PDA

View Full Version : Copper solder

Pandanimal
29-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I would like to make some soldered copper rings. The solder my hubbie uses for plumbing is silvery in colour so that's no good. Silver solder wont do either as I don't want it to show. Is there something else I can use that is copper coloured? and where do I get it? or can I just melt the copper together? Might need a tut link for that.

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Put it in the forum search engine, Julia, cos the info is in there somewhere or other. The copper solder can only be obtained from the States but I've lost the link :(|

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Have you found it yet?? Try here ...http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/1159-pickling-question.html#post17485

Ominicci
29-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can coat the silver solder with something that makes it match the copper. I'll try and find it.

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 03:01 PM
You can pickle it along with some steel/iron in the pickle but the plating is so thin that its uselesss. Tried it - as did Boo. In fact, when it comes to copper, Boo is always the person to ask.

Ominicci
29-10-2009, 03:03 PM
This isn't it but I think it is the same idea - go to the middle posts in this thread page Here (http://cs.artjewelrymag.com/artcs/forums/p/234/639.aspx#639) Don't forget to keep it separate from pickle for silver!!!

EmmaRose
29-10-2009, 03:24 PM
don't forget a really tight well cleaned up silver seam is hardly visible....I don't know we only used silver solder even for copper.

Boo
29-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Ahem, I'm hardly an expert, I just like working with copper. :o

But I'd concur, the pickle trick works as such, but I didn't find it worth doing. It plates the solder with such a thin layer that the first polish removes it. As I like to antique, which involves some heavy cleaning, it doesn't stand a chance. I have some nice old screws that are copper plated though now.

I will try some of that copper solder at some time, but I generally try and keep the silver join as thin as possible or hide it in the design. Although if you hammer the design, it widens appreciably.

glen
29-10-2009, 04:35 PM
you can copper plate the finished piece to hide a silver solder. Even rose gold solder is slightly yellow so a solder mark on rose gold is easily seen too. In truth it is very difficult to hide solder marks on most metals perfectly.

There is another way and that is to mix your own solder using some copper but thats a little tricksy.

Celtic Dreams
10-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Tons of it on Amazon UK... search for "copper solder"

medusa
10-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Hopefully after five years they would have sourced some ;)

solitarysmagick
11-08-2014, 12:28 PM
my mother in law bought me some copper solder from amazon as part of my bday pressie, I've yet to test it out though. it comes in about 3-4" lengths of 2mm square wire so will need a bit of rolling down before use.

I have two pieces so if anyone would like some to test I'd be happy to post some out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk