Petal) and I spent a very happy, informative and confidence building day yesterday with (triumphant trumpets smilie here)... George.

We learned a lot and, as both of us have different styles of learning, it could have been awkward. Not a bit of it, we were both 'accommodated' - me watching and Jules doing, cos that's what each of us needed.

The value for me was not only in learning things I wanted to be able to do but in the reassurance that I'm correctly doing the things I taught myself.

And George can cook too!

I'll let Jules tell you her version but I know she was every bit as blown away as I was.

bustagasket
04-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Glad you both had a wonderful time, i think this sort of meet up is invaluable :D

Di Sandland
04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
To put faces to the names is brilliant, as is realising that many of us have the same apprehensions and we are all striving for the same thing - well finished, beautiful pieces of jewellery that people will want to buy!

Boo
04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
That sounds fabulous. Sounds like you had a very worthwhile and enjoyable day.

I've said many times that I'd love to just spend time with someone much more experienced than me to check I'm not doing things woefully wrongly, as I'm entirely self taught - and a lot of my techniques are derived from trial and error and just doing to see what works.

snow_imp
04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm so envious of you.

But I have just paid for my course with Nic so that'll keep me going for a little while. :dance:

Petal
04-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Di's right. The whole day was brilliant and to learn from The Queen of Maille along with meeting and spending time with Di was simply the best. A bit of a busy busy morning, but will tell you more when I get back - off out for half an hour....

xx

Kalorlo
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, that sounds lovely!

lesley
04-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Sounds fantastic - I'm sooooo jealous!

Petal
04-11-2009, 12:58 PM
To put faces to the names is brilliant, as is realising that many of us have the same apprehensions and we are all striving for the same thing - well finished, beautiful pieces of jewellery that people will want to buy!

I agree with Di. That's what jewellery making it is all about. Learning new skills in the correct way, or finding better ways to do something you have done many times before by someone who is the best and in an easily understandable manner is SO refreshing. As a total novice to working with silver, I was a little apprehensive beforehand, as I am not techically minded by any stretch of the immagination and wondered whether I would be able to deal with blow torches and all the things that working with silver involved. With George's patient instruction, the whole process was made so easy and relaxed and we had lots of laughs too. I don't think you ever stop learning, but there are good and bad teachers out there and Di and I were lucky enough to be taught by the immensley talented George. We were very fortunate indeed.

I would say if any of you are about to embark on a course, that you read as much as you can beforehand, it will help you understand the processes involved and prepare you for your course. I had read books in the last couple of weeks, plus many posts on tools and processes I haven't had experience of before and it was all very useful.

There was lots of laughter, tears too and it was a wonderful wonderful day that I shall never forget. [] Oh and that lunch George, that was absolutely FAB :Y:

BTW, if you ever need a cat sitter, count us in - we loved your cat to bits!

Petal
04-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Jules (Petal) and I spent a very happy, informative and confidence building day yesterday with (triumphant trumpets smilie here)... George.

We learned a lot and, as both of us have different styles of learning, it could have been awkward. Not a bit of it, we were both 'accommodated' - me watching and Jules doing, cos that's what each of us needed.

The value for me was not only in learning things I wanted to be able to do but in the reassurance that I'm correctly doing the things I taught myself.

And George can cook too!

I'll let Jules tell you her version but I know she was every bit as blown away as I was.

What can I say, words fail me.

Di's an absolute gem and a very special person. [] She is even more fun and chirpy in the flesh than on the forum and we laughed and cried over so many things that, as I mentioned before about our workshop, I just didn't want the day to end. It was a very special day and one I shall never forget.

xx

mizgeorge
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
You two are lovely :)

It was such fun for me too - I haven't ventured into teaching yet, and it was fab to have such wonderful guinea pigs to practice on! I couldn't have asked for nicer or more receptive students, and I hope there were a few lightbulb moments too! I should have taken some pictures though.

It was so nice to meet your OH too Jules - what a sweetheart he is - I know my hubby enjoyed his company as well.

I just hope the shopping lists haven't got too big as a result ;)

Thank you both also for such lovely gifts - I'm still giggling at the two legged parsnip, and I can officially confirm that Di was a very, very talented woodworker as well. I hope we can do it again sometime soon []

Di Sandland
04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm shopping as we speak :Y: (and my parsnip has three legs (or two legs and an awfully long appendage =:-O)

mizgeorge
04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm shopping as we speak :Y: (and my parsnip has three legs (or two legs and an awfully long appendage =:-O)

In that case, it might like to meet one of my carrots..... :-"

Di Sandland
04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
In that case, it might like to meet one of my carrots..... :-"

and together they could make... a parrot! (or a carsnip)

kymbi
04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
It sounds like you all had a whale of a time - such good fun meeting each other and learning to boot :D

Petal
04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
You two are lovely :)

It was such fun for me too - I haven't ventured into teaching yet, and it was fab to have such wonderful guinea pigs to practice on! I couldn't have asked for nicer or more receptive students, and I hope there were a few lightbulb moments too! I should have taken some pictures though.

It was so nice to meet your OH too Jules - what a sweetheart he is - I know my hubby enjoyed his company as well.

Thank you both also for such lovely gifts - I'm still giggling at the two legged parsnip, and I can officially confirm that Di was a very, very talented woodworker as well. I hope we can do it again sometime soon []

I've got 13 items in my shopping list so far.... mmm I think I might have to take a few things out, but I'll PM you with those reminders you mentioned yesterday. Oh George, we'd be more than happy to 'pop' down again, next time I'll remember to make the cheesecake !

and together they could make... a parrot! (or a carsnip)

Oh don't talk about my weird veggies, we've had some very funny shapes this year..... you should have seen the 'rejects' we have in the veggie store (the garage)! They are very funny, but are absolutely enormous. We dug one up a few days ago for ourselves and it weighed in at 2lb - I'm not sure if its the air or the soil, but it tasted delicious.

It was amusing listening to the two OH's talking as if they were sat by a fire in the pub... the world was certainly a better place in their minds, once they'd finished having their chat.

Oh I forgot, when we got back last night the cat was waiting for us... so we let her in and boy did we have a game ejecting her at midnight. She hid under my workbench in the hall and refused to come out (it was pouring with rain outside). I tried the trail of biscuits and then dragged the stick with the piece of string on the end and eventually slowly slowly we got her out of the door. She's sat next to me having a wash now purring away - probably plotting how she can avoid getting chucked out later on.

I'll post pictures of my, now very shiny hammer, courtesy of George in my previous hammering thread....

xx

Lindyloo
04-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh so jealous

MuranoSilver
05-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Oh my goodness it sounds like you both had a wonderful time & we definitely
need to see pictures (even if only of the two legged carrot!)
George if you enjoy it, you should look into teaching, I love my teaching sessions
it's so rewarding to help folks with new skills (or refining current ones) plus
the "refining of info" process helps us as much as the students :Y:
Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
05-11-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm so glad you met up and had a lovely time :)

Petal
05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys, there were no piccies taken, I'm afraid - we were too busy learning and laughing and ooohing and aghing !

xx

Ominicci
05-11-2009, 12:21 PM
*SLAP* * SLAP* *SLAP* (one for each of you) WOT NO PHOTOS????!!!!

What did you learn about then??? Both of you seem very talented already so what was George's 'Best Bit' for each of you.

(AND I went through Cirencester twice on Tuesday as I went to the WellChild Christmas Fair near Bourton - I could have popped in for a cuppa :'()

Di Sandland
05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Um, George's best bit for me, apart from her stupendous sweet potato and chili soup, was circle cutting and doming very closely followed by her 'simple' ways to do complicated things.

Then there was her cat, her daughter, her OH, her comfy house...

mizgeorge
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh Nicci - I wish I'd known - it would have been fab if you could have popped in :(

Don't you dare come past this way again without letting me know!

Petal
05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Um, George's best bit for me, apart from her stupendous sweet potato and chili soup, was circle cutting and doming very closely followed by her 'simple' ways to do complicated things.

Then there was her cat, her daughter, her OH, her comfy house...

I agree with the above, plus for me it has to be soldering, because I was absolutely terrified (though didn't say it) of having a go. After that it was the basket weave demo, beadcaps, hammering, wrapping, oooh too many things to mention. :Y:

Bliss.

Petal
05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=mizgeorge;21000]

QUOTE]

Well Guys, the first couple of items have finally arrived - my sand bag and digital calipers and next week my blowtorch, doming block and cutting disc will be coming too. So you can expect lots more 'how do you do that' type questions coming your way.

Here's the, probably very silly, first question I have to ask:-

Do you buy your fuel for your blowtorches in bulk from somewhere, or buy lots of lighters? surely not?

Oh XXX I've got to go and do dinner, back later... I promise!

:X

mizgeorge
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Butane cannisters from the supermarket - but if you have access to a costco, they're amazingly cheap there. Or cash and carry of course.

Petal
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Ah, thanks for that George. :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
You can get it everywhere... I get mine from the local Pound store...for £1....surprise, surprise!! But the supermarkets are good too ...like tescos...Google Image Result for http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/26/035026.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/26/035026.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Light_Bulbs_And_Candles/Ronson_Universal_Gas_Lighter_Refill_200ml.html&usg=__z_PUNTEa1ebfo6tPEVPq9X6z3Ps=&h=273&w=70&sz=9&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=MIR1JDRTRfY1BM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=29&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlighter%2Brefil%2Basda%2Buk%26hl%3Den %26safe%3Doff%26um%3D1) You can't complain at £1.25!!