PDA

View Full Version : I need a new enamelling kiln...

Oakenelf
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
please can someone reccommend a good trustworthy supplier for a small enamelling kiln.

MuranoSilver
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Warm Glass do small kilns as do silverclay.co.uk
George probably has a few she knows too :)
Nic x

The Dragon
03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Creative Glass uk do small kilns and they are ususlly a compeative price.

Oakenelf
03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks - I had a look on the sites recommended and found the PROMETHEUS Pro-1 -Anyone got one of these? any good? (I only have a small budget and don't want to waste money)
To be used with Latham vitreous enamel powders and Pmc/art clay.
Cheers

MuranoSilver
03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
The Prometheus is a great little kiln and will do all of that :)
Nic x

Oakenelf
05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Great! going to go and coerce the other half to see if he will chip in to buy one!
Thanks a million!

Solunar Silver Studio
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes - I have a Prometheus kiln and have been very happy with it. I do pmc and enamelling in it and it has been brilliant! I don't know what prices you have seen for it but I got mine from Art Clay Silver Clay Products by Joy Funnell (http://www.joyfunnell.co.uk/shop/?a=mag&p=1&cat_id=5) and at the time (spring 2008) it was the cheapest by far! I think she only sells one at a time so you might have to contact her if it still looks like good value compared to others. I know the Paragon kilns are a lot better and more flexible - but they also take up a lot more room (and use more power!). The Prometheus takes up the footprint of a book and seems to be very well insulated. Mine has about 15cm all round it - and obviously nothing above it except the shed roof about 60cm above - and nothing gets hot. It seems to use power at about the same rate as my iron and so is good value to run - unless you leave it on all day of course!!:D It certainly gets a :Y: from me!

Oakenelf
07-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Woo Woo ! New kiln on Payday.... Can't wait :)

Oakenelf
10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Just ordered my new kiln, current one wouln't heat toast! stand by!....