PDA

View Full Version : Which chains???

Rustic Charm
02-11-2009, 08:24 AM
i'm looking for some different chains to the ones i normally use as standard, obviously not too expensive as the bits i make aren't in the higher price range so don't want to have to overprice just to cover chain costs.
this is the type of thing i use at the moment but i know i need something better.
any ideas please??

Rustic Charm
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
anybody there!!!!!!! please........x x

Emerald
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Bridget, if a use chain i tend to use the snake chain, you can buy it in varying sizes x

Kalorlo
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
What kind of thing are you after? Better in what way - heftier?

I don't know much about the different chains available - I got a small assortment to play with, but I find them tricky to buy online because I have little idea of what they'll actually look like in person! (Also, Cookson's pages for chains aren't really ideal if you don't know what you're looking for... I wanted to see them grouped by type, belcher etc, so I could see what types there were!)

Boo
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I make my own up - as I prefer to use my own clasps etc. - many from the Belcher 3 chain from Cookies.

For some designs with smoother lines I use snake chains. Both work out about £5-£6 each for a 16-18" sort of length of necklace. Quite often, apart from time, the chain is the most expensive component in a necklace.

I think you can see some of each in my albums.

Rustic Charm
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Heather-by better i suppose i mean heftier,nicer looking, a good all rounder,

i do like the look of snake but i can only find really expensive ones.......??

Boo- if i made my own how's best to finish the ends off? also do you make you gift envelopes yourself or buy them? i have been hunting for something similar after i recieved a present in one.

Boo
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
You can buy all the components you'd need to close a chain - jumprings, clasps etc. from Cooksons - what you choose is entirely down to personal choice - there are many different components to choose from.

I make my own gift envelopes. I just make a batch up periodically and prepare a box of bows etc. ready to put them together when I pack orders.

You received one of my gift envelopes? I'm curious.

The snake chains I last got were 18" - product code: VV4 01H (£5.65 each)
16" - product code: VV4 01F (£5 each).

glen
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
hi there, the choice of chain would depend on what it would be used for really.

Rustic Charm
02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry Boo i was a bit mis-leading, i recieved a gift in a very very similar envelope to yours not one of yours, did you get a template from some where if so where would i be able to get one, i would like to make something similar just to use for present giving really.

Boo
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I created my own template - or rather my own methodology. It's part of the gift box tutorial I sell on Etsy. I'll PM you.

Rustic Charm
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
thanx Boo x x