PDA

View Full Version : Help with 'S' link please

Petal
29-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I've knitted a necklace and want to make it so that the wearer can have any length they like. I don't any tools to solder (yet). I have tried making jump rings, but they catch on the necklace. I have been trying all morning to make an 'S' link that will mean I can fit the 'necklace' through, so the length can be changed, as wished. The beads that are strung on wire at the moment, will be put onto 1.mm sterling wire and wrapped, so that I can feed the necklace through it and then through the 'S' link - hopefully.

Here's the necklace with the two 'S' links. The top link looks nicer, but doesn't feed through the necklace as smoothly as the bottom one (that looks crap!). BTW, the pale green beads were for another idea and will be removed later.

Any ideas on how I can make a link type thing that will look good guys?

Thx.

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 12:40 PM
JUles, I'm not sure that I really understand but have you thought about a toggle type thing so that the necklace can be worn like a lariat?

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd have to agree with Di here Jules... Can you try to describe your idea again...:)

Boo
29-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not getting it either, sorry. But happy to help if I can.

Petal
29-10-2009, 01:01 PM
huuummm, brain has disengaged with fingers here...#-o

Its supposed to look like this.

I'm trying to achieve the same look as one G. made - http://www.designedbygeorge.co.uk/USERIMAGES/marajo1.jpg As I don't have the sheet to make it with, I thought I'd use an 'S' link instead.

Does that make sense now??????

xx

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Could you make a giant coil wide enough to take your necklace and bend it in 2 so that the two halves lay next to each other then thread your necklace through this? You would need to make it for both sides wouldn't you...

Emerald
29-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Is this what you wanted Jules i use 2 mm wire

lesley
29-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry, I'm still not getting where the 'S' links go.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Just in case you didn't understand my description...
...does a drawing help??
Making coil tubes would replicate George's idea but with the use of wire. It would also help the necklace to glide through easier as a 'tube' rather than just one wire thick

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm still not getting it, Jules. But Bee obviously does and that looks like a very neat set up she's drawn

Emerald
29-10-2009, 02:08 PM
or the other way is to just add a bead that can be slid up and down the length, but having an inside diameter small enough not to slide on its own

Kalorlo
29-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Barbara: ohhh, cunning!

Jules: The part I'm not getting is how it'll be adjustable. I mean, I guess if it wasn't doubled all the way back up to the top like George's one, you could change how high it stopped being doubled, if that makes sense, but how would you secure it?

Petal
29-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the drawing Bee. Sorry I've been a while, my neighbour popped in:(|

This is what I was trying to achieve, but with an S link.

http://www.pixiewillowdesigns.com/page14.htm

I think your idea will work, but I don't (yet) have the skill to produce coils smooth enough so they don't catch on the fibres I've made the necklace with. What Emerald has suggested might do the trick with my limited skills - I'll have a go at practicing the link and see how that goes. Thanks guys for all your responses. Apologies for the poor explanation of what I'm trying to achieve :">

Heather - Id secure it by having a knot at the very end of each end (I think)??? oh dear - I think I'll put this design to a 'bad' one!

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Ah! I did it by having a bead with a very large hole but it wasn't on a knitted necklace, which will be rather thick.

The only other way I know of is to use a moveable knot thingie (http://www.athensbeadsandthings.com/Instructions/AdjustableKnots/adjustable-knots.html) but I'm not sure that would work on a knitted surface.

Petal
29-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I've just had a 'chuck it in the bin' moment. :(|

and [-X don't even think of wasting your valuable time on helping me on this one. I'll carry on with bead stringing and wire work until I know how to do the basics of silverwork - once I've been on a course ;)

Sorry guys :o

Jayne
29-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Jules
I'm coming to this thread rather late - soz - and I have to tell you that I'm not completely au fait with what you're trying to do, but I have made several observations.
- the 2 clasps that you made in copper - the bottom one doesn't look crap. It doesn't look as stylish as the top one, but it is wrapped in the middle (hence safe) and from what you said I'm assuming that it works??? Maybe it just needs a bit of 'prettying' to meet your approval?
- the top one which catches on the chain - maybe the basic design will work but just needs bigger loops?
- the chain itself is quite bulky. I noticed on the second photo that you posted of it, that the left side is significantly thicker than the right (I'm assuming that this is where it is doubled up). Will making it adjustable spoil the aesthetics of the necklace?
- It is one beautiful piece of work. I can't begin to imagine how you made it and I can't believe that you're beating yourself up over some teeny glitch at the end.
Take a step back and look at the exquisite necklace that you've just made =D>=D>
J x

Petal
29-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Jules
I'm coming to this thread rather late - soz - and I have to tell you that I'm not completely au fait with what you're trying to do, but I have made several observations.
- the 2 clasps that you made in copper - the bottom one doesn't look crap. It doesn't look as stylish as the top one, but it is wrapped in the middle (hence safe) and from what you said I'm assuming that it works??? Maybe it just needs a bit of 'prettying' to meet your approval?
- the top one which catches on the chain - maybe the basic design will work but just needs bigger loops?
- the chain itself is quite bulky. I noticed on the second photo that you posted of it, that the left side is significantly thicker than the right (I'm assuming that this is where it is doubled up). Will making it adjustable spoil the aesthetics of the necklace?
- It is one beautiful piece of work. I can't begin to imagine how you made it and I can't believe that you're beating yourself up over some teeny glitch at the end.
Take a step back and look at the exquisite necklace that you've just made =D>=D>
J x

Ah thanks for the compliments Jayne. :X Yes, I'm definitely having a 'beating myself up' day. I get so frustrated sometimes when a new thing doesn't go right, but its only because I'm learning a totally different technique and I think its probably like most things in life, you're constantly learning!

Yes, you're right about the two clasps, the bottom one works much better than the top one and doesn't catch on the necklace part. The necklace part is bulky on the left, because its actually beadalon wire with a beadstopper on the end to stop the whole thing falling apart and I've squished the necklace part around it to show how I wanted it to look. The cord that I knit into a necklace actually looks like this and I spent the last few evenings knitting it by the fire. I make scarves too and they are popular, so I thought I'd have a go at a 'necklace' made with the same stuff.... not to easy though :(|

I think you're right about not making it adjustable, perhaps I'll leave it to just be tied.

Thanks again Jayne.

xx

mochiandmocha
25-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry in advance I know I'm COMPLETELY off topic but your thread title sounds really too much like one I could read on a RPGvideo game forum ("S-link" stands for social link in Atlus' PERSONA games, excellent by the way!)

Anyway, our advice for an S-link would be to try and max them all up before the fall on the 31st Januaru 2010!! (cf Persona 3), ehhe!^_^

Mochi and Mocha, alias geek and geekette!
PS: Make sure you always equip a persona of the same arcana, it really helps!

Solunar Silver Studio
25-11-2009, 03:03 PM
"Que?":dontknow:
(In my best Manuel voice)

Petal
25-11-2009, 03:40 PM
"Que?":dontknow:
(In my best Manuel voice)

Like you Bee, I haven't a clue what these two are on about either??

mochiandmocha
25-11-2009, 04:44 PM
OK,...oups... I said we were really sorry and we didn't want to hijack the thread to turn it into a video game discussion.
However, for those in need of quality original (by that I mean different than boring TV) post-workshop entertainment, here's the link to the wiki page of persona 3 (if you scroll down to the parapgraph "gameplay" it explains about "s-links")!!^_^
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_3#cite_note-manual1415-31)
Have fun!

Mochi and Mocha
PS: for those NOT interested at all in video games..sorry..now we promise we'll be good little nezumiz.
PPS: You all know what's a "geek", right...coz with us on the forum you'd better get ready for serious geeky talk.