PDA

View Full Version : annealing wedding rings

Deborah
21-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi all
I'm trying to find some info on annealing wedding rings in all metals!! with no luck at all on the web, Can anyone offer any info on this i.e is it the same process with all metals.

Thanks.

MuranoSilver
21-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Deborah
It's different for different metals and sometimes it's different for different alloys of the same metal (e.g. Gold)!
What is it you're wanting to anneal?

Nicola x

Deborah
22-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Nicola
Thanks for your response 18ct yellow & white i understand that the process to do the annealing will all be the same but if you used different suppliers for the weds does the composition of there make up of the weds make a difference when you anneal? do i need to ask the supplier what percentages of each alloy make up there weds!!

Deborah

Charlotte
22-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, this is embarrassing, I thought annealing was just waiting for your metal to go red - and you just did that process every time your metal stiffened up again!? What should I be doing?:o

AlexandraBuckle
22-07-2009, 11:44 AM
*patiently waits for a reply to Charlottes question* :o

MuranoSilver
22-07-2009, 11:49 AM
There's a fabulous article on Ganoskin which goes into the physical make up of a white gold alloy HERE (http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/understanding-white-gold.htm)
It talks about how it might require slightly different treatment dependant on the metals within it.

The actual annealing temp for steling & gold would be just below the red heat stage and if you take it higher you risk making the metal more brittle.
Both metals will be slightly softer if quenching is used but it's important to do it at the right temperature (or risk upseting the metals structure).

Peter Rowe wrote a brilliant technical description of which golds need which treatments HERE (http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/9811/msg00090.htm)

Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
22-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow, thats great info - thanks Nic!
I've only done a little hot work and that was years ago at uni - I wasn't taught it in too much depth either.
Should definately start it up again.

Deborah
22-07-2009, 01:10 PM
HI Nicola
That information was great !!
Thanks alot
Debs.

ben b
01-08-2009, 10:47 PM

srlady1
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Yep excellent post, helped me a lot with my findings.. thanks

Hart-Star
28-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Metals, despite their outward appearance, are crystalline in structure, and when they freeze from the molten state a structure will form based on the mixture of metals and non-metals in the solid, and the speed of freezing.

Working metals tends to put stesses and strains into the crystal lattice, and to make it harder and more brittle. (try twisting a paperclip)

Heating metals up to within a few points of melting (like cherry red) tends to allow the stresses and strains to relax back to a normal state. So after this they can be worked on again.

Quenching metals in air, water or oil has the effect of freezing a range of different crystal pattern into the metal, which can be useful if you want suspension springs for a car, or the hardness of a file.

Varying the chemistry of the composition .... this is getting too much like a lecture.....

snow_imp
29-11-2009, 09:00 AM
But so useful to those of us who've never tried it Neil.

Keep lecturing away!