PDA

View Full Version : How proud are you of your fake Rolex watch?

geti-titanium
31-10-2009, 10:28 AM
We often see at the cinema adverts pointing out that video and film piracy is a crime and that we must stamp it out by not buying illegal copies of films, but it goes much deeper than this.

Spending on counterfeit luxury goods is up 10% on the previous year and often the proceeds from the sale of fakes go towards funding organised crime and terrorism.

On the other hand though are counterfeit products good for promoting the real goods and just another method of advertising for the genuine brand?

bustagasket
31-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I am not sure that i actually have a fake anything, well not knowingly! I certainly dont actually buy something because it is a copy of a luxury item i have seen elsewhere.

I really dont know the politics behind anything, but as it would appear to me in the jewellery business, all i can see is that the copies undermine the real article. But thats just my opinion.

Jayne
31-10-2009, 11:18 AM
are counterfeit products good for promoting the real goods and just another method of advertising for the genuine brand?

ask Burberry.........

BBC NEWS | Business | Burberry versus The Chavs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4381140.stm)

amazingbabe
31-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Very good Jayne very good..... I am with Geti on this one xx:Y: I reckon it all ties in with crime etc too.....

caroleallen
31-10-2009, 06:17 PM
As labels mean absolutely nothing to me, I wouldn't be at all proud of a fake Rolex, in fact I'd absolutely hate it. The only thing that matters to me is the design, not the designer.

Di Sandland
31-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Likewise. I prefer individuality to being the same as everybody else.

ben b
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
its not a fake rolex watch.....as it has a quartz movement!
They are (usually) sold as a very cheap imitation watches, not a forgery, to decieve
It is merely a cheap (but often reasonably well made) quartz movement watch, which infringes a 'deign look' that rolex used for thier watches 30 years ago, and still do! That, is all.
I think terrorists have sympathisers, and religious backers, not watch sellers lol.

Anyway, rolex themselves made cheap imitations of rolex watches...remember the tudor wtch brand! lol

Jayne
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
oh dahling, I so agree...

MuranoSilver
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I got a real one - 1971 same age as me
wear it almost every day and get it serviced every year
Doubt if a fake would last 38 years :Y:
Nic x

Boo
04-11-2009, 05:47 AM
My husband has one of about the same era, possibly slightly older, he bought it second hand from a good local jeweller who's husband deals in watches, after we were burgled in the early 90s and everything of value was taken - he got it with the combined insurance payout for all the other things he lost. He'd just always wanted a Rolex.

Like me, we both wear our 'good' watches all the time, for gardening, washing the car, everything. Which is their beauty, they're built to withstand it.

And if you have it serviced regularly and keep the log, it will almost certainly still be worth more than you paid for it. We've both been offered more for watches than we paid, so we see them as a good investment as well as something nice to enjoy.