PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gems in Art Clay

Oakenelf
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi there:~:
I am new to the forum, just wondered if anyone has experience setting natural gems into Art Clay 650. It does say that it is possible both on cooksons website and on the instruction leaflet but I wanted to check first. I plan to fire the Art Clay at 650 degrees in a Jewellers kiln, not torch fire it, has anyone done this successfully and if so with what stone? Thanks, Oakenelf.

MuranoSilver
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Peridot normally comes out OK as do un-included natural rubies
I tend to use CZ's or set them after though
Nic x

Oakenelf
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I have about 10 1.2mm blue diamonds to set, thought it may be easier to set in Art Clay 650 directly and fire them in, I have been informed that is safe to fire the diamonds and by another party that I should not put them anywhere near the kiln. I have only 10 of these diamonds as they are all colour and size matched and it will take me 2 weeks that I dont have to get replacements should I make a mess!
Any advice much appreciated

bustagasket
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
:yeah: (cos i dont have a clue), but did want to welcome you to the forum :D:~:

MuranoSilver
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I have about 10 1.2mm blue diamonds to set, thought it may be easier to set in Art Clay 650 directly and fire them in, I have been informed that is safe to fire the diamonds and by another party that I should not put them anywhere near the kiln. I have only 10 of these diamonds as they are all colour and size matched and it will take me 2 weeks that I dont have to get replacements should I make a mess!
Any advice much appreciated

Do not put diamonds in a kiln. They are very, very likley to be destroyed. At the very least you'd have them discolour.
You could prong set them (you could embed fine silver settings) or rubover set them with burrs afterwards
both options for setting them post firing would also allow you to fire at 850 which would result in a stronger
finished product (better scintering of the metal)
Nicx

Oakenelf
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok- I am the queen of fiddly jobs but I am not going to be able to make sets for the size of these diamonds... I assume they can be bought ready made or is there a magic method of producing them without a microscope :) I could get one of those "Mad professor" head sets with the huge magnifiers on.... (I hand cut all my claw sets)

Oakenelf
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
hi Bustagasket, thanks for the welcome!