PDA

View Full Version : Doming Blocks.......steel or wood?

lesley
01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
.......or perhaps a mixture.

When doming textured metal would the use of a steel block with wooden punches preserve the texture or would it be flattened out?

Oh, I want to buy so much!
Perhaps I should rename this thread "What should Lesley buy now?" :D

mizgeorge
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
steel with steel, wood with wood.

I use a wooden block and punches for stuff that's been through the mill (so to speak) and don't lose a lot of texture.

I don't bother with a full range of wooden punches, but have a full set in steel.

You can always texture a piece after it's domed by resting it on the domed end of the punch and hammering. You just need to be careful not to distort the shape.

lesley
01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
You can always texture a piece after it's domed by resting it on the domed end of the punch and hammering. You just need to be careful not to distort the shape.

I think I'd ruin the metal and the punch. :)

Now then, on p89 Jinks is using a brass block with wooden punches. What do you think of that!

I might leave this until next month's credit card bill.......this month's is getting scary.

mizgeorge
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Now then, on p89 Jinks is using a brass block with wooden punches. What do you think of that!

Not a lot ;)

Perhaps she couldn't find the right size metal one that day.....

lesley
01-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Ha ha ha! OK I give up on that idea. :D

SilverBlueberry
02-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I recognize the feeling. I could easily spends thousands in one day. Why don't I win the lottery? ;)

mizgeorge
02-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Lesley, you made me go and look that one up too ;)

She says that using the brass block/wooden punch combo is a more economical starting point. Given how ridiculously expensive wooden punches seem to be, I'm not convinced!

bustagasket
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
lol i wont have to worry about which to use - i only have the steel ones lol a little endulgence ready for a project in the queue :D

lesley
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Sorry, George, I don't mean this to become Jinks top trumps :) but she also says "Texture metal before doming or swaging. It is impossible to add texture after doming has taken place. When forming a textured piece, use a wooden punch because it will not mark or flatten the pattern of the texture."
That's why I thought I could mix them up.

Ominicci
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
But you also need to used a wooden doming block if the texture on the metal is on the outside of the dome too. the wood does not harm the texture as much as the harder metals like steel and brass, so it should be wood against the texture. Sorry to use the 'P' word but they have some basic punches and wooden doming blocks for VERY much less than Cooksons.

lesley
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh, don't worry, I've seen those.......and others. :)
I'm too impatient, I want everything NOW!